autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional

Quote Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post
    Nick,

Very nice write up! One question...

I have a Master Blaster. If only one motor is turned on, is it safe to use for drying the engine bay?

Thanks,

Dan.
    Yes, I use it all the time to dry the motors and blow out the water on the coils and sensors. Its super important.

Also, I have found that my Tornadror filled with some super dressing works wonders in getting in all the nooks and crannies. There is nothing better than a clean engine and its the type of thing that customers don't realize how good it can look until its done.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nick, have you tried PERL as an engine dressing? Stuff looks amazing.

Great write up as well.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
    Hey Nick, have you tried PERL as an engine dressing? Stuff looks amazing.

Great write up as well.
    I have actually, and it does work great. I prefer an aerosol-based dressing for engine bays especially because it allows me to make sure no plastic, rubber or vinyl surface goes untreated.

Post Thanks / Like

Good writeup and great looking engine now!

I will say though that I wouldn't really recommend foil to cover the alternator. There is a stud on the back side of an alternator that a positive wire bolts to and is directly connected to the positive side of the battery so it is always energized, even with the key out of the ignition, unless the battery itself is disconnected or removed. This stud does have a black rubber boot in it to protect it from being shorted out and should be perfectly fine on newer cars, but I have seen many older cars that this boot has deteriorated to the point of falling off or the stud poking through it and even people just removing it all together when they replace an alternator as they think it is just a stupid extra part. I think that if you want to cover the alternator up then you should use plastic wrap or a shopping bag just to be safe.
    1982 Olds Cutlass - my summer toy.
    1999 Suburban - Black of course!
    2002 Bonneville - The Mutt, a mix of everything.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crash93ssei View Post
    Good writeup and great looking engine now!

I will say though that I wouldn't really recommend foil to cover the alternator. There is a stud on the back side of an alternator that a positive wire bolts to and is directly connected to the positive side of the battery so it is always energized, even with the key out of the ignition, unless the battery itself is disconnected or removed. This stud does have a black rubber boot in it to protect it from being shorted out and should be perfectly fine on newer cars, but I have seen many older cars that this boot has deteriorated to the point of falling off or the stud poking through it and even people just removing it all together when they replace an alternator as they think it is just a stupid extra part. I think that if you want to cover the alternator up then you should use plastic wrap or a shopping bag just to be safe.
    Great point! If you're unsure about exposed components in your engine bay, it's better to play it safe and do some research first. I was familiar with the location of said components in the Canyon and I felt comfortable using aluminum foil. If you're not familiar with your vehicle's mechanical and electrical components, it's a great idea to find someone with the same vehicle to see if they have any tips on the location of sensitive components. That's where forums come in handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up, and best of all I learned of a new "tool" (those lake country detail sticks).

Here's my engine on my (original owner) 12 year old truck (though I cheated a bit and have always kept it this clean)

One advantage of always keeping it clean is all the bright metal retains its brightness, whereas if you neglect it and clean it after a decade of grime has been sitting, even though it's clean it just doesn't have that original brightness.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful engine bay SR99! And it's 12 yrs old? Wow, looks better than new! One of the nice things about a truck is more room to work in..

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write up. Now I want the side kick! Great
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile detail View Post
    Yes, I use it all the time to dry the motors and blow out the water on the coils and sensors. Its super important.

Also, I have found that my Tornadror filled with some super dressing works wonders in getting in all the nooks and crannies. There is nothing better than a clean engine and its the type of thing that customers don't realize how good it can look until its done.
    Thanks. That's good to know.

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex22 View Post
    Warm/hot engine leaves water spots ur betterboff on cool engine.
    I have to somewhat agree with Jaretr1, especially if you're cleaning a heavily soiled engine like the diesels I am always working on, not just road grime.... Oils and Fuels are much easier to remove from engine surfaces when the engine is warm. I've always pulled my plugs apart and put a dab of dielectric grease on the seal and the socket just to keep water ect ect out. I got some work to do to make mine look like SR99's though.... Mine is clean but DAMN

NICE Writeup Nick !!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast