autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Correction Products

I am a beginning hobbiest at best in the detailing world. I have some questions on product selections for basic paint correction. The amount of products available is overwhelming to say the least. I am looking for some suggestions but first, this is what I did.

2011 Honda Pilot 2 step paint correction and ceramic coating.
    The kids bought this used, it has 175,000 miles on it. Dark blue metallic paint. Mostly garaged, I know the owner. Southern Wisconsin location so some ice and salt exposure .
    The paint was faded and poorly maintained, if ever.

I foamed the car, rinsed, washed with two bucket method, rinsed, washed again with ONR two bucket , applied Iron X, rinsed, clayed the paint and washed again with ONR two bucket.
    Noticed lots of paint chips all the way to primer coat

Started the paint correction:
    Griots Garage 6" & 3" DA buffers, used the large buffer on open areas and small buffer in tight areas. Used MF clothes to remove residue after each 2x2 panel application
    1st Step Meguiars M105 on Orange foam pad, in some areas the scratches required a couple applications of product.
    2nd step Meguiars M205 on Black foam pad

Did an alcohol IPA wipe down to remove oils from polishing process
    Applied CarPro UK 3.0 Ceramic coating per the instructions.

All work performed in my garage. Temps in the high 60's to 70's.

Results:
    Finished the ceramic coating last night and we are out of town for a few days but first impressions were awesome considering the starting condition of the paint. Did not get all of the deep scratches out of the clearcoat and some were all the way to the primer. Still lots of stone chips but much less harsh. The depth and luster of the paint now is stunning.

The UK 3.0 was easy peasy to install. As others have noted, the prep work is key.
    Looking for recommendations on the paint correction products. I did not like the M105, way too dusty and very short working time.
    Liked the M205

I will post photos later. Getting on a plane now.

Thanks in advance.
    Gary

2. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Correction Products

Welcome to AGO. Sounds like you were successful in your coating adventure.

If you would like to stick with Meguiar's products their new M110 is a much better compound than M105 in performance and overall user experience.

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz.Paint Correction Products-nano-1r-jpg
    I am not committed to Meguiars products.
    I would be interested in knowing what other combinations of products are being used for 2 stage paint correction.

Photo of Pilot included. I can't seem to find the before photo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luscombe View Post
    Thanks Guz.Paint Correction Products-nano-1r-jpg
    I would be interested in knowing what other combinations of products are being used for 2 stage paint correction.
    CarPro ClearCut then CarPro Essence is my go-to two-step combo.

On a Honda with a forced rotation unit it would be super easy. I'd probably use Rupes UHS product on it with Rupes Yellow pads as Honda clear is soft. I don't think I've had to two-step a Honda Yet.

Your Pilot looks good by the way.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    CarPro ClearCut then CarPro Essence is my go-to two-step combo.

On a Honda with a forced rotation unit it would be super easy. I'd probably use Rupes UHS product on it with Rupes Yellow pads as Honda clear is soft. I don't think I've had to two-step a Honda Yet.

Your Pilot looks good by the way.
    Thanks,
    Are my Griots DA buffers also called a forced rotation unit?
    Appreciate the reference to the CarPro materials.
    I may also give the M110 a try if it doesn't dust as bad as M105 and will work longer.
    I do not have enough experience to know which paints are soft and which are hard.
    Still a learning grasshopper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luscombe View Post
    Thanks,
    Are my Griots DA buffers also called a forced rotation unit?
    Appreciate the reference to the CarPro materials.
    I may also give the M110 a try if it doesn't dust as bad as M105 and will work longer.
    I do not have enough experience to know which paints are soft and which are hard.
    Still a learning grasshopper
    Your polishers are dual action and not forced rotation. They are more then capable of getting the job done.

M110 is a huge improvement over M105 in dusting and cycle time. M110 has almost no dust. The new M210 is good as well and works well following M110.

If you don’t like dust then stay away from clear cut. It dusts quite a bit although the finish and cut are good.

Sonax Cut Max is another good one. For me it has no dust and a good cycle time. Pair it with their EX 04-06 for a good 1-2 combo.

After the initial compounding you should not need to use it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with The Guz on those 2 Sonax products. Phenomenal for me in my experience. I'll also toss in Sonax Perfect Finish and am using it to reduce 2 steps down to 1! Perfect Finish has more substantial cut than 04-06 AND finishes down even better than Menz 400.

If that Honda was in my driveway I would probably test spot some Sonax 04-06 with my white LC pad. If more cut needed I would try an orange pad with that same product.

If I still needed more cut, Sonax Perfect Finish on a white pad again.

Yup, Sonax PF is pricey but it is worth every penny for me.

Post Thanks / Like

i used to use the twins. now i use M100 followed by 205. m100 is designed to be used with a rotary and wool pad but it works great with my DA and orange lake country pads. with both my rotary or DA, its much quicker and less dusting than m105.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for posting. I will switch from the M105 and try the others. The Honda is done. My goal was to get the paint corrected to 75% and then a Ceramic coat on it. This is a new-used car for my daughter and son-in-law. It will live in central Michigan and be outside as no garage. I wanted to learn on the vehicle and also get a ceramic coating on it.

I do have (3) more cars to do and will post here as I get them done. Next one up will be a 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider I restored. It was painted in 2013 and does not have any scratches. I am looking to get a ceramic coating on it. Then on to my Wife's car. A 2015 Lexus RX350, with lots of scratches. I need to correct the pint and also put a ceramic coating on it. I will try the M100/205 combo as there are some fairly deep scratches. Anything I need to watch out for on the Lexus paint/clear coat?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I left the Pilot in the garage while we were out of town for the week. Took it out and drove it to work yesterday. It started to rain on the way home.
    The ceramic coating water shedding characteristics are crazy! In a light rain while car is motionless, get super tiny water beads. While driving at highway speeds, the water moves around on the hood like it is mercury. It builds up into bunches like jello, sticks to itself more than the paint and when you slow down, the bunched up water literally spill off the front of the hood. When it stops raining the surface dries clear from the wind.

The effort was well worth the results, just Awesome.
    Now I am pumped and looking forward to getting this on the other vehicles.

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast