autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

What process or steps do you recommend for detailing a McLaren 650s that has paint protection film?

What process or steps do you recommend for detailing a McLaren 650s that has paint protection film?

Typing time is limited so I prefer to answer question in a place where the time invested in typing is best leveraged. For everyone that has a question there's probably someone else that has the same question they just don't ask it for whatever their reasons?

Received the below over the weekend, so I'll answer it here and then send the link to the person.

The subject line in the e-mail is interesting?

Subject: Question not covered in your How to use RUPES

Hello Mike,

What process/steps do you recommend for detailing a Mclaren 650s that has paint protection film (either 3M or Xpel) covering the entire front and side panels?

Your question about what process or steps do I recommend for detailing a McLaren 650s is a great question.

The statement in the subject line of the e-mail about not including specific information about buffing out clear plastic paint protection films on specific car?

I can’t cover every car ever made in the history of the world in a single how-to book. Hope you can understand that. It's a great idea just not possible.

My RUPES book is very detailed however and the only how-to book like it on the market. I recommend anyone that feels strongly about teaching others how to detail a car trying writing their opinion out in a how-to book, I think you'll find it both challenging and rewarding.

Now to your questions in the e-mail...

What process/steps do you recommend for detailing a Mclaren 650s that has paint protection film (either 3M or Xpel) covering the entire front and side panels?

When detailing a McLaren 650S or any car with a paint protection film, here is the general steps to follow...

Step 1: Work on a cool surface in the shade.

Step 2: When washing the car, use quality car wash shampoos and clean, soft car wash mitts. Clear paint protection films can scratch easily just like clearcoat paint finishes so make sure everything that touches the car is clean and the highest quality you can obtain.

NOTE: I would recommend using the careful approach to washing a car when washing any portions of a car with paint protection film. See my article here,

How to wash a coated car - The Gentle Approach for Washing a Car by Mike Phillips

Option - Chemical Decontamination

As an option, during the washing process you can use an iron remover to inspect for and remove any iron contamination.

I have articles on this and if you ask I will be happy to share the link in this thread.

Option - Mechanical Decontamination

As an option, during the washing process you can use one of multiple options for removing bonded contaminants while the car is wet.

I have articles on this and if you ask I will be happy to share the link in this thread.

Step 3: Dry the car including the paint and the paint protection film to avoid water spots. Use the least invasive method to avoid the potential to instill scratches, this could include,

Using an air blower like the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer or the Metro Master Blaster 8hp Revolution to dry the car without ever touching the car.

If you don't have tool for blowing air then check this method out...

The least invasive method to dry your car - Patting instead of wiping off rinse water

The after wash detailing process

After getting the vehicle clean and dry then simply detail the McLaren like you would any car except be careful to work around the paint protection film.

Normal steps include,

Inspect the paint for swirls and scratches - if discovered remove via machine polishing.

Inspect the paint for above surface bonded contaminants - Use the baggie test to inspect and if contaminants are discovered then using detailing clay or another option for mechanically decontaminating the paint.

Seal the paint using either a traditional car wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a ceramic or quartz paint coating.

The above is a thorough process for detailing a McLaren or any vehicle.

If you're wondering how to do correction work to paint protection films, (you didn't specifically ask this so I don't know?), then the first priority goes to the manufacture of the paint protection film.

What do 3M and Xpel recommend for a polishing process for their products?

Here's where Google is your friend...

Expel

From the Expel website,

Care Instructions
    Sep 01, 2015by xpel_admin
    XPEL Protection Film Care

IMPORTANT!
    XPEL currently makes more than one grade of paint protection film. XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film has different care guidelines than our other films. Please be sure to use the care instructions for the type of film you purchased. If you are not sure which film you have, check with your installer or retailer for verification. Using the incorrect care procedures can permanently damage the film.

XPEL ULTIMATE Protection Film: Care Instructions To keep your film looking great, follow a few simple guidelines:

• Wait 48 hours after installation to wash your car.
    • Remove insect or other stains as soon as possible with bug and tar remover.
    • Stubborn stains can be removed with 99% isopropyl alcohol or lacquer thinner. Take care to keep these chemicals off the vehicle’s paint.
    • Seal with XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant at least once every 3 months to preserve high gloss
    • Light scratches in the film will self-heal in 20-30 minutes at room temperature. In colder conditions, or to accelerate the process, pour warm water (120°F) over the affected area.

All Other XPEL Protection Films: Care Instructions

• Wait 48 hours after installation to wash your car

• Use only soft terry cloth or microfiber towels on the film

• Do NOT wipe or scrub the film in direct sunlight or when the film is hot

• Do NOT use abrasive cleaners on the film

• Do NOT use dyed or colored car waxes on the film

Removing Scratches

Most scratches in the film can be removed using a rotary or dual-action buffer.

For best results, it is recommended to use 3M Perfect-It Machine Polish (part number 06064) used with their color coded buffing pad (Part number 05738). If needed, this product can be followed by 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish (part number 06068) used with the blue pad (part number 05733) to restore a deep, swirl-free shine.

Waxing the Film

Contamination from road oils, diesel smoke, pollen, and pollution can cause discoloration and de-glossing of the film. While traditional automotive waxes can provide a small level of protection against contamination, XPEL Flawless Finish Film Sealant is designed specifically to provide the strongest possible barrier against these and other contaminants. Moreover, waxes that contain dyes and other chemicals such as naphtha or kerosene may discolor or de-gloss the film over time and should be avoided.

Ask for XPEL Flawless Finish Film Sealant from your installer or purchase it online

Directions to apply XPEL Film Sealant:

1.Vehicle and Paint Protection Film should be clean and dry.

2.Apply to one section at a time using a foam or cotton applicator.

3.Allow to haze and remove with a microfiber cloth.

4.Remove any excess from edges of the film using a detail brush or damp microfiber cloth.

3M

For 3M Scotchgard brand Paint Protection Films, here's what I found via Google

Owner Care Guide and warranty Information

Care Instructions:

• Caring for your Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film Pro Series is easy.

• After film installation, wait one week before washing or waxing
    your vehicle to help ensure proper adhesion build of the film has
    been achieved.

• Use waxes that do not contain dyes, abrasive polishes and/or rubbing
    compounds. 3M recommends 3M™ Performance Finish when waxing
    your car.

• After waxing your car, you can remove any wax build-up along film
    edges with a lint-free cloth.

• Visit 3MCollision.com: Products for Automotive, Auto Body, Collision Repair, Refinish, Paint and Body Shops, Vehicle Restoration, and more to order 3M’s Car Wash Soap, Waxes,
    Polishes and High Performance Detailing Cloths.

• For general questions about all 3M™ Paint Protection Films, visit our
    website at 3M.com/paintprotectionfilm or call 1-888-663-1394

As far as I can tell, 3M has NO RECOMMENDATIONS for using any type of abrasive product to do repair or correction work to their brand of paint protection films.

Just to add this...

When it comes to any process or step the first thing I teach in all my Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Classes is to evaluate the customer. This protects you and enables you to match your services to your customer.

Here's my article on this topic...

Evaluate the customer first!

The reason I share this is BECAUSE if you or anyone is asked to remove swirls and scratches out of a paint protection film the first thing to do is not remove the defects but look for the ROOT CAUSE of the defects and this goes back to the owner of the car and how they are currently taking care of the car and how they have taken care of the car in the past.

It doesn't make any sense to remove the swirls and scratches out of paint protection film (or the paint), if the owner of the car is going to continue to do the same things that created the problems in the first place.

This is why I practice and teach others to start any detail job by evaluating the customer first and then the car.

Hope the above helps...

IF you're not a member of this forum I recommend you to join. I prefer to type out detailed how-to information where hundreds and thousands of eyeballs can read the information. I prefer to NOT type out detailed how-to information in e-mails, private messages, Facebook messages etc where only one set of eyeballs will ever see the information.

It's a typing time issue and leveraging the best use of typing time.

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline.net discussion forum

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What process or steps do you recommend for detailing a McLaren 650s that has paint protection film?

Mike that's a little light on in detail.. But not bad... What process or steps do you recommend for detailing a McLaren 650s that has paint protection film?

You're a bloody good bloke...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What process or steps do you recommend for detailing a McLaren 650s that has paint protection film?

This lady called me 2 weeks ago,she went to pronto carwash in Tampa.The attendant used a bug sponge on the brandnew film and on her brandnew vw bug.The brand was Suntek film.we boiled a pot of water and through it on the film .scratches were gone.150.00 for one hour of work.she was so ecstatic and happy.