autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic coating

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating

So lately I been seen on my social media that some detailers are applying ceramic coating on nice expensive toys! I been seen the products in which the bottles/products are in a small bottle (seems like cologne sample size) in which now I am curious on learning to apply that product on my cars. I heard that the prep is the hardest part of the process and as well once you apply it its a done deal and it is pretty difficult on removing it! Can someone share their experience on methods use to apply this coating, how to see the way the product is been applied (light color cars), and as well what is their opinion on this. One of the challenges I have is that I do not have shade on my place that I live (no garage since dad is a hoarder). Please en-light me with the knowledge for this. I do have a daily driver 1997 Nissan Pathfinder that I want to practice on before moving on to my siblings Mustang. Also which product would you recommend.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating

There is a lot of information here for most of the coatings sold by AG.

I'd start by plowing through some of the threads where members discuss their favorite ceramic coatings. There will also be a great deal of info regarding prepping the surface for the coating and the potential issues applying them outdoors.

From there you should begin to get a feel for which one you might want to try based on experiences and your budget. At that point, I think all of the major makers of ceramic coatings have YouTube videos of their application process. I've watched a few by CarPro and Optimum that are pretty good showing application and dealing with things like high spots.

Applying a coating outdoors in the sun might be risky due to the coating drying really fast and the threat of dust getting blown into the drying coating while it's being applied. I think a few here have been successful, but I don't know if I'd even try.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I’d say go for it but here’s the deal

You NEED at least one inspection light. Scangrip Sunmatch is a good place to start. Also you need at least one polisher, but you may also want a mini polisher for the small spots. You cannot miss any defects because once they are sealed, they are sealed until you remove the coating.

It’s an expensive process, also you have to throw out the towels you use to remove the coating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    -Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Wetch View Post
    It’s an expensive process, also you have to throw out the towels you use to remove the coating.
    Not always true..depends on which coating you are applying.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is you want the paint as perfect as possible since this product will lock in imperfection bellow a glass layer. If can be removed by polishing, so it's not an issue of if it can be removed or not, it's more an issue that it requires some effort to remove.

It is difficult to apply a coating in the sun. It can be done if the panels of the car are not hot and you work in very small sections, but you definatelly want to do it in the shade or even better in a garage if you can. Some products are more forgiving than others. I have used McKee's 37 outside on many details and if came out ok. But it really is a challenge, so if you decide to apply it, see if you can't do it in a friend's or family members's garage instead of outside your house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    So lately I been seen on my social media that some detailers are applying ceramic coating on nice expensive toys! I been seen the products in which the bottles/products are in a small bottle (seems like cologne sample size) in which now I am curious on learning to apply that product on my cars. I heard that the prep is the hardest part of the process and as well once you apply it its a done deal and it is pretty difficult on removing it!
    Prep process being difficult is subjective. It's no different than any other prep/polish job. Key to get great results for any LSP including waxes, sealants and yes coatings too, is a well done correction. If that's difficult then yes; however, for the most part it's not. They key with coatings that is less of an issue with todays products vs the earlier ones is applying them evenly so that there's no high-spots. Cquartz, 22PLe and McKee's 37 are all pretty easy and forgiving to apply. I'm sure many others are too but these are the ones I use most.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Not always true..depends on which coating you are applying.
    ^^ this. WIth the three coatings I mentioned above, so long as you toss the towels in a bucket of towel cleaner and water as you move to a new one, you'll be fine. The coating material doesn't "harden" that quickly and dissolves in the solution of good towel cleaner. I can say this for certain with 3D towel clean and Snappy Clean powder as I have used both.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Prep process being difficult is subjective. It's no different than any other prep/polish job. Key to get great results for any LSP including waxes, sealants and yes coatings too, is a well done correction. If that's difficult then yes; however, for the most part it's not.
    Great point. The only thing that changed in my prep process was the addition of a panel wipe step after polishing.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

So if I use Gyeon mohs, toss the towels in soapy water, I can clean them and use them for coating removal again?

-Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Ceramic coating

I will echo everyone else here, prep is key!

A good wash, mechanical and chemical decon is VERY important. You don't always need both of these, but they certainly don't hurt done together, that's for sure. Next is making that paint as flawless as possible, many polishes to chose from here. I suggest another wash along with some type of paint prep product as well, this way the surface is as clean as possible. There's even coating prep products as well, remember, your coating the surface, so you want that surface as flawless as you can get it.

For the coatings, well, look for videos here and YouTube and follow the directions. For noobs Optimum Gloss Coat is a good place to start
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast