autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

California Duster myths

I have been reading a lot of information about this dust remover that personally doesn't ring true. My DD is polished and protected (sealant and wax on top). I use the California Duster almost every day (due to construction dust depoisted every day). I have experienced ZERO problems.

Why would the duster impart any damage?

It is less aggressive than any wash mitt and soap.

It is less aggressive than clay.

It is less agressive than Microfiber towel and Detailer.

Heck it can clean my computer screen and no scratches.

Sorry I don't get people's comment "never use on paint".

I would love to hear from those that have actually used it as apposed to those who speculated.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: California Duster myths

I think the argument is that with the cleaning methods you mentioned, there is lubrication involved. That lube lifts the dirt up off the paint, therefore when wiping, the dirt doesn't drag on the paint. With the duster, there is no lube, so the duster is actually "dragging" the dirt accross the paint. I use a duster sometimes. Haven't noticed any damage to my dd.

Post Thanks / Like

My reason against it is simple, the dirtier it gets the better it works!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I have been reading a lot of information about this dust remover that personally doesn't ring true. My DD is polished and protected (sealant and wax on top). I use the California Duster almost every day (due to construction dust depoisted every day). I have experienced ZERO problems.

Why would the duster impart any damage?

It is less aggressive than any wash mitt and soap.

It is less aggressive than clay.

It is less agressive than Microfiber towel and Detailer.

Heck it can clean my computer screen and no scratches.

Sorry I don't get people's comment "never use on paint".

I would love to hear from those that have actually used it as apposed to those who speculated.
    I've had countless numbers of cars come in with damage from the California Duster (or similar) over the years. All of the owners thought they were harmless too until I showed them the damage it was doing (they couldn't see it/didn't know what swirls were...). Same goes for the water blade. That being said, if you like it a feel it's not doing any damage then there is no reason to stop using it.

I tried it a long time ago and it's not for me. Think about it...you're dragging dirt across your paint with nothing to lucubrate/protect the surface. I say why risk doing that when it's so easy to just ONR a dusty car.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I always say, whatever makes you happy for you and your car then rock on! We all have our own thing! I use a duster on my windows sometimes!
    Back to the full-time grind.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cali duster is good the day of a wash, maybe the next.. just to wipe the dust that settles on a very clean car. After that forget it, it's too dangerous especially after a drive imo.

Last time I bought/used one was around 2009ish and after a couple of uses (on a clean car) it became streaky

Post Thanks / Like

I have a GG MF duster that I use but I've been swayed by the nah sayers here for sure, so its only used after the car is clean and its a little dusty, like at a cars and coffee or down in the garage after a night of sitting.

Thoughts?
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I have a GG MF duster that I use but I've been swayed by the nah sayers here for sure, so its only used after the car is clean and its a little dusty, like at a cars and coffee or down in the garage after a night of sitting.

Thoughts?
    I'm with Rasky on this one:
    "I tried it a long time ago and it's not for me. Think about it...you're dragging dirt across your paint with nothing to lucubrate/protect the surface. I say why risk doing that when it's so easy to just ONR a dusty car."

I have two of them when I owned a silver car, but haven't used it on my black Altima.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered one of these tonight. Lol

Reason being is my buddy has had one for quite a while now, and let me use it on my truck. But like guys said above, my truck was just washed, and just had light pollen on it. He told me (and I already kinda knew), that using it for a heavily soiled car or truck is a no-no.

Still, I liked the way it took off the pollen without having to QD the truck. 5 minutes vs. almost an hour. I'm sold.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of them. One longer handled for the exterior - which I rarely use for no particularly good reason - and a short handled one that I use all time for the interior, and I like it a lot.
    2015 Jaguar XF 5.0 Supercharged
    2015 Porsche Boxster (it's actually my wife's but she let's me drive it sometimes )

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast