autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinyl graphics and polishing

Quote Originally Posted by osiapstndp View Post
    The pads get "smushed" when you apply pressure to them so you have to be careful to watch how much surface area you're covering.

I use these on my Flex PE8
    Good point on those. And to further add, once "smushed" the diameter increases a bit.

Good little pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Good point on those. And to further add, once "smushed" the diameter increases a bit.

Good little pads
    Are these pads universal with all polishers assuming you get the backing plate? I would like to get some for my PC, mainly for the crazy curves I've got in places. Also thinking it would work good on my hood where it says "Hemi".

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFire72 View Post
    Are these pads universal with all polishers assuming you get the backing plate? I would like to get some for my PC, mainly for the crazy curves I've got in places. Also thinking it would work good on my hood where it says "Hemi".

The pads are one inch in diameter and won't fit a Porter Cable. You can use them with a rotary and a one-inch backing plate or I suppose the Rupes iBrid with its smallest backing plate, but I don't have an iBrid to test that thought.

I tackle very small areas like what you describe by hand with the foam pads. Sometimes I'll use a microfiber towel wrapped around my finger to cut away defects and then I'll use one of the one-inch Flex pads to remove the scratch pattern installed by the microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like

The pads are one inch in diameter and won't fit a Porter Cable. You can use them with a rotary and a one-inch backing plate or I suppose the Rupes iBrid with its smallest backing plate, but I don't have an iBrid to test that thought.

I tackle very small areas like what you describe by hand with the foam pads. Sometimes I'll use a microfiber towel wrapped around my finger to cut away defects and then I'll use one of the one-inch Flex pads to remove the scratch pattern installed by the microfiber towel.
    Ok, thanks for the info!

I do the same with with a microfiber to get in the areas I can't get into with the polisher. So for now, I'll continue using what I have till I upgrade the Porter.

Post Thanks / Like

unless you have bad scratches, don't forget you can always hand apply any compound, polish or sealant. Maybe for the few spots that need a 1" you can just hand apply and save money on buying another machine and backing plate. Will be interested to hear how the mckee's works for you. I still might try one of those spray on wipe off or spray on rinse off products.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    unless you have bad scratches, don't forget you can always hand apply any compound, polish or sealant. Maybe for the few spots that need a 1" you can just hand apply and save money on buying another machine and backing plate. Will be interested to hear how the mckee's works for you. I still might try one of those spray on wipe off or spray on rinse off products.
    Ya, that's actually how I do it. I have 2 vehicles that have a low and curvy front end spoiler, areas around the hoods, trunks, and then of course my vinyl on one to work around. It's no big deal really doing these areas by hand. I think my biggest problem is, I tend to detail them back to back, so I'm pretty cashed out near the end LOL!

I need to order the McKee's stuff yet. I'll update here and let you know how it works out when I get it and try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFire72 View Post
    Ya, that's actually how I do it. I have 2 vehicles that have a low and curvy front end spoiler, areas around the hoods, trunks, and then of course my vinyl on one to work around. It's no big deal really doing these areas by hand. I think my biggest problem is, I tend to detail them back to back, so I'm pretty cashed out near the end LOL!

I need to order the McKee's stuff yet. I'll update here and let you know how it works out when I get it and try it out.

I hear that. I did my g8 and my silverado in one weekend. Never again haha.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

I've worked on tons of Mopars with matte decals. What works for me is taping around the edges of the vinyl and then using a one-inch cutting pad to remove defects by hand. You can polish in the same way.

It's important that compound or polish does not make contact with the vinyl. Apply two layers of tape if you're worried about residue making its way through the tape. If this is your personal vehicle the areas that spell "Hemi" and "Daytona" aren't hazy and scratched to pieces then you may be able to skip using abrasives on them for now.

I put the pads on this backing plate.
    FLEX 1 Inch Rotary Backing Plate

And I use these pads.
    1 Inch FLEX PE8 Heavy Orange Rotary Foam Pad
    1 Inch FLEX PE8 Medium Green Rotary Foam Pad
    1 Inch FLEX PE8 Soft Black Rotary Foam Pad

The pads get "smushed" when you apply pressure to them so you have to be careful to watch how much surface area you're covering.

I use these on my Flex PE8 already so I figured I could use the pads by hand on super tight areas and turns out it works well.

The sealant on the matte decals may not be a good idea if you want them to stay how they looked from the factory. You can protect them with all sorts of stuff, including various ceramic coatings. On my Scat Pack and customers' Mopars I've had excellent results with Mckee's Matte Cleaner and Protectant and a ton of other spray-on protection products. I've also used CQuartz, Crystal Serum Light and Mckee's paint coating on matte vinyl and it always turns out great.
    I used crystal serum light and EXO on my vinyl decals and they turned it fine, but mine were not matt but high gloss. Polished everything by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12