autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Hair line scratches on Wood Trim?

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    Update and I am excited!!! This new SMAT Scratch X is amazing. The old one did hardly nothing and this new formula is quite different.

But, WOW! This hand working takes a lot of time and patience. But considering my hand RPM versus a machine, it all makes sense. For the Pros to charge accordingly this would be a costly process with small area results.

I noticed it took many applications and talk about working small areas. I noticed two inches by two is all the larger I could go to feel effective and smaller than that was better. I got my best results with fast movements and a lot of pressure with a sponge applicator.

WestEnd,

After reading the above description of your experience in rubbing out small trim panels like you have inside your car...

Does what I wrote previously in this thread now make more sense sense? See the portion in bold blue

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Technique is everything when working by hand...

When it comes to working on small panels like these trim components, the problem is usually having enough room to move your hand back and forth fast in an effort to abrade the surface to remove enough material to level the surface.

If the trim component is out in the open it's not a problem, but as the trim component is surrounded by things like displays, switches, buttons, levers, etc, as these thing get in the way you can't get in there and put some passion behind the pad.

Did what I describe match your experience?

Mike Phillips

Re: How to Remove Hair line scratches on Wood Trim?

I've inserted a blue clickable link to the top of the first post of this thread to make it easy for anyone to copy, paste and share this article with others.

I've also added it to a new category at the bottom of my articles list.

How-To Articles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hair line scratches on Wood Trim?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Does what I wrote previously in this thread now make more sense sense? See the portion in bold blue

Did what I describe match your experience?

Hey Mike,

Yes, it does make perfect sense and was what I experienced. The tighter areas around the shifter, window buttons, etc. were much harder to correct. I couldn't get the hand movement quick enough with a one finger pressure for what I noticed did the best job. I ended up using more pressure and many more passes to get it where I was satisfied with the result. Eh Hum, much more passion behind it. My foam applicator folded and edged down onto it was the best result.

The process is definitely hands on, if you will, haha. I can't imagine getting a machine in most of the areas, as mentioned in another post, maybe a dremel. But, I couldn't get a drill or DA anywhere near where it would have been more effective than just my hand without causing damage to the leather shifter, buttons, etc.

The space on the vertical panel in front of the shifter was probably the toughest, or maybe we should say required the most creativity, simply due to hand position and narrow working area. I really should have a pic of that position, it probably looked hilarious. I had one knee on the floorboard, facing rearward, reaching across myself... eh! You get the idea. LOL

Variations in hand speed and pressure is definitely the key to getting this done.

Post Thanks / Like

Would a dremel tool with a flex shaft be useful for this purpose?
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post

ahhh a flex shaft, now thats a good idea...i think they make those for drills as well...i dont know about if they make a pad small enough for a drill thou....good idea either way
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    I've seen threads with people doing this kind of small detail work before on small "things", if someone were to do this on the inside of their car then just to be careful it would be a good idea to cover some areas like vents, or radios, and gages, etc with some towels, or microfiber towels or even some plastic drop cloths like the 2 mil plastic drop cloths you can get at hardware stores, even though the buffing pads on a dremel are small they can still throw a little splatter.

Easier to tape-off and cover up versus clean up after the fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Update and second try on a different type of wood.

This looks more like the previous pictures that they say are wood look a likes, it could be. It had a definite different feel than the burled walnut console and was much easier to work.

I tried a Dremel with the flexible shaft and attached small microfiber pads to the end for the tight areas. It just wasn't very effective. The speed looked good but without being able to apply pressure I just couldn't get the results.

So back to the hand I went with great results.

Applied as before with a foam applicator. Megs Scratch X 2.0 left haze, then M205 removed that and M21 cleared it up.

Before

After Scratch X 2.0

After M205 and M21 Sun wasn't in window for exact comparisons but it was improved and clear.

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    Update and second try on a different type of wood.

This looks more like the previous pictures that they say are wood look a likes, it could be. It had a definite different feel than the burled walnut console and was much easier to work.

I tried a Dremel with the flexible shaft and attached small microfiber pads to the end for the tight areas. It just wasn't very effective. The speed looked good but without being able to apply pressure I just couldn't get the results.

So back to the hand I went with great results.

Applied as before with a foam applicator. Megs Scratch X 2.0 left haze, then M205 removed that and M21 cleared it up.

Before

After Scratch X 2.0

After M205 and M21 Sun wasn't in window for exact comparisons but it was improved and clear.

Wow that turned out awesome, nice job man. So when are you gonna come over and do all the wood in our Chevy Express Sherod conversion van...its only like 18 feet long and filled with wood from front to back...you could be done by 2014 if you didnt sleep ...
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Packing my bag, be right there. LOL Actually maybe this winter when I need an AZ getaway.

My Dads new F250 has wood all over it (swirled) he wants it done after seeing my car. I am even dodging that one.

Thanks, the trim is fun to work on.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice. I haven't tried this on my wood yet, but I am incline to take this process one step beyond M205 by using Menzerna 085RD to remove the very light haze (if any remains)
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast