autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Running water into an attached garage?

I'm planning on placing a stationary pressure washer in the corner of my garage. Nothing crazy like Obsessed Garage, but something mid-range to make washing cars more convenient. Currently, my water supply will come from the outside, which is not a big deal in the warmer months. I want to run a permanent water supply to the unit inside the garage. I do have a basement, and this is an attached (unheated but insulated) garage. It seems fairly simple, but since I'm no plumber, I'm sure it's more complicated than it seems.

Anyone done this or have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Running water into an attached garage?

You could you that PVC flexible piping so you don't have to worry about too many soldered connections. Not sure if there is an insulated version of it.

Post Thanks / Like

i did it quite some time ago in the attached garage of the house i was living in but i have some plumbing experience. its simple- find exisiting line to tap into( i ended up tapping into main feed line), determine how new line will be routed,where the spigot will be located, drill some holes, cut and fit all pipe and fittings, solder joints( same would be with pvc but glueing joints). simple but not the easiest.
    you might want to do some reading up on plumbing, theres some good sites with good info- just dont read on them dam anna white type sites. look for plumber dedicated sites.

since its unheated i suggest a frost free spigot.
    it reads like washing inside the garage is something new to you. is your floor/slab set up for drainage?

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
    i did it quite some time ago in the attached garage of the house i was living in but i have some plumbing experience. its simple- find exisiting line to tap into( i ended up tapping into main feed line), determine how new line will be routed,where the spigot will be located, drill some holes, cut and fit all pipe and fittings, solder joints( same would be with pvc but glueing joints). simple but not the easiest.
    you might want to do some reading up on plumbing, theres some good sites with good info- just dont read on them dam anna white type sites. look for plumber dedicated sites.

since its unheated i suggest a frost free spigot.
    it reads like washing inside the garage is something new to you. is your floor/slab set up for drainage?

No....I wish it was.....never gave it any thought when we built the house 12 years ago. The real reason is just to provide a water supply to my stationary pressure washer setup without having to go outside for it. As far as washing inside, I'd probably go with one of those water collection mats if I decided to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Goes the basement under the Garage?

Otherwise if you need a part of the plumbing outside. You need to look up how deep the plumbing needs to be isolated in your environment. Then to be safe install a freeze safe spigot/outlet. Also to do the little extra is to place a shutoff valve if something happens on the outside water piping before the isolated part begins. I need to be switching off the whole water supply to change the freeze safe spigot that has gone bad. But thinking of cutting the plumbing a little farther away from the spigot and mount a valve there for the future if something happens. Also try to cut in on the plumbing as close as you can be from where you have the inlett of the plumbing. So you have as good pressure as possible out to the garage. You may want to split it in the garage so you have one for the PW and the other one for filling buckets and useing a hose too. It's nice to have the best flow possible to a hose setup. The PW is not needed much to keep the flow as high as it's needs.

Don't know if if the solder joints that is mentioned is those that you you use a special tool to be getting them pressed together. This is with copper pipes this is done with. Pretty straight forward to use if you are well knowned with DIY things.

I know this can be over the board but have you thought about haveing warm water too. This is often something that you will be regreting to not have done. You can plumbing it out. But also place a separate water heater in the garage. For filling buckets when it's colder. And also the cleaning ability is way more effective with a little warmer water through the PW. Also to deicing during the winter months and let it dry in the garage is much worth. There are other ways too that's begins to be affordable. Solar panels mounted on the roof to a water heater unit that takes care of this. It's an investment but if you plan on keeping the house for a long time it can be worth it to even have solar panels to be dedicated to warm water and a warm water pump. Don't know if the translation gets right here but hope you understand what I meen LOL. These pumps and how well the solar panels works is developed very much of the last years. Just a thought that I have considered in the future. You save on the electricity with such of a setup. I see more and more setups like this here in Sweden.

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM.....The basement does not go under the garage....but the garage and laundry room share a common wall. My plan is to split off of the water line(s) for the washer and go directly into the garage. I'm pretty sure I won't have to go outside.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as you drain the line in the winter months. The last thing you want is a pipe burst. I don't see your location on your profile, but I'm assuming you get cold because you mentioned "warmer months". Here in AZ that wouldn't be a problem, and Coach Steve actually tapped the cold water line going in to his hot-water heater to feed his PurTeck Industrial Water System (much like mine).

Check with your City/Local codes too, make sure what you plan doing passes codes.

Post Thanks / Like

My laundry room shares a wall with the garage.

I used a 2 1/8" holesaw and put a piece of PVC through the wall. On each end I glued a 1-1/4 in. PVC Sch. 40 Female S x FPT Adapter with a cap.
    I am pretty sure the adapter outside diameter is close to 2 1/8, then just caulked it in. I would have to break out the caliper to make sure.

I run a hose through it to the sink when I use the pressure water. A small raise on the garage door and most everything drains.
    The remnants get squeegeed out.
    Not like I couldn't tap the lines but what for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    My laundry room shares a wall with the garage.

I used a 2 1/8" holesaw and put a piece of PVC through the wall. On each end I glued a 1-1/4 in. PVC Sch. 40 Female S x FPT Adapter with a cap.
    I am pretty sure the adapter outside diameter is close to 2 1/8, then just caulked it in. I would have to break out the caliper to make sure.

I run a hose through it to the sink when I use the pressure water. A small raise on the garage door and most everything drains.
    The remnants get squeegeed out.

Not like I couldn't tap the lines but what for.
    funny that you say that....I was just looking at a similar setup....I can get right to the cold water line for the washer.....maybe split that into two lines and just run a length of hose out

Post Thanks / Like

My setup sounds like yours but garage is insulated. My temp in garage has gone under 35 a few times, I just hooked up shut off valves in basement and turn water in garage off when we get a very cold spell

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast