autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Properly Clean, Protect, & Maintain Wheels & Tires

awesome thread nick....very comprehensive....tommy likey wheely

Post Thanks / Like

Another great review Nick!

I really like the level of detail in both the photography and throughout the test demonstration. The products you used worked tremendously well and restored the wheel and tire to better than factory condition...

Awesome job buddy!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

I really like the level of detail in both the photography and throughout the test demonstration. The products you used worked tremendously well and restored the wheel and tire to better than factory condition...

Awesome job buddy!!
    Thanks Bobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Just what was needed!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, and tell Jason to clean those wheels more often! I have to say I am thinking Wolfgang is winning as one of my favorite dressings for the tires. It's not all greasey looking, has a nice matte finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

Awesome job buddy!!

How are those wheels "better than factory condition"? I agree they look brand new. The wheels looked relatively clean for 6 months of not being cleaned. Did you encounter any tar spots? I dont see any in the before picture.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday cleaning my wheels, I used the pinnacle wheel gel, since I ran out of ps21 and the pinnacle worked well to wash the grime and brake dust.

I have a ton of black spots on my wheels that are very stubborn. I tested the tarminator, 3m adhesive remover, and wurth tar remover. I really did not see much results from the wurth and 3m products which were much more expensive than the tarminator. The 3m adhesive remover is very good at removing adhesive however. The tar spots dissolved little by little. I used the pinnicle bug and tar remover sponge which i cut up so it will fit into the wheel. I let the tarminator dwell, wipe away some of the dissolved tar and scrubbed with the sponge. I eventually gave up after three hours. I attempted to clay using the tarminator as lube but that didnt work, haha, maybe if i mixed in some regular clay lube also. I plan to clay and see how that works out. I will try and document my steps in a seperate write-up with pictures.
    2007 Mercedes Benz S550
    Arctic White/Pano roof/AMG package

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up Nick! I would like to hear your product recommendation for cleaning the "Black Chrome" wheels on my Garage Queen. Time to pull her out for Summer showin' off. TIA.

Glenn
    1997 Subaru SVX Ebony Mica Pearl (Garage Queen)
    1998 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon Glacier White (Mule)
    2005 Cadillac STS N* Sandstorm Metallic (Travel-Sled)

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tempter927 View Post
    How are those wheels "better than factory condition"? I agree they look brand new. The wheels looked relatively clean for 6 months of not being cleaned. Did you encounter any tar spots? I dont see any in the before picture.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday cleaning my wheels, I used the pinnacle wheel gel, since I ran out of ps21 and the pinnacle worked well to wash the grime and brake dust.

I have a ton of black spots on my wheels that are very stubborn. I tested the tarminator, 3m adhesive remover, and wurth tar remover. I really did not see much results from the wurth and 3m products which were much more expensive than the tarminator. The 3m adhesive remover is very good at removing adhesive however. The tar spots dissolved little by little. I used the pinnicle bug and tar remover sponge which i cut up so it will fit into the wheel. I let the tarminator dwell, wipe away some of the dissolved tar and scrubbed with the sponge. I eventually gave up after three hours. I attempted to clay using the tarminator as lube but that didnt work, haha, maybe if i mixed in some regular clay lube also. I plan to clay and see how that works out. I will try and document my steps in a seperate write-up with pictures.

I didn't come across any tar on the wheels, but I didn't pull them off to completely inspect them either. The Pinnacle Bug & Tar Sponge comes in handy for a variety of uses. Way to be creative.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman7 View Post
    Great write-up Nick! I would like to hear your product recommendation for cleaning the "Black Chrome" wheels on my Garage Queen. Time to pull her out for Summer showin' off. TIA.

Glenn
    You can't go wrong with the Boar's Hair Wheel Brush and Pinnacle Clear Coat Safe Wheel Cleaner. If you're ever not sure which combo to use, that's your safest bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan
    Nice review, and tell Jason to clean those wheels more often! I have to say I am thinking Wolfgang is winning as one of my favorite dressings for the tires. It's not all greasey looking, has a nice matte finish.
    I agree, the Wolfgang is definitely going to be on the shelf at home with my other favorite tire dressings.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nick!

In this case, I went with safe, over sorry. Most new cars from the factory feature "chrome tech" wheels as an option, which is basically a plastic chrome hubcap placed over an aluminum wheel.
    You beat me to it! Was going to ask you if this applied to the "Chrome Tech" wheels!

Nice write up!
    Kurt
    Is your ride a "Diamond in the Rough?"

Post Thanks / Like

wow. that was a great write up. i use opti seal on my wheels. i see it there in your pic. i like it because it so much easier to apply.

anyone else use opti seal for their wheels?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast