autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a new car off on the right foot

Just purchased a new Ford Edge Limited with the white platinum tricoat metallic exterior. I've washed it and put some Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant on it in anticipation of warmer weather. I would like to do what is appropriate work for a new car (shouldn't need polishing and can't see any blemishes in the surface at this point) but I'm not sure what that would include. I've been using ONR on it to keep it clean and have a QD to spot clean. Should I wash it to remove the current protection, clay bar, sealant and wax? I've always used a professional to detail my last vehicles but want to do this one myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Get a new car off on the right foot

I just bought a brand new car. I clayed it and polished it then put an LSP on it. I posted a thread with pics and you wouldn't believe the amount of contaminants it

pulled off. Polishing it gave a very nice shine to the paint in preparation for the LSP.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new car! I would use a very light polish with a Black pad. Or a paint cleaner. I would definitely clay as hoyt mentioned above.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the suggestions. What grade clay did you use. I've got some fine clay and ultra fine clay. I'll need to pick up some polish so any suggestions are welcome.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the fine clay would be good.
    I am working from the assumption that the rail dust on it is pretty bad, this could be wrong on my part.
    Generally new cars are pretty bad with it, you might have been a car carrier only transit from the manufacturing plant to your dealer.

If you prefer Menz products, you can give PO85RD a try for the polish on a black pad.
    PO85RD is a very light cut, high gloss polish. I like it better than Menz 106 myself.
    106 is a bit more aggressive and is marked as having the same finish on it.

Don't know if you have some polishes already, could be you have something that will do the same thing ( low aggressiveness high gloss finish ).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any polishes at this point (and no random orbital buffer or pads either) and I'm not married to any particular brand. I've bought a couple things to get me through till I have a good idea what I'm going to do, but that's as far as I've gotten. I can't speak to the amount of rail dust on the car. While I don't see anything obvious, that doesn't mean it's not there. I can afford to buy a few things to do the job properly, but was looking for suggestions from people who have been there. Usually it saves a few bucks and a lot of frustration.

Thanks

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat as prb2 with my new BMW. I bought a car that was already on the boat to the US and live in the NY area. I think the cars are dropped off in NJ so it would have been a truck ride instead so I don't plan to use anything for rail dust. I don't own a random orbital (yet) so Mike Phillips advised that if there is minimal issues with the finish PO85D would be a good idea if cleaning by hand or with rotary.

Just looking to get off on the right foot.

Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys. At this point it looks like I need to prep the surface by washing, claying, using some type of finish polish (or very light abrasive polish, especially if the clay leaves any scratches) and then seal/wax accordingly. I guess my only other question is whether there is anything between the polish process and the sealant/wax process (maybe just rewash with something like ONR)?

I appreciate the input. I have read a lot of Mikes articles and have enjoyed them. Sometimes my heads spins from all the products available so if anyone has any thing else to add, I'd love to hear about it.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new car and POST PICS OF THE RIDE!!!
    Who said you had to be a guy to like detailing?
    Eva

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast