autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Man versus Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    Hehe good writeup. I went to Lowes and got my PC 7424 after having to hand rub in some compound. Im glad that new members wont have to experience my agony. It was a chevy 3500 dually. *groan*
    That's a lot of real-estate!

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    Id love to see some rotary love. I have my FLEX VVB Rotary and am comfortable with it but I dont want to use it on customer's cars until Im 100% satisfied in the work I put out with it. ROtary tips / tricks / vids are welcome
    I broke out the Flex 3430 Light Weight Rotary Buffer yesterday and tried it out and it's one smooth running machine and as the name implies, it's very light.

Lots of new content being worked on for the future...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Also, I've never typed on any forum to let compound, paint cleaner, cleaner/polish or pure polish dry. That would be incorrect technique as there's no benefit from letting these types of products dry. It only makes wipe-off more difficult.

I understand that you do not endorse it, but in this thread on MOL:

1999 Corvette - Remove Swirls and Scratches

You used the PC and M83 over the entire car and then wiped off the residue:

I was just curious.

I didnt mean to say that you have told anyone to let paint cleaners,polishes or compounds dry. But one of these days I would like to build enough experience to able to remove the cleaner/polish residue after working it in on the entire car. tha is what you did on this Corvette, right?

Thanks Mike.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GMC83 View Post
    I understand that you do not endorse it, but in this thread on MOL:

1999 Corvette - Remove Swirls and Scratches

You used the PC and M83 over the entire car and then wiped off the residue:

I was just curious.

I didnt mean to say that you have told anyone to let paint cleaners,polishes or compounds dry. But one of these days I would like to build enough experience to able to remove the cleaner/polish residue after working it in on the entire car. tha is what you did on this Corvette, right?

Thanks Mike.
    Man it's been a long time since I did that buff-out, I'm not sure why I would have done it like that except if I was hustling fast.

M83 can be very hard to wipe-off, so as a normal process I would normally wipe off the residue as I go around the car to make it easier.

I remember finishing the rotary work while the car was still outside because it was getting dark. After the rotary work I pulled the Vette into the garage. I worked that Vette all the way up to the wax step before calling it a night so my guess is that I was focused more on buffing out the entire car and then wiping off residue.

I used to do all my cars like that when I was younger and use terry cloth towels for wiping off all the steps before the last finish polishing step because a large nap terry cloth can chew product off pretty easy and fast. As long as you use quality terry cloth and careful technique you won't hurt the paint, at least nothing that the final polishing step won't take care off and then switch to microfiber.

Most of my "paint only" detail work usually takes around 12 to 14 hours and that's hustling, so that was probably the case there.

For any newbies reading this, it is definitely easier and SAFER to wipe any compound, paint cleaner, or cleaner/polish residue off the paint before it completely dries.

Good memory you have there Mike!

The owner of that Vette was actually my Prosthetists. I think he tired of trying to keep his black Corvette looking good in the desert because it's very windy and very dusty.

That Corvette thread has 41,027 views!

You can see a very rare factory 2-wheel drive Blazer in one of the reflection shots...

Before

After

Post Thanks / Like

Man it's been a long time since I did that buff-out, I'm not sure why I would have done it like that except if I was hustling fast.

M83 can be very hard to wipe-off, so as a normal process I would normally wipe off the residue as I go around the car to make it easier.

I remember finishing the rotary work while the car was still outside because it was getting dark. After the rotary work I pulled the Vette into the garage. I worked that Vette all the way up to the wax step before calling it a night so my guess is that I was focused more on buffing out the entire car and then wiping off residue.

I used to do all my cars like that when I was younger and use terry cloth towels for wiping off all the steps before the last finish polishing step because a large nap terry cloth can chew product off pretty easy and fast. As long as you use quality terry cloth and careful technique you won't hurt the paint, at least nothing that the final polishing step won't take care off and then switch to microfiber.

Most of my "paint only" detail work usually takes around 12 to 14 hours and that's hustling, so that was probably the case there.

For any newbies reading this, it is definitely easier and SAFER to wipe any compound, paint cleaner, or cleaner/polish residue off the paint before it completely dries.

Good memory you have there Mike!

The owner of that Vette was actually my Prosthetists. I think he tired of trying to keep his black Corvette looking good in the desert because it's very windy and very dusty.

That Corvette thread has 41,027 views!

Thanks for clarifying that, Mike. I was just curious to see which method was more effective. But if you had to hustle then I could definitly see that being a way to save some time, and I definitly was not questioning your quality of work as you are a very talented individual.

By the way, my name is Nick.

I forgot to add the comma at the end of my last post, LOL.

Thanks again, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Man the more and more I see write-ups from you! Make me want to take the plunge and add a G110 or PC DA to my collection with the Rotary. Would save me tons of time on certain projects!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Detailing View Post
    Man the more and more I see write-ups from you! Make me want to take the plunge and add a G110 or PC DA to my collection with the Rotary. Would save me tons of time on certain projects!

There's a time and place for both. Like turning your son loose on the Batmobile...

Next up is the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Orbital Polisher.

So far I really like the Flex Rotary. Just need a swirled out black car to put some time behind the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine there is a very funny story behind that picture? As to why you have the batmobile, and why you have a load of child laborers going on there!

Mike Phillips

I would imagine there is a very funny story behind that picture? As to why you have the batmobile, and why you have a load of child laborers going on there!
    That was one of our Extreme Makeovers...

We're looking for cool cars for Extreme Makeovers here at Autogeek starting yesterday...

Post Thanks / Like

That was one of our Extreme Makeovers...

We're looking for cool cars for Extreme Makeovers here at Autogeek starting yesterday...

So what about the Child Labor Force?

Mike Phillips

So what about the Child Labor Force?
    They were all volunteers...

Time to get this thread back on topic...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast