autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    I have ordered and received my 845, but not yet opened or used it, but will be doing so this Sunday. I am glad to have found this post so that I am better prepared on what to expect. Thanks
    Don't know if you got a chance to use this yesterday.

I did my truck a few weeks back.

I took some hot water from the electric kettle ( made it for something else ) and I used an empty Clorox wipes container to set the bottle in. I would guess the water was ~ 140* ( feel when compared to the hot water tank in the house ), and I followed the fill line in this thread.

I put one of my spare White High Volume sprayer for 32 oz. Bottles on it and went to town. With this, I went easy on spraying the pad, so no need to do the kiss method on starting. I sprayed it nice and easy, and went on my way applying.

I used one of my new Red Hydro Tech pads to apply it with the PC on speed setting ~ 1 to 1.5 for a nice thin layer.
    Not a common case, but in Chicago it was ~ 45* and slightly higher humidity ( this is not typical JAN ) weather , so my dry time took ~ 60 min. At 40 min I still had a smear.

I did not know what the final look was going to be on my color paint, so I only used it on the rocker panels and the top of the cab & Cap.
    I am impressed with how it looks when compared to the other LSP I used, very nice finish. I went over it with the paste wax I use. Don't know if that should have been done. This was 2 thin coats of Natty's blue, don't see why it would be a problem, could have been a waste of product ( bonding ?? ).

The picture was taken for the layering test, on the front fenders and hood, I was doing with Black Hole and Nattys-blue, but you can see how well the rocker panel turned out

Glad I got the recommendation, I was in the writing it off as old school, just like the yellow can of Simonize.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Unfortunately I never got to use it

The car I did VW Polo 6R - Detailed by Lawrence spends all of it's time outside and so I thought the owner would be better off with a sealant. I had some Meguiars NXT Tech wax left so I used that instead.

The next car I do though will definitely get some Collonite loving.

Just for fun though I opened the bottle, checked out the thick wax, warmed it up into liquid form as per the instructions in this post, and then put it back.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be misled by the "wax" and "sealant" labels attached to different products as far as durability. I stock, use and recommend both. NXT has some very good properties that earn it a place on my shelf, but for durability 845 blows it away.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

What a timely write up for the 845 product. I just purchased a bottle last week and needed time to research it's usage. And there your write up was, GREAT JOB. Could you comment on usage for motocycles.. Can it hold up to the heat generated by some of the Harley engines? Thanks again for your great work.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically use 845 on motorcycles (along with a wide variety of other applications). Don't have the link right now, but I believe it holds up to high heat very well as there was a recent test somewhere and 845 ranked very high for a wheel sealant / wax.

edit: found the link

Collinite 845 Surprise Winner in Auto Express Wheel Wax Test | Performance Motorcare Blog
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigdriver4u View Post
    What a timely write up for the 845 product. I just purchased a bottle last week and needed time to research it's usage. And there your write up was, GREAT JOB. Could you comment on usage for motocycles.. Can it hold up to the heat generated by some of the Harley engines? Thanks again for your great work.
    Collinite #845 has a very high heat tolerance, it will work great on your motorcycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    I typically use 845 on motorcycles (along with a wide variety of other applications). Don't have the link right now, but I believe it holds up to high heat very well as there was a recent test somewhere and 845 ranked very high for a wheel sealant / wax.

edit: found the link

Collinite 845 Surprise Winner in Auto Express Wheel Wax Test | Performance Motorcare Blog
    Thanks for the post edit.. Excited !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I used the hot water method to help "liquify" my brand new Collinite. After the first warm water dunk, it still seemed a little solid in the center so I re-warmed the water in the microwave and dunked it a second time. This got it to the consistency we are looking for without much work/fuss.

The factory bottle is a good size, too big to want to lug around everywhere. I put some into the smaller A.G. bottles, and hid the remainder in a cool dry closet inside the house!

We finally got some dry weather and sun here in Houston, I'll be looking to use the 845 on my new (to me) black Honda Civic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
    I used the hot water method to help "liquify" my brand new Collinite....
    I re-warmed the water in the microwave and dunked it a second time. This got it to the consistency we are looking for without much work/fuss.

...hid the remainder in a cool dry closet inside the house!
    This seems contradictory to me...I "hide" my #845 in a warm, and dry 'location'...That's me, though.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    This seems contradictory to me...I "hide" my #845 in a warm, and dry 'location'...That's me, though.

Bob
    Well, its neither cool nor warm, but it is inside the house, so it stays at a stable temperature.

I hid it behind some stuff in a closet, I don't want some criminal or family member to get their hands on it without my consent

Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast