autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Most hacked-up Mustang I've ever detailed

Most hacked-up Mustang I've ever detailed

This is without a doubt, not only the most hacked-up Mustang I've ever detailed but possibly the most hacked-up car I've ever detailed.

This was the second car I detailed in one day. The first was a Mercedes-Benz SUV, so a full day's work. By the time I got to the Mustang I was pretty tired, so I didn't take many pictures. I did take a before video and an after video. These are hosted on my Facebook page so click the links to watch the videos. They are both short and worth watching. Especially the BEFORE video.

Here's the before,

BEFORE Video - 2013 Mustang

Here's the after,

AFTER Video - 2013 Mustang

The car was in such bad shape that I actually called the owners 2-3 times to tell them I simply didn't want to do the job. I couldn't reach them however so I stuck to my word and knocked it out.

Here's the few pictures I did take...

This is the trunk lid, just behind the rear window.

about 70% of the car body panels looked like this. Oxidized to the point of turning white. Stained all over the place and filled with swirls and scratches.

The plastic tail light housings were just as scratched-up as the paint. They were so bad. For the life of me - I couldn't figure out how someone could do this outside of washing them with a Brillo Pad?

v

Here's after BLACKFIRE One Step...

What I did was finger paint some BLACKFIRE One Step all over the plastic then shoved the Lake Country 6.5" orange foam cutting pad against it and buffed every portion of these tail lights I could shove the spinning foam against. Real caveman style.

Here's everything I used...

Final results...

Comments...

When the car was first dropped off, I was a tick busy so I didn't look it over very carefully. From a casual glance, it looked like a Mustang in dire need of washing. AFTER washing - that's when I could really take a closer look and inventory of just how bad of condition the entire car was on the inside and the outside. (it was a pig pen on the inside). I believe this is the only car in my 30+ years of detailing cars that wanted to walk away from.

In order to remove the bulk of the damage, including buffing out all the water spotted/stained glass and the louvers on the sides of the cars, I basically turned the BEAST up to the 6 speed setting and then PUSHED down on the head of the tool harder than I've ever pushed. When I went home that night my wrists hurt. They were sore the next day. This has never happened to me in my entire life.

One thing for sure, BLACKFIRE One Step made the magic happen. This was a one-step detail job and reality is - it needed to be compounded HARD. Instead, I just BF One Stepped it hard and the abrasive technology, plus the foam pad plus the 8mm gear-driven BEAST did what they always do.

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE One Step 32 oz.

6.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid Orange Cutting Pad

The BEAST!

NOTE

FLEX is going to discontinue the original BEAST. They are already in the process. If you want one of the original FLEX XC 3401 VRG polishers aka The BEAST! - Then you better get one while the getting is good.

If do buy one, or if you already own one - I highly recommend you stock up on spare backing plates. The tool will outlive you. But the backing plates are "Wear Items". This means they do wear out. Currently Autogeek and I think all of North America is OUT OF STOCK when it comes to the 5.5" factory BEAST backing plate.

But... there is a shipment coming in the next few weeks. Again - get one or two while the getting is good.

Flex XC 3401 VRG 5.5 inch Backing Plate

2. Thanks ollever thanked for this post
    Likes Kamakaz1961, ollever, sledman8002002 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Most hacked-up Mustang I've ever detailed

More...

I also did my best to breathe some life back into the faded plastic cladding around the wiper arms.

Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer vs Severely neglected plastic trim on a 2013 Mustang

Before

After

4. Likes Kamakaz1961, ollever liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, impressive to see BF One Step get that much correction. That car was trashed and now looks pretty good.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a difference. I did run out of my One Step and a previous article about the Blackfire One Step made me get it. Glad that I did and I have used the Blackfire AIO on a ride and it came out great. Again, beautiful work and excellent save!

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post

Wow, impressive to see BF One Step get that much correction. That car was trashed and now looks pretty good.

I was impressed too - when I was done. I wasn't too impressed until then...

During the buffing step I pressed harder on the BEAST than I've ever pressed before. I think for the buffing - from start to finish - under 2 hours. I turned into a MACHINE.

The closest thing to this Mustang where I literally leaned into the buffer was this recent single stage job I did.

2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I was impressed too - when I was done. I wasn't too impressed until then...

During the buffing step I pressed harder on the BEAST than I've ever pressed before. I think for the buffing - from start to finish - under 2 hours. I turned into a MACHINE.

The closest thing to this Mustang where I literally leaned into the buffer was this recent single stage job I did.

2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step

Must be nice to have a BEAST and be able to press it hard like that and not see pad stall

I was really on the fence during a sale a month or so ago but since I only do my car and it never needs that much work, my G15 has served me well. Buying a $400+ machine to almost never use seems like a waste to me - but I would like to have it around just in case
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

Wow what a difference.

I did run out of my One Step and a previous article about the Blackfire One Step made me get it.

It's a life saver and a paint saver...

10. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

This was the second car I detailed in one day. The first was a Mercedes-Benz SUV, so a full day's work.

By the time I got to the Mustang I was pretty tired, so I didn't take many pictures.

Here's the first car I detailed on that day...

12. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Woah! Hammer time for sure! Excellent work knocking that thing out...and making it proud to wear those badges again! Looks great now!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post

Woah! Hammer time for sure! Excellent work knocking that thing out...and making it proud to wear those badges again! Looks great now!

Thanks Scott.

I did hammer on that thing and hard... while I provided the grunt work, it's like I always say, the most important aspect of paint correction isn't the tool, the pad or the person... it's the stuff that's touching the paint. The abrasive technology.

I've written a lot of articles over the years but one of my favorites it this one. Not just for the information it shares, but because of the picture. The picture tells the whole story.

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

The guy in the pictures is a good friend too, Jeff Bell. He kind of dropped out of sight for the last few years. He's a super good guy, I hope is doing well.