autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hair line scratches on Wood Trim?

Try a good polish as discussed above and top with this RENAISSANCE Microcrystalline WAX POLISH

It has worked wonders on my custom knives and other woodworking restoration.
    2015 Oxford White Mustang, Premium, 50th Anniversary Package
    2015 Bronze Fire Metallic Ford Edge Titanium

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    Update and I am excited!!! This new SMAT Scratch X is amazing. The old one did hardly nothing and this new formula is quite different.

But, WOW! This hand working takes a lot of time and patience. But considering my hand RPM versus a machine, it all makes sense. For the Pros to charge accordingly this would be a costly process with small area results.

I noticed it took many applications and talk about working small areas. I noticed two inches by two is all the larger I could go to feel effective and smaller than that was better. I got my best results with fast movements and a lot of pressure with a sponge applicator.

I still need to work on reducing haze if I can. Maybe a little more time with 205??? Or M21??? Some more experimenting to go but wanted to show this is coming along nicely.

After Scratch X 2.0

After 205

Wow, good job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benzer77 View Post
    Wow, good job.
    Sorry Benzer, I didn't mean to steal your thread but you got me all excited to give this a try.

Thanks everyone. Now that it's cleaned up I will keep trying Different LSPs to see what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    Very impressive. How long did this 2" section take between the SwirlX and 205?
    That one spot was time consuming with all of the trial and errors. Overall I spent about an hour and a half on that little section.

I finished the rest of it today with the same process and I got it done in three hours, plus lunch break. I stayed somewhat cautious on RIDS, etc since I didn't know the thickness of the clear.

Here is one reflection, my bike out the window hanging from the ceiling. Couldn't get both the bike and buttons in focus, so of course I went for the bike.

Last edited by WestEnd; 10-22-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Pic

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Benzer, I didn't mean to steal your thread but you got me all excited to give this a try.

Thanks everyone. Now that it's cleaned up I will keep trying Different LSPs to see what works best.

That one spot was time consuming with all of the trial and errors. Overall I spent about an hour and a half on that little section.

I finished the rest of it today with the same process and I got it done in three hours, plus lunch break. I stayed somewhat cautious on RIDS, etc since I didn't know the thickness of the clear.

Here is one reflection, my bike out the window hanging from the ceiling. Couldn't get both the bike and buttons in focus, so of course I went for the bike.

Very nice! Now I know how long to to allot for my letter project.

Post Thanks / Like

2008 Audi with Gray Birch wood trim and lots of fine scratches. I used my Polishing Pal with Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover on a white pad followed by 205 on white pad, followed by 205 on gray pad and finally by KAIO on gray pad.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    2008 Audi with Gray Birch wood trim and lots of fine scratches. I used my Polishing Pal with Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover on a white pad followed by 205 on white pad, followed by 205 on gray pad and finally by KAIO on gray pad.
    I was thinking about a polishing pal but don't have one. I bet that would be useful. Do you have some pics, would like to see that.

Curious, do you still get a little haze look when you take pics straight down? I don't on paint but with the wood I still do but it only shows up in the pics. Curious if it is the finish?? It's almost like mine seems to be under the surface where it is a little hazy. Of course it's not bad at all I am just being super critical.

Post Thanks / Like

How to Remove Hair line scratches on Wood Trim?-wood-jpg
    I'm not quite sure if there is haziness here or not. This actually the first pic I posted. But there were many small scratches (especially above the Quattro) that are not there now.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    How to Remove Hair line scratches on Wood Trim?-wood-jpg
    I'm not quite sure if there is haziness here or not. This actually the first pic I posted. But there were many small scratches (especially above the Quattro) that are not there now.
    Looks great. yeah, ok, that is the exact same look mine has. I also looked at a brochure and saw the same thing so I am good with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for trying, looks great!!

Mike Phillips

Thanks to everyone that participated in this thread and then went out into their garage and got to work and then shared their before and after pictures plus process and technique.

This type of detailing issue doesn't come up too often as most people are more interested in working on the outside of the car but it does come up and this will be a helpful resource thread moving into the future.

I'm going to add the words "How To" to the title of the thread and move this to the "How To" forum.

Just to ensure the pictures don't disappear if they're hosted on Photobucket, I'll upload them to their perspective owner's galleries here on Autogeek so they don't turn into red x's into the future.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast