autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeking for help- Paint Touch Up

Hello,
    Guys, I'm seeking for some informational help. After reading lots of touch up articles i still have a problem.
    I have a few deep scratches maybe 0.05 mm in depth ( pretty deep). I have got my Paint mixed, Polar silver Mercedes.
    After filling up the scratch with few layers of paint i get this effect.

Than i went with 2000 grit wet sanding, to level it all down. But After sanding the touch up spots go really darker than rest of the paint. And some how i have a feeling that all of my touch up paint is lifting.
    Should i maybe try to fill the scratches with bondo, and then apply a really thin layer of touch up?
    I have noticed that the primer under is White-ish color. The bondo i have is also white-ish color.
    Any suggestions are more than welcome, thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seeking for help- Paint Touch Up

Maybe the paint wasn't cured well enough. It may take longer if it is a thick layer.

How long was it before you sanded?

I did a couple spots on mine. I waited 3-4 weeks and I could still smell the solvent when I was wet sanding it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow 3-4 weeks! I have only waited 6 hrs .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B180 View Post
    Hello,
    Guys, I'm seeking for some informational help. After reading lots of touch up articles i still have a problem.
    I have a few deep scratches maybe 0.05 mm in depth ( pretty deep). I have got my Paint mixed, Polar silver Mercedes.
    After filling up the scratch with few layers of paint i get this effect.

Than i went with 2000 grit wet sanding, to level it all down. But After sanding the touch up spots go really darker than rest of the paint. And some how i have a feeling that all of my touch up paint is lifting.
    Should i maybe try to fill the scratches with bondo, and then apply a really thin layer of touch up?
    I have noticed that the primer under is White-ish color. The bondo i have is also white-ish color.
    Any suggestions are more than welcome, thanks in advance!
    when it comes to touch ups like that I personally would just paint it if you can swing the cost.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    when it comes to touch ups like that I personally would just paint it if you can swing the cost.
    Don't get me wrong. I totally would agree. But this is on rear quarter panel. And all the paint is original, i temporarily want just to hide it so you can't notice it from couple of feet.
    Not all the scratches are so deep. Only 1-2, an they are so high up that they stick like a sore thumb

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Update: I filled the scratches with Bondo, lightly. After that I applied touch up. Will leave it to dry for 7 days.
    - I also think that my paint didn't cure.
    Will give it time now. Maybe this time i wont sand it. I will just polish it with heavy cutting compound. If i don't forget i will post the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B180 View Post
    Update: I filled the scratches with Bondo, lightly. After that I applied touch up. Will leave it to dry for 7 days.
    - I also think that my paint didn't cure.
    Will give it time now. Maybe this time i wont sand it. I will just polish it with heavy cutting compound. If i don't forget i will post the results.
    Thin, thin, thin. Patience is the key.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I had two deep scratches right down to the metal on my rear hatch (gti). Took me a about a year of filling painting and wetsanding to finally get it to look good. I really didn't want any of my pieces re sprayed either. It takes patience and time.

Post Thanks / Like

Bondo on a scratch? Hmmmm, not the best call.

Metallics will never lay down with a brush the same way they did when they were atomized with a spray gun. They will always sit darker, and you will never get a perfect blend. If they were deep scratches, you need to make sure that you got all of the wax out of the scratch, otherwise nothing will ever stick in it.

Touch fill, lightly color sand, polish. That's all you can do short of painting it. Bondo or filler putty will fill the scratch to the surface of the clear coat but then you will have to lay color down over the top of the filler, which will NEVER work. At this point, you have no fix but to have the whole panel flat sanded, color sprayed and cleared. Or, you live with your odd scratch fill results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update, It looks OK far from perfect. To make ih really hard to see would need to apply more paint. And try to sand it. I'm pretty OK, with current state it's a 1 meter.
    In the end I will get it paint it so it becomes near to perfect.