autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

The Definitive How-To Guide for Spray Waxes, Quick Detail Sprays & Waterless Washes

Every time I go to a high-end restaurant and they put nine forks, three spoons and four different glasses in front of me, I wonder what the heck I’m doing there. I could be at home eating a French Bread pizza that requires no silverware while watching a re-run of my favorite episode of Seinfeld. I mean really, does each fork do something different? They all successfully penetrate a medium-well steak, so what's the deal? The same can almost be said for all the different options available in a spray bottle to clean, protect, and shine up your car along with the necessary tools to utilize each respective product type. Once you understand the intended use of a quick detail spray, spray wax and a waterless wash, a quick visit to Autogeek.net will be anything but quick, because the options available to clean, shine and protect your vehicle are endless (almost).

Knowledge is infinite, and everyone loves a shiny car, so act like a sponge and start absorbing because I'm going to create the definitive explanation on one of the most popular topics on car care and detailing forums across the globe - spray waxes, quick detail sprays, and waterless washes.

Here is my definition of a spray wax, quick detail spray and a waterless wash.

Spray Wax: A product containing protective properties to protect and beautify the surface that it's designed to be applied to (ie: paint). A spray wax (sometimes referred to as a "spray sealant") is designed to be applied to paint that's squeaky clean and free of any dust, dirt, or contaminants. A quality spray wax will easily yield 3-4 months of stand-alone protection. A spray wax (spray sealant) is often used as a "booster" over an existing wax, sealant or coating.

Nick's Favorites:

Quick Detail Spray: Just as the name implies, a quick way to touch up your vehicle's finish. A quick detail spray often contains carnauba or polymers (some contain both!) to spruce up your vehicle's appearance. A quick detail spray is often used after a wash to boost the shine. Most quick detail sprays can also be used to remove light dust (don't worry, we'll get more into that later). While a quick detail spray can contain carnauba or polymers, they don't provide too much paint protection, like a spray wax does. Lubricants ensure you don't scratch the finish as you wipe away dust.

Nick's Favorites:

Waterless Wash: A waterless wash (often referred to as a "spray on car wash") contains an advanced blend of lubricants and cleaners designed to safely lift dirt and soil from your vehicle's finish without scratching. Spray on, wipe with a plush microfiber towel, buff, and the car is clean. Most waterless car wash products don't contain any protective properties and will not leave a shine that a true Auto Geek is satisfied with. Follow up with a spray wax so you can sleep at night.

Nick's Favorites:

Make sense? Great, now let's move on.

Take a look at Max's Vette below. Looks clean, right?

To the average uneducated onlooker, yes, the Vette looks clean and "shiny". But if you're sitting here reading this article while at work OR while you should be getting ready for your night out with your significant other, you're far from uneducated. What you are, is an Auto Geek.

Max's Vette looks clean and shiny, but upon closer inspection you can see that it's far from clean.

Fresh water spots.

Dirt and mysterious fibers.

Insects.

Now the question: "How dirty is too dirty for a quick detail spray?" begs to be answered. Light dust. That's your answer. A quick detail spray can be safely used to remove light dust. What is light dust? Light dust accumulates from the vehicle sitting inside or outside.

Don't confuse light dust for a film of dirt. That layer of light dust that can so easily be whisked away with a quick detail spray will turn into a film of dirt the next morning. Why? Dew. What is dew? Dew is moisture condensed from the atmosphere, especially at night, and deposited in the form of small drops upon any cool surface. (dictionary.reference.com).

By the next morning that harmless layer of light dust is now a film of dirt. What does that mean for you? You just need to change products, that's all. Once the layer of dust has transformed into a film of dirt, the correct product to use at this point is a waterless wash.

I performed an experiment on Max's Vette to demonstrate the difference between light dust and a film of dirt. I cleaned the vertical panels early in the morning and let them accumulate dust throughout the day, while the rear deck was beyond light dust, and had an actual film of dirt on the paint.

Swiping my finger on the rear deck.

The translucent yellow lines running parallel with each other show the path of my swipe. As you can clearly see, the area where I swiped my finger is cleaner, but not clean. This is because there is a film of dirt on the paint. If I were to use a quick detail spray at this point on Max's Vette, I could potentially scratch the finish.

You should know: Scratching the boss's car isn't the best way to ensure a paycheck the following week.

Swiping my finger on the rear quarter panel that was cleaned earlier that morning.

Like before, the translucent yellow lines show the path of my swipe. As you can clearly see, the area where I swiped my finger is clean. Dew has not had a chance to form yet, meaning the light dust is still just light dust. It's not a film of dirt. I could safely use a quick detail spray at this point.

Here at Autogeek, we believe selection is a good thing. For that reason, we have an abundance of different microfiber towels available and each one has its own intended use.

Chinchilla Microfiber Buffing Cloth (available in 16" x 16" & 16" x 24"): The Chinchilla Microfiber Buffing Cloth is super soft, super plush, and super snazzy. It features a thick pile surrounded by a luxurious red silk border. Every inch of this towel pampers your vehicle's paint.

Works best with: Waterless washes
    Can also be used with: Quick detail sprays, spray waxes
    You should know: No Chinchillas were harmed in the manufacturing of this towel.

Deluxe Jr. 600 Microfiber Towel (available in 16" x 16", 16" x 24", 25" x 36"): The Deluxe 600 is the cat's meow when it comes to microfiber towels. It's perfectly weighted, has a luxurious border, and when paired with a microfiber detergent, it will last longer than any microfiber towel should.

Works best with: Quick detail sprays
    Can also be used with: Waterless washes, spray waxes, wax removal
    You should know: There is nothing unmanly about a lavender microfiber towel.

Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel (available in 16" x 16", 16" x 24", 25" x 36"): This towel is often confused with the Deluxe 600 because of the similar specs and the identical price. The Supreme 530 is of a lighter weight, which makes it a better towel for spray waxes when compared to the Deluxe 600.

Works best with: Spray waxes
    Can also be used with: Waterless washes, quick detail sprays, wax removal
    You should know: One side of the Surpreme 530 has a flat weave, making it excellent for removing polishes.

Gold Plush Microfiber Towel (available in 16" x 16", 16" x 24", 25" x 36"): If the Super Plush Deluxe was a Corvette ZR1, this towel would be the Z06 - 9/10th the performance at a fraction of the cost. What makes the Gold Plush such a fantastic towel? It excels at everything! You can use this towel for all of your detailing needs.

Works best with: Spray waxes, quick detail sprays
    Can also be used with: Waterless washes, wax removal
    You should know: This towel occupies the most cabinet space in Autogeek's Show Car Garage.

Now that I gave you the gist of each towel, lets talk about the flim of dirt on the rear deck on Max's Vette. In order to safely clean the panel, I could either perform a traditional wash or a rinseless wash. This article is about spray products, so the correct one to use in this case would be a waterless wash. The waterless wash of choice was Blackfire Wet Diamond Waterless Wash paired with a Chinchilla Microfiber Buffing Cloth.

Blackfire Wet Diamond Waterless Wash provides a level of gloss and slickness that used to be exclusive to quick detail sprays. With its high lubricity formula and advanced blend of Wet Diamond polymers, Blackfire Wet Diamond Waterless Wash safely lifts away dirt and grime leaving a clean, glossy finish.

You should know: Blackfire Wet Diamond Waterless Wash is also available in a concentrate.

The hood of Max's Vette also had a film of dirt and half of it was cleaned with Blackfire Wet Diamond Waterless Wash. Can you tell which side was cleaned?

Blackfire Wet Diamond Waterless Wash also works great for touching up wheels and door jambs in between washes. Because it features Wet Diamond polymers, it will also provide a layer of protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Definitive How-To Guide for Spray Waxes, Quick Detail Sprays & Waterless Washes

Remember that the Vette's vertical panels were cleaned earlier that morning and had accumulated light dust throughout the day. Unless you were dozing off earlier, you should remember that light dust can safely be removed with a quick detail spray. The quick detail spray of choice was Pinnacle Crystal Mist paired with a Gold Plush Microfiber Towel.

Pinnacle Crystal Mist is a high-lubricity quick detail spray fortified with real carnauba wax and crystalline polymers. It safely removes light dust and is a favorite among enthusiasts across the globe for removing light dust and fingerprints on their show-cars during a show.

You should know: A little bit of Crystal Mist goes a long way.

Now that Max's Vette wasn't covered by light dust or a film of dirt, it was time to apply a spray wax. Remember, a spray wax needs to be applied to a surface that's squeaky clean.

As you'd expect from the CEO of a online retailer that sells high-end car care products and other detailing supplies, Max likes a shiny car. So when it comes time to applying a spray wax to his Vette or CLS63 AMG, Pinnacle XMT 360 Spray Wax is the obvious choice every time. Pair this spray wax with a Gold Plush Microfiber Towel and you'll be in heaven.

You should know: When using a spray wax, less is more! Unlike a waterless wash or a quick detail spray, you aren't trying to remove anything from the surface.

Let it shine!

The question; "How do I keep dust off my car's finish?" is asked just as often as "Is Tupac still alive?" I couldn't tell you the answer to the second question, but the answer to the first question is simple - a car cover.

A quality car cover from the likes of Covercraft is the easiest way to keep your vehicle protected against the outside, or inside, elements. If you have a garage, an indoor cover like the Tan Flannel seen below, will keep your vehicle from getting dusty for extended stays in the garage.

You should know: Car covers manufactured by Covercraft are custom made per application.

Covercraft doesn't skimp on the details. Double stitched seams are plentiful and the underside of the cover is as soft as the Chinchilla Microfiber Buffing Cloth. If Cinderella was a Corvette, this would be her blanket.

There you have it; everything you could possibly need to know about waterless washes, quick detail sprays and spray waxes. After spending some time typing this out, I think I might take a minute to do some research on the various eating utensils found at all those high-end restaurants that I so infrequently visit. After all, if each microfiber towel available has a specific intended use, I'm sure those nine forks must be good for something.

Check please.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Definitive How-To Guide for Spray Waxes, Quick Detail Sprays & Waterless Washes

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Every time I go to a high-end restaurant and they put nine forks, three spoons and four different glasses in front of me, I wonder what the heck I’m doing there. I could be at home eating a French Bread pizza that requires no silverware while watching a re-run of my favorite episode of Seinfeld. I mean really, does each fork do something different? They all successfully penetrate a medium-well steak, so what's the deal? The same can almost be said for all the different options available in a spray bottle to clean, protect, and shine up your car along with the necessary tools to utilize each respective product type. Once you understand the intended use of a quick detail spray, spray wax and a waterless wash, a quick visit to Autogeek.net will be anything but quick, because the options available to clean, shine and protect your vehicle are endless (almost).

Knowledge is infinite......
    Great write-up/pictures, Nick!!
    Fantastic analogy also...

Now...I don't get to frequent these high-end dining establishments you referrenced...
    And my biggest concern is what drink to order for the Lady when I'm out on a date...(Will it be a Diet soda, or an Orange drink, with her "Happy Meal")

Since you're so helpful...A little something for your perusal:

Following please find a tutorial on Dining at Finer Restaurants:

Usage of the: Restaurant's Placement of Utensils
    -Always use your silverware from the outside in. So if you have two forks, the outside fork is for salad and the fork closest to the plate is for your main course. The silverware will be removed as you finish each course.
    -There may be a third fork outside the salad fork for appetizers. Usually no more than three utensils are placed on each side of the place setting. If a fourth utensil is needed, it is placed above the plate and is usually for dessert and/or for coffee to be served with dessert. (NOTE: When you are seated, don't play with your utensils or make them a topic of conversation.)

How to hold utensils:
    -Before we begin, remember that these tips are for general use; more sophisticated techniques can be acquired, with time and experience.
    -First, it is important to hold the spoon and fork horizontally by balancing them between the first knuckle of the middle finger and the tip of the index finger while the thumb steadies the handle.
    -The knife on the other hand is used with the tip of the index finger leaning on the blade of the knife. Do not apply too much pressure; simply use it as leverage and guidance, as you cut your food.

-Pretty simple up to now, just remember to look around if you forget what to do in a particular situation. Just stay calm and enjoy the meal.

-The following are two styles of using utensils, the Zigzag method (North American Style) and the European Style. (I would suggest going with the European Style , it's more effective.)

The North American Style
    Normally, a utensil should be used with the same hand that you use to write. If you are right-handed, place the fork in your right hand. You should be able to eat and cut your food with the fork only (assuming you are at a fine restaurant where portions are usually small and the texture is soft). It might be very difficult to cut some types of foods, such as a big steak, so use your judgment when it comes to using a knife. This can lead to heavy maneuvering when foods, such as meats, require the use of both a knife and fork to obtain a bite of a manageable size. Simply take the fork in your left hand and turn the tines so that they point downwards. This will allow you to better hold the meat in place while the right hand operates the knife.

-Once a bite-sized piece has been cut, set the knife down on the plate and transfer the fork to the right hand. Pick up the freshly cut piece of meat and carry it to your mouth. Indulge . Remember this method is strict; you cannot even use the knife for hard to mount foods such as peas, and the fork must pick up everything on its own. As you can see, this style is slightly difficult to master.

The European Style
    -You can call it the European Style or the Continental Style . This method of using utensils is simply more efficient and less formal. Use common sense; if the occasion calls for a more formal technique use the American Style . According to the European Style , the fork will remain in the left hand and the knife in the right. When food is cut, the fork is used exactly as in the American Style , except that once a portion has been separated from the whole, it is conveyed directly to the mouth on the down-facing fork.

-You don't have to put down the knife every time and transfer the fork over to the right hand. As you can see, the European method is more forgiving and allows you to use your knife in more situations. With the European technique, it is also permitted to use a little piece of bread to ease a stubborn item onto the fork. Here's a quick tip: Whether you use the American Style or European Style , it's important to never cut more than one or two bites at a time.

-Used utensil placement:
    -Again many rules could be applied on the proper placement of utensils once in use. In order to simplify these rules, here are the basics. Essentially, used flatware should never touch the surface of the table. You wouldn't want to dirty the tablecloth, or get other material on the utensil. Make sure your fork and knife are well balanced on the plate when pausing for a drink. If the pause should last longer, make sure you place the fork on the left and the knife on the right, so that they crossover the center of the plate.

-Be prepared not to leave any utensils in a non-flat dish when the busboy comes around to clear the table. The soup bowl, the shrimp cocktail, or the teacups are all presented with a plate underneath; therefore use them to place the used flatware. For those of you who want a second serving, place the knife and fork on the right side of the plate, so that there is room for the food. Finally, when you are finished, pair up the knife and the fork horizontally or diagonally in the plate. The cutting edge of the blade should be pointing towards you. As for the fork, it can be placed upwards or downwards.

-Enjoy your dining experience and remember to always project a confident image, as it is one of the keys to success.

Next on the "menu":
    -Find out what you can eat with your fingers, and how to pass the salt.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nick!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Hey...Nick and Bob, you both should get together and write a book...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin' good Nick!
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Great write-up/pictures, Nick!!
    Fantastic analogy also...

Now...I don't get to frequent these high-end dining establishments you referrenced...
    And my biggest concern is what drink to order for the Lady when I'm out on a date...(Will it be a Diet soda, or an Orange drink, with her "Happy Meal")

Next on the "menu":
    -Find out what you can eat with your fingers, and how to pass the salt.

Bob
    Bob,

This actually made me laugh out loud, which isn't uncommon for your posts in my threads.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll be sure to study and implement them next time I eat at a place that requires using more than just my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by rock012345 View Post
    Hey...Nick and Bob, you both should get together and write a book...lol
    So long as Bob agrees to cover the technical stuff I'm game.

Post Thanks / Like

By far one of my favorite write ups. Great job Nick.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, I love the xmt 360 spray wax!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddieF View Post
    Nice, I love the xmt 360 spray wax!
    I was debating on getting some cause its on BOGO. But I just have so many products it would be a waste.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast