autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax

Had great weather up here yesterday, so washed, clayed, polished and applied two coats of Collinite's 845 on the Altima.
    Will throw on some Fuzion in a couple of days.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

i just took the flip spout cap from my pb air freshener bottle and put it on the c845 bottle. we'll see if it clogs. i drop the bottle in warm water while im using it and that keeps it runny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Sounds like you didn't completely remove the product after it dried to a haze. A friend of mine ran into the same problem with the wax after he insisted on applying a heavy coat. His car is also black and the next day it was hazy. Try going over it with a quick detail spray or apply the wax thinner next time and be sure it fully dries to a haze before wiping it off.
    He let it dry for 45 minutes!

Sometimes 845 just does not want to wipe clean. My first trial with 845 did not go well because I had the same thing happen. Not sure that I ever did anything different, but I haven't had the hazing issue since the first time I used it (which has been a long time ago now).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    He let it dry for 45 minutes!

Sometimes 845 just does not want to wipe clean. My first trial with 845 did not go well because I had the same thing happen. Not sure that I ever did anything different, but I haven't had the hazing issue since the first time I used it (which has been a long time ago now).
    Yeah it's weird. I always let it dry for 45 minutes or more and I do the "swipe" test. I go over it numerous times with a cobra miracle towel and then go over it a few more times with another one. I look at it from different angles in the sun to make sure I got it all. Then the next day it is completely hazy and greasy looking. I have yet to remove it. If it doesn't come off after a wash I may have to strip it and use something else.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 845 for the first time today. I put it on with a crimson hydo-tech pad over BFWD that went on yesterday. Even after 2 hours it didn't haze nor pass the swipe test but it came off easily. Sure hope it doesn't get hazy overnight. One thing I noticed was that the BFWD seemed a lot more slick than the Collinite.

Oh and Nick, thanks for the great how-to. I referenced it many times.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that there are more than one point of view expressed here on the forum regarding how long to let 845 dry before removing. In fact, on the AG description page it says to wait 30 sec before removing. In fact, my method is to apply, then do another panel and to remove. At least several others have a similar method. Even with the harsh Rochester winters it lasts 5-6 months. I hardly need any buffing at all to remove it. You may want to give it a try.

Or, you may be applying to thick. It only needs a few drops per panel.

edit: If you apply 4 pea size drops panel after panel you are applying too much. The pad holds a lot of product. Use the glass test.
    Last edited by dougaross; 10-20-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IndeedSS View Post
    I used 845 for the first time today. I put it on with a crimson hydo-tech pad over BFWD that went on yesterday. Even after 2 hours it didn't haze nor pass the swipe test but it came off easily. Sure hope it doesn't get hazy overnight. One thing I noticed was that the BFWD seemed a lot more slick than the Collinite.

Oh and Nick, thanks for the great how-to. I referenced it many times.
    Just went out to check the morning after condition and it looks great My car is black btw.

I can certainly see why putting it on too thick may be a problem. I used a few plush MF towels to make sure it would some off clean and easy though.

Post Thanks / Like

I applied a coat of 845 yesterday, one week after claying and applying Menzerna Power Lock. I went out this morning and it was fairly cold out short of a frost, but in spots it looked like the car was frozen. I wish I took pictures, do you think I missed spots? Have people heard of this? When I touched the car it was wet but it was in the weirdest locations.

Post Thanks / Like

Just put it on the car, and currently it is hazing. You guys are not kidding, this stuff is easy to go on and a little bit goes a LOOOOooong way!

Now just gotta go buff it off in a little bit. Will update tomorrow!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Q: I've heard that because of 845's high solvent content that it often strips whatever is underneath. Can anyone comment on what will survive an application of 845?

I was thinking of putting a layer of Poorboy Black Hole or similar under 845 in the spring.

thanks,

Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast