autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey great write up scott. One quick question, your rotors look great because you don't use acid based products. What do you suggest to do if they are orange/brown and you want to get them back to a normal looking color? Wiping them with a towel works okay, but wondering if you had a better technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abrcrombe
    Hey great write up scott. One quick question, your rotors look great because you don't use acid based products. What do you suggest to do if they are orange/brown and you want to get them back to a normal looking color? Wiping them with a towel works okay, but wondering if you had a better technique.
    drive it and apply brakes ... it is just surface rust. Problem is storage of vehicles. Lets say that wet rust and the pads wet rust came together and car was stored for several months. You get that nice lurch and strange sounds when moving for the first time.

I personally find that allowing the car to roll down the driveway into street with brakes applied lightly, and then backing into the garage works wonders. Only other choice .. ceramic brake pads which typically use different binders to reduce heat and fade.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    thanks guys .... yes the post was locked for a bit. Seems even a mod is limited to how much space we use per post. I wanted it to be in order, without having to move/delete anyones posts/questions.

as for dressing the wheelwells, it is a bit of a pain. While washing I use a thin toilet brush and scrub them with wheel cleaner. I then blow them dry with the leaf blower while working the wheels. Finally I use a cheap aerosol tire gloss that sprays well. I find AA Foam / Stoners More Shine / and one other to work perfectly (black purple can/ chrome wheel). I actually keep the nozzle from them when can is done, so I can use them on others.
    Yep, aerosol tire sprays are a wheel well dream. The wind and foam can do a number on windows but that's why you do them last!
    I believe you're talking about No-Touch's Tire Shine (not a foam). It's very nice and lasts well too.
    Formerly "justin30513"

www.clean4udetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent write up, this should be a sticky.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I'm talking about! Great write up, and great pictures. I love this one -

2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome write up and pictures. Thanks Killr.

Vette question for you. Don't the older vettes have a fiberglass or some such compund body? A neighbor has a vette that looks like a 70's model. He parks it in the driveway and the yellow color looks very faded. I often wonder what products would be used to make it look good. Do you use the same products as on metal cars?

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Vettes have been made of fiberglass and even plastic over the years. It is now some polycarbonate base almost like lexan. Remember though that the car has been finished and painted. So as such we are really working on the paint, not on the makeup. Would you detail an all aluminum Jag any different that a 78 Thunderbird of steel ?? Not necessarily, we would take into account the makeup of the paint (single stage versus multistage).

Older Vettes are usually much more friendly to compounded and polishing, whereas the newer ones tend to have a harder clearcoat.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    Vettes have been made of fiberglass and even plastic over the years. It is now some polycarbonate base almost like lexan. Remember though that the car has been finished and painted. So as such we are really working on the paint, not on the makeup. Would you detail an all aluminum Jag any different that a 78 Thunderbird of steel ?? Not necessarily, we would take into account the makeup of the paint (single stage versus multistage).

Older Vettes are usually much more friendly to compounded and polishing, whereas the newer ones tend to have a harder clearcoat.
    Thanks. I didn't know they are now made with a polycarbonate body. Shows how much I know! I figured the answer might be it's the same process but I thought I'd ask.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    That post answered a ton of questions I had but never dared to ask. Thanks Killr!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awsome write up now all i need to do is get a car like that hehe

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast