autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hair line scratches on Wood Trim?

Thanks Mike,

That area is the worst of it, the rest is in pretty good shape. I think with that being the flat part in front of the storage compartment between the seats, it has had a lot of things dragged across it over the years.

You guys could invent/design some sort of 1" or so size pads to fit a drill or dremel to get to these areas.

I am a little apprehensive but, that's all part of the fun right?! These panels can be removed from the car and make it possible to use a machine. Then you risk the possibility of causing larger problems, rids, breaking attachment pins, etc.... Or maybe it's time for a road trip to AG.

I am going to go after it in a test spot as you suggest with new SX. I will report back when I get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thanks for taking the picture and attaching it... I tool the liberty to download it and then upload it to the AG Gallery so I can insert it for easier viewing and thus easier discussing...

benzer77

Does the above picture resemble what you are also working on?

Hi Mike, Thank you for your help, yup it resembles, however my car wood trim is in spectacular shape, except the center console... It's a very glossy Ash wood trim though not the lighter color, so scratches show more in the darker wood finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thanks for taking the picture and attaching it... I tool the liberty to download it and then upload it to the AG Gallery so I can insert it for easier viewing and thus easier discussing...

benzer77

Does the above picture resemble what you are also working on?

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    Thanks Mike,

That area is the worst of it, the rest is in pretty good shape. I think with that being the flat part in front of the storage compartment between the seats, it has had a lot of things dragged across it over the years.

You guys could invent/design some sort of 1" or so size pads to fit a drill or dremel to get to these areas.

I am a little apprehensive but, that's all part of the fun right?! These panels can be removed from the car and make it possible to use a machine. Then you risk the possibility of causing larger problems, rids, breaking attachment pins, etc.... Or maybe it's time for a road trip to AG.

I am going to go after it in a test spot as you suggest with new SX. I will report back when I get there.
    I am not a professional detailer and I have tired ScratchX 2.0 but it never worked, maybe I didn't use the right technique? so what's the right way of using ScratchX? Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by benzer77 View Post
    I am not a professional detailer and I have tired ScratchX 2.0 but it never worked, maybe I didn't use the right technique? so what's the right way of using ScratchX? Any ideas?

Thanks guys.
    Technique is everything when working by hand...

Here's a short, and incomplete video that starts to go into how to apply a paint cleaner but since it was a promo, to promote the purchase of a DVD it doesn't go into much detail.

Short video on how to move your hand

Removing defects by hand comes down to,
    • How to move your hand
    • How much pressure to apply
    • Application Material Selection
    • Product Selection

Seriously, after teaching hundreds of classes and thousands of people how to remove swirls and scratches by hand, here or the most common problems...

• People applying a product like a finishing wax, that is gently... this won't do anything
    • Not applying enough pressure - no passion behind the pad...
    • Not moving your hand fast enough
    • Tackling too large an area at one time
    • Not applying enough applications
    • Not using enough product

When it comes to working on small panels like these trim components, the problem is usually having enough room to move your hand back and forth fast in an effort to abrade the surface to remove enough material to level the surface. If the trim component is out in the open it's not a problem, but as the trim component is surrounded by things like displays, switches, buttons, levers, etc, as these thing get in the way you can't get in there and put some passion behind the pad.

Removing the components would be best as long as you don't cause even more damage to the vehicle in the process.

I've made small pads for the rotary before but now days Griot's Garage has a really nice orange 3" polishing pad out that fits on a 2 3/4" backing plate, this is still too large for some areas but could be used for larger sections. Of course if you can't remove the component then you would want to tape-off and cover anything your don't want accidental splatter to get onto.

And as mentioned before, film-build thickness is always going to be an issue...

Post Thanks / Like

Update and I am excited!!! This new SMAT Scratch X is amazing. The old one did hardly nothing and this new formula is quite different.

But, WOW! This hand working takes a lot of time and patience. But considering my hand RPM versus a machine, it all makes sense. For the Pros to charge accordingly this would be a costly process with small area results.

I noticed it took many applications and talk about working small areas. I noticed two inches by two is all the larger I could go to feel effective and smaller than that was better. I got my best results with fast movements and a lot of pressure with a sponge applicator.

I still need to work on reducing haze if I can. Maybe a little more time with 205??? Or M21??? Some more experimenting to go but wanted to show this is coming along nicely.

After Scratch X 2.0

After 205
    Last edited by WestEnd; 10-22-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

good job looks great!
    Ryan

Mike Phillips

Update and I am excited!!! This new SMAT Scratch X is amazing. The old one did hardly nothing and this new formula is quite different.
    The new SMAT products are amazing... I had to get the same results with the DAT technology for so many years with a ton more work and 30 sets of eyeballs watching me live.

With UC, SwirlX, ScratchX and even M105, (all are SMAT and all can be applied by hand), removing swirls, scratches and water spots by hand is easier than ever and this is especially true for modern clear coat paints because they are so much harder than traditional single stage paints. See this article,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...at-paints.html

Mike Phillips

But, WOW! This hand working takes a lot of time and patience. But considering my hand RPM versus a machine, it all makes sense. For the Pros to charge accordingly this would be a costly process with small area results.
    You nailed it... get some Ultimate Compound and it will go faster and be easier.

I noticed it took many applications and talk about working small areas. I noticed two inches by two is all the larger I could go to feel effective and smaller than that was better. I got my best results with fast movements and a lot of pressure with a sponge applicator.
    That's the technique, you move your hand fast and put some passion behind the pad...

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

I still need to work on reducing haze if I can. Maybe a little more time with 205??? Or M21??? Some more experimenting to go but wanted to show this is coming along nicely.
    Using a less aggressive product, clean soft foam applicator pad and a more gentle motion with less pressure from your hand and the end of the process. This is why I always say,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

"Polishing paint is an art form... not a grinding process..."
    Great before and after pictures that will inspire others to follow your path to their own success...

After Scratch X 2.0

After 205
    A coat of wax or paint sealant will remove any hazing and maximize the clarity, gloss and shine plus make the surface slippery to resist future scratching and leave the surface protected.

Nice work...
    So often people will type and type and type and ask question after question after question when what's needed is what you've done...

Push away from the keyboard and go out into your car and then try something...

Post Thanks / Like

After 205
    Very impressive. How long did this 2" section take between the SwirlX and 205?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast