autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield water repellent

2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    There are video’s out from 2012. I don’t think it’s new. Looks to work as well as Griots Ceramic glass cleaner. Cheaper too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I applied Gyeon Q2 Quick View on my Ranger about 3 months ago and has held up very well, still repelling water quite strongly.

Q2 Quick View is very easy to apply and remove.

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found good results with Rain-X, but with a caveat: You need to use two of their products and it's a bit labor intensive.

First, you need to do a basic clean of the window glass to get the bulk of the soil off. Then you're going to use the first of the products, Rain-X xtreme clean. It will strip the glass completely of any water spots, grime, oil, etc. I usually use a 4" stiff foam pad chucked into a low speed drill for this step. When you can mist water on the glass and it wets out and doesn't bead, then the glass is actually clean.

Next apply the Rain-X. Be fairly liberal with it, keep the applicator wet but not dripping. Go over the glass twice, in two different directions to work it in. You'll be able to feel and see the difference as the product bonds to the glass. Let it flash off to a haze, then buff with a microfiber. You can mist on a small amount of water to help buff the glass.

By using this process, I've had great durability out of the rain-x, even on the windshield where the wipers run. Every 4-6 months you can do a light 'refresh' of it with a small amount of rain-x on a paper towel, but you shouldn't need to go through the heavy cleaning/polishing step.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you using products on your glass, have you seen any issues when using a glass cleaner after applying the glass sealant/coating?

My issue is my back window. It is sloped on a pretty steep angle and doesn't seem to shed water naturally like the windshield does. I applied some Griots 3 in 1 to see if it would help. A couple weeks later I needed to clean the glass and when using my go-to glass cleaner SprayWay, it made a horrible mess. I ended up with a strange white residue smudged all over the glass. It became VERY hard to remove. Seemed almost like glass cleaner partially dissolved or caused a reaction with the 3 in 1. Never see that before.

The experience has me thinking of simply coating the back window with Gyeon Pure Evo when I do the car when I coat it in a couple weeks, or trying a water repelling glass cleaner. My only hang-up with the glass cleaner is I hate having a product I'd only use on some glass surfaces and not something I'd grab and use everywhere. I've had bad experiences with putting any type of product on windshields.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I still stand by Rust Oleum's product. Rust-Oleum Shield H2O Rain Repellent Spray. Super easy to use, works as well if not better than true ceramics but again, far easier to use. Lasts months. I have the GYEON product and it's meh at best. Local Central Ohio give away to anyone who wants to stop by and get it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am currently looking for something, maybe over Rain X??? I have been using Meguiars Ceramic Wash & Wax and really like it, also have a bottle of Gyeon Bathe+ to foam cannon as well. I have noticed the Rain X could play better with the soap. So looking for something that will blend right togeather... ceramic I suppose??
    I can't seem to find the Rust Oleum mentioned above. Have looked at Mckee's, Blackfire, Tac, Griots, Gyeon, Carpro, Gtechniq, etc, etc. P&S looks interesting, but expensive. Any good product to play along with the ceramic soaps?? The Rain X is cheap and everywhere, just wants to push the ceramic off while the ceramic wants to take over...

Post Thanks / Like

P&S Vue is a great option. User friendly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Hopefully it is not as bad as their coating. They didn’t do a good job with it.

@Stoner Car Care Invisible Glass Coating Reapplication & Water Behavior
    @Stoner Car Care Invisible Glass Coating Reapplication & Water Behavior - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    I can't seem to find the Rust Oleum mentioned above.
    on back order a lot of places. I have a bottle of the older and now newer version. Can't really complain about either. Old formulation worked awesome so you can't go wrong. It's up on eBay from a seller I've purchased from before.

Rust-Oleum Shield H2O Rain Repellant Spray 11 oz. | eBay
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

12. Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    For those of you using products on your glass, have you seen any issues when using a glass cleaner after applying the glass sealant/coating?

My issue is my back window. It is sloped on a pretty steep angle and doesn't seem to shed water naturally like the windshield does. I applied some Griots 3 in 1 to see if it would help. A couple weeks later I needed to clean the glass and when using my go-to glass cleaner SprayWay, it made a horrible mess. I ended up with a strange white residue smudged all over the glass. It became VERY hard to remove. Seemed almost like glass cleaner partially dissolved or caused a reaction with the 3 in 1. Never see that before.

The experience has me thinking of simply coating the back window with Gyeon Pure Evo when I do the car when I coat it in a couple weeks, or trying a water repelling glass cleaner. My only hang-up with the glass cleaner is I hate having a product I'd only use on some glass surfaces and not something I'd grab and use everywhere. I've had bad experiences with putting any type of product on windshields.
    Yeah a lot of coatings are glass safe except windshield. I will probably do same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Desertnate liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast