autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best coating for hard black plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I do have the C4 Permanent Trim Coating and it might be the answer.

I will consider using a Q-Tip and painstakingly apply it one drop at a time (it does go a long way on my other trim I have done on the car).

I find it has lasted 8 months on my trim around the front and rear window mouldings.
    Should work really well and look good. I need to check the bottle of C4 I have to see if the plunger can be removed to pour it into an air brush.

I wonder if a suede applicator would work if cut into small pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I would spray Gloss Coat but that would use alot of product(like 1 syringe at 90.00).
    Hehe...Sir, title of the thread said best, not most cost effective.

C4 sounds like it would be good.

Eldo, that's the one I was thinking of.

Overspray a problem with that product?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Eldo, that's the one I was thinking of.

Overspray a problem with that product?
    Thanks to it having an adjustable sprayer, overspray is never a problem.Best coating for hard black plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Some of those products you listed make bold claims to last alot longer... But IME I've seen plastic treated with them only a couple months out and I can't even tell there's anything on there...

This may have to be re applied more often, but IMO nothing provides the pop quite like it. Plus it's super easy to use on honeycomb grills. Only takes a few seconds to spray.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pla...l-coating.html

I'm a fan of this but it just doesn't last. Used it a few times on the same type of grilles as crispy and within a few days it's already diminished. After the first wash it's gone. Looks great as soon as it's applied.

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant works better and would be a good option for these grilles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I'm a fan of this but it just doesn't last. Used it a few times on the same type of grilles as crispy and within a few days it's already diminished. After the first wash it's gone. Looks great as soon as it's applied.

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant works better and would be a good option for these grilles.
    I see 2 weeks on average. But it will not survive through rain. [not really an issue since it rarely rains in Southern California]

2-3 weeks is fine by me and true to who/what the product is made for.. Meguiars Detailers Line products were made with a maintenance detailers schedule in mind, if you think about it, every product in that line is made to last a good solid couple weeks and then it's time for a quik maintenance detail to renew everything fresh once again.

Post Thanks / Like

It's rained quite a bit this year.

I would rather have something that lasts longer that requires less maintenance so I could focus on other things.

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather have something that lasts longer that requires less maintenance so I could focus on other things.
    Would the new Megs Ultimate Fast Finish be worth a shot on a black grille?

Post Thanks / Like

Best coating for hard black plastic

It was 80 degrees today. It's not gonna rain anymore this year, my friend. Lol.

Long lasting stuff is cool don't get me wrong, but from my experience most of those products have drawbacks. i.e. Meguiars Ultimate Black Trim Restorer lasts a really long time, but doesn't look so great + it's nearly impossible to remove once it's on there [I haven't tried the Mothers version but it looks similar]
    And as far as the fancy coatings such as D-Lux... I guess we can take their word for it, but I sure can't notice whether it's on there or not a few months after it's been applied. I'm fan of being able to see the difference a product makes on the surface. [which is why I'm not really big on Megs Quik Interior Detailer or absolutely need a leather conditioner to leave no sheen behind]

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant: I've never tried it, from what people say it's solid, but it would be tedious trying to apply to a honeycomb grill. Carpro Perl might be easier. But those products are sure to gradually fade away just like anything else and need to be reapplied.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Would the new Megs Ultimate Fast Finish be worth a shot on a black grille?
    Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It was 80 degrees today. It's not gonna rain anymore this year, my friend. Lol.

Long lasting stuff is cool don't get me wrong, but from my experience most of those products have drawbacks. i.e. Meguiars Ultimate Black Trim Restorer lasts a really long time, but doesn't look so great + it's nearly impossible to remove once it's on there [I haven't tried the Mothers version but it looks similar]
    And as far as the fancy coatings such as D-Lux... I guess we can take their word for it, but I sure can't notice whether it's on there or not a few months after it's been applied. I'm fan of being able to see the difference a product makes on the surface. [which is why I'm not really big on Megs Quik Interior Detailer or absolutely need a leather conditioner to leave no sheen behind]

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant: I've never tried it, from what people say it's solid, but it would be tedious trying to apply to a honeycomb grill. Carpro Perl might be easier. But those products are sure to gradually fade away just like anything else and need to be reapplied.

I did not say it is not going to rain anymore. You and I both know it rained more than usual this year.

Have you actually used a trim coating? Or was this just a generalized statement? And no TW trim coating does not count. That's more in line with WETS as a trim sealant. Meguiar's ultimate black trim restorer falls in this category as well. Sure it does last long but the overspray is a pain to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not say it is not going to rain anymore.
    I know you didn't, I said it's not going to rain anymore this year. Lol. At least not till October.☔️lol.

D-Lux. My friend "AGOatemywallet" had the trim on his vehicles coated with D-Lux and I would point out his trim and ask him why it looks like nothings even on there everytime I'd see him at TNOG as recently as last year.

Funny story about how I found out he had D-Lux on his vehicle is when he was doing some wet sanding on it in the Meguiars garage I took it upon myself to help the rubber & trim on his SUV... And as soon as he saw me spraying the D4510 on his front plastic grill he nearly freaked and said "dude what are you doing I've got D-Lux on there"! I felt bad because I knew he wasn't playing and all I could think was that D-Lux is probably real expensive. Lol.

After a few moments he calmed down. Lol. Then I started questioning him about "this is D-Lux"? Totally unimpressed, every peice of trim on the vehicle looked like there was nothing on it + sort of beginning to fade a bit. But he was a firm believer in his D-Lux.

As far as TW Endura Trim Coating, if we were talking textured trim like the trim on the Kia? I'd bet my bottom dollar it would eat the D-Lux alive in a real life longevity test. Without hesitation, not even close. Lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast