autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

The Definitive Guide to Headlight Restoration Kits

Headlight restoration is one of the most popular topics in the car care industry. I often receive PM's from members asking which is the best and/or easiest kit to use.

This thread is designed to make the process of selecting a headlight restoration kit easier for you, the consumer, along with the professional detailer.

The first kit that comes to mind is the Diamondite Clear Plastic Headlight Kit for Plastic Lenses. This kit was designed specifically to be used to restore cloudy, discolored plastic headlight lenses in three simple steps. Once the headlights are restored and look new again, use the included protectant in the kit to protect the headlights from future discoloration. All this kit requires is an electric drill and a little bit of time.

This kit can restore on average 6-8 pairs of headlights.

The kit is designed to be used with an electric drill but can also be used with a rotary polisher right out of the box or a dual action polisher with the optional DA adapter.

For the professional detailer who will be restoring a larger quantity of headlights, this kit is available in a Professional Kit that has enough product to restore up to 25 pairs of headlights.

Another one of the more popular kits is the Wolfgang Plastik Lens Cleaning System. Like the Diamondite kit, this kit is designed to be used on plastic headlight lenses that are cloudy and discolored. This kit will effectively remove the haze and discoloration while also protecting the headlights with the included Plastik Surface Sealant.

This kit can restore on average 6-8 pairs of headlights.

The kit is also designed to be used with an electric drill but can also be used with a rotary polisher right out of the box or a dual action polisher with the optional DA adapter.

This kit is also available in a Deluxe Kit that can restore on average 12 pairs of headlights.

3M makes a very easy to use Lens Renewal Kit that's designed to restore 1 pair of headlights. Although this kit will effectively remove the cloudiness from dull headlight lenses, it does not include a lens sealant to protect the headlights from future discoloration.

Designed to be used with an electric drill and is also available without the masking tape. 3M Lens Restoration System.

Flitz takes a slightly different approach with their Headlight and Plastic Restoration Kit. Instead of using a sanding disc or foam pad to restore the headlight lenses, this kit utilizes Flitz's "BuffBall" that's designed to be used with a drill. The kit includes a tube of the Flitz Polish and a scuffing pad.

Meguiar's offers several headlight kits, the first one being the Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit. This kit in particular is designed for moderate to sever oxidization and cloudiness on plastic headlight lenses. Similar to the 3M approach, this kit utilizes sanding discs and a plastic polish but also includes a clear plastic protectant to prevent future fading and oxidization of the headlight lenses.

If you're headlights aren't in too bad of shape and just require a little touch up to make them look new again Meguiar's has you covered with their Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit. This kit is very easy to use and will effectively remove mild oxidization and dullness from the lenses.

Mothers' take on headlight restoration utilizes their Powerball For Headlights along with their PowerPlastic Polish to remove discoloration and oxidization. Not only does the PowerPlastic Polish effectively remove the oxidization and dullness, but it also applies a durable layer of protection to prevent from future fading and dulling of the headlight lense.

For severely dull headlights, the kit also includes two sanding pads to remove heavy oxidization.

Most people are often hesitant when it comes to working with power tools to restore their headlights, but the above mentioned kits make headlight restoration simple and easy. Hopefully this guide will provide some insight and encouragement to those of you that have headlights that either need to be restored or just touched up.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Definitive Guide to Headlight Restoration Kits

I used the Meguiar's kit for mine (not the heavy duty one) and was not pleased at all. My lights were not that bad. I then switched and used the 3M kit and it worked great!!!! Now I've got friends that want me to do theirs!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Nick! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 3M kit on my Avalon almost 2 years ago. I loved it! My headlights were really disgustingly yellow and hazed. They looked like new once I was finished. Although I think it's time for them to be restored once again. But probably something less aggressive. They don't look as bad as they were, but don't look like new.
    1999 Toyota Avalon XLS - Diamond White Pearl

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if I need a more aggressive kit, like 3M, or something (easier?) like the Diamondite or Wolfgang kits. Here are a couple of shots I took from above. The front of the lenses are actually in pretty good shape, but the tops look fairly bad, especially right around the edges. Any advice on the best kit for this job is appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I would absolutely get the 3M kit or something similar for your lights. I have used a few kits and I have had much better luck with the 3M kit. In fact, it's what got me started doing the headlights in the first place. Good news is you can probably start with the 1000 grit discs and work up from there. I don't think you need to be as aggressive as the kit allows.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nick!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn