autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Protect Fenders and Bumpers When Working Under The Hood of Your Car

Hi, Jacob Harrod from AutoClean here and the 1st thing that I would recommend is washing your car. This way there is no dirt or contaminants that can be trapped between your chosen protective device and your paint whenever you are working on your car.

Take two sheets of paper. Lay one on the table and put a little bit of dirt on it. This represents dirty paint. Now take another sheet and sandwich the dirt between the two sheets. Now press down and rub the two sheets together. Can you feel that? Can you imagine what this would be doing to your paint? Your hand represents your body leaning up against your beautiful car's body panels with some sort of protective device laid over the panel and then all that dirt is trapped between a protective device designed to PROTECT YOUR PAINT. Your protective device will turn into a CLEAR COAT DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE.

Like my buddy Mike P taught me.. Your clear coat on your car is extremely thin. Thinner than a post it note as a matter of fact.

Next up I would recommend a high quality scratchless belt such as one from the Mac Tool Truck or Snap On truck. I would also reccomended soft clothing and no jewelry. Take your keys out of your pocket, also remove any knives, or any type of equipment that you clip on your person that could scratch the paint.

Choose whatever panel protective device you desire, but I reccomend one with a VERY SOFT backing. You need to KEEP IT CLEAN and FREE OF CONTAMINANTS. I'd reccomend keeping in a sealed container so it won't get dirty in between uses. INSPECT before each use.

Get some CLEAN and INSPECTED high quality microfiber towels, and some high quality automotive masking tape. Use wide tape and tape the towels to your bumper. Tape off any trim, chrome, ETC that you wish to protect.

When you get ready to pull the tape it's LOW AND SLOW..

If you choose a device with magnetic attachments then place a clean microfiber between the magnetic attachment points as the magnets could also mar or scratch the paint.

Lastly simply take your time. Life isn't a race. Like I always tell people. I'm not a quick detailer by any means. This is because I POUR MY PASSION into EVERYTHING I DO.

Thanks for reading this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes PaulMys, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Protect Fenders and Bumpers When Working Under The Hood of Your Car

Common sense advice, but the way you laid it all out on the table for all to understand makes this thread a winner for all that read it going forward, Jake.

AGO is all about this kind of info.

I applaud you, Jake.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Common sense advice, but the way you laid it all out on the table for all to understand makes this thread a winner for all that read it going forward, Jake.

AGO is all about this kind of info.

I applaud you, Jake.
    Every once in a while the stars align and my brain actually works ha ha ha. I personally liked this one as well. Just genuinely trying to help others my friend. How to Protect Fenders and Bumpers When Working Under The Hood of Your Car

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice!

My protective device of choice is an old bed comforter. Folded and doubled up it's 3 or 4 inches of cushioned padding.

8. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Good advice!

My protective device of choice is an old bed comforter. Folded and doubled up it's 3 or 4 inches of cushioned padding.
    Thats a pretty good idea! I wouldn't have thought of that! Nice one!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jacob, I assume that’s your real name? I like how you incorporated your name with your business.

How long does a full exterior and interior take you?
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

11. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Thanks Jacob, I assume that’s your real name? I like how you incorporated your name with your business.

How long does a full exterior and interior take you?
    Yes Jacob Is my real name. Actually I got the idea to BRAND myself and business from this article here that mike wrote.

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name

If you would like to brand your self simply send Mike a request. That's what I did! Now I'm totally professional and you can remember who I actually am!

For good measure read this one too!

Tips for choosing a name for your detailing business

How long it takes me to detail a vehicle depends on a few factors such as the customers budget, the package they choose and the condition of the vehicle. Hardly ever less than a day and a half for me. Really I like to take at least two days on my Emerald Package and inspect on the morning of the third day with fresh eyes and then deliver the vehicle perfect to the customer.

I just did a custom one step polishing package for one of my friends, a really nice couple. It was an Emerald level interior and an Emerald Elite (one step polish) exterior. This took from Friday until Monday.

I have two extreme makeovers coming up with the main portion being on the interior. I estimate, and my estimates are typically spot on that it will take three days with delivery being on Tuesday.

I hope this helps to answer your questions and thank you so much for reading my stuff!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jacob, thanks for taking time to helping others.

So my question is this, how do customers feel when you tell them it’s going be a few days to complete?
    I ask this, when I get calls and I they hire me to finish that same day.

Imagine the stress of trying to do a full interior cleaning and exterior in one day. I usually do it but I feel like I could do better if the car stays with me longer.
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Hello Jacob, thanks for taking time to helping others.

So my question is this, how do customers feel when you tell them it’s going be a few days to complete?
    I ask this, when I get calls and I they hire me to finish that same day.

Imagine the stress of trying to do a full interior cleaning and exterior in one day. I usually do it but I feel like I could do better if the car stays with me longer.
    Really, it's my pleasure, and one of my primary goals in life is to help others. My father in law once told me, "If we can't band together then what are we here for?"

You could say something like, "Well I'd be happy to try to get you taken care of today, but I can achieve a much higher level of quality if you'd be willing to leave your vehicle with me for a couple of days."

One thing for me is I have my packages typed up in extreme detail so the customer can see and understand why it will take me so long. You can check out my packages at Home - AutoClean I also know roughly how long each package will take me so I can say, "Here is your Package, and it will probably take me about 3 days since you have a more heavily soiled interior and require my Emerald Elite level interior package, and also my AutoClean Advanced Carpet and Upholstery Package."

I type them up a quote including all of the services they will receive and e-mail it to them. I'ts a simple copy and paste job with a small personalized message as the first paragraph.

I just tell them up front how long it's going to take and it really seams to help. I do remember recently that I could tell that a potential customer was dissapointed with the amount of time that it was going to take me to detail their vehicle. I told them the amount of time it was going to take and then patiently waited as they made their decision. They scheduled an appointment and when their appointment time came they were a no show. I even offered them a very, very special rate, not because of the time constraint issue but because I knew they didn't have the budget to afford my prices, and they had been going through some recent troubles. I don't know why they didn't show without any notification. One good thing is that I got to spend some extra time with my family that day.

What you don't want is the customer contacting you in the middle of the job, frustrated, asking you why its taking so long. Then you'll REALLY be trying to rush through and also you'll be extremely stressed out.

I try to keep my customers notified along the way and this also helps them to understand. I try to develop a good relationship with them as well so they'll trust me with their cars for longer periods of time.

Sometimes they come by the shop while I'm working to check up on their vehicles. I love it when they do this because I feel that this is where the real magic happens. I've had at least two customers say, "Your an artist." After watching me work I really gain their trust and after this the amount of time doesn't really seem to be an issue. "Take as long as you need." They usually say after coming back a couple of times.

If anything I'd recommend referring customers who aren't willing to give you the time you need to complete the detail to your high level of standards to another detailing service. This way you can focus on the customers that will give you the time and be satisfied with your services, and the customers with time constraints will also be taken care of.

For example there is another mobile detailer in the area, and I really like the guy. I refer these types of customers to him. The most important thing to me is that the customer gets taken care of.

It's been my experience that the customers who usually want the job done REALLY fast also want the job for REALLY cheap, and this simply isn't a good match for me.

I don't want to deter you from making the money you need to take care of yourself or your family either. I'd recommend creating a process for yourself and your customers that works and that you can be HAPPY with, because I believe that if you are happy that really shines through in your work. I hope this helps.

Mike has a great article you should read here:
    The learned skill of turning detailing work down by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

Sometimes they come by the shop while I'm working to check up on their vehicles. I love it when they do this because I feel that this is where the real magic happens. I've had at least two customers say, "Your an artist." After watching me work I really gain their trust and after this the amount of time doesn't really seem to be an issue. "Take as long as you need." They usually say after coming back a couple of times.

I've always liked this too.

Regardless of what the job was, and I've done many over the years, including autobody and paint work, polishing and other detailing tasks, engine and transmission building, race car prep, show car prep, engineering and design work, and more recently home repairs/remodeling and woodworking, I've always liked to share my work with the customer. It's nice to share with them the how's and why's and general philosophy behind your methodologies.

I know a lot of guys that don't like customers around while they work. I understand some of the reasons, and the primary one seems to be that they don't like being interrupted while working. But what I really think is that they are a little insecure and just use that as an excuse. What they really don't want is the customer questioning their abilities or methods.

Have you ever seen those signs in a shop that say: Labor Rate $15.00 per hour - If you watch $25.00 per hour - If you help $50.00 per hour

I'm the opposite. I'm so confident in my abilities, methods, and results that I like to project and share that to/with my customers.

You can tell how old I am by those labor rates LOL.

16. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast