autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Jeweling Wax - Definition

Jeweling Wax - Definition

New industry term
    I'm not sure there are any laws or regulations in our industry that prevents anyone from coming up with a new term, if anyone else knows of any authority that regulates this type of thing feel free to share a link.

Thus I Mike Phillips on March 5th of 2016 hereby create a new term and a new category for products for using in the car detailing industry called,

Jeweling Wax

Definition: An ultra fine cutting polish and wax combination that when used with a soft foam finishing or jeweling foam pad will maximize paint gloss, shine, depth and clarity while leaving behind a layer of protection.

Questions and Answers

Question: What's the difference between a jeweling wax and an AIO or cleaner/wax?

Answer: A jeweling wax is a category of products that offers the same high quality finishing ability famous to high quality fine cut or ultra fine cut polishes except that because it also contains protection ingredients, unlike a dedicated polish the surface is left both polished and protected.

Cleaner/waxes are normally and historically products used to undo damage like swirls, water spots, oxidation out of the paint on cars that have been neglected. They don't however tend to create super high gloss results like a jeweling wax.

On the flipside, because a jeweling wax offers very limited correction ability it cannot compete with or be compared to most cleaner/waxes on the market (also called AIO's), which offer more correction ability but don't and won't finish out like a true jeweling wax.

I love cleaner/waxes and use them when appropriate and even have a number of articles encouraging detailers to use cleaner/waxes when doing production detail work. I would not however consider the majority of cleaner/waxes I've used in my life to be the type of product I would use like a jeweling wax as they don't finish out as well as a true jewelling wax.

A high quality jeweling wax is too good to be lumped into the cleaner/wax category already populated with hundreds of cleaner/wax options ranging from the extreme spectrum of mediocre to very good.

A jeweling wax can be used in place of your last machine polishing step to refine the results of the previous correction steps and/or correction and polishing steps to maximize the gloss, clarity, depth and shine while also leaving the finish protected, something a dedicated polish will not do.

Question: What's the difference between a cleaner/wax and an AIO or All-in-One product for car paint?

Answer: There is no difference. The terms cleaner/wax and AIO are interchangeable and are used to describe products that are used on car paint to,

1. Clean
    2. Polish
    3. Protect

Question: What else separates a jeweling wax from traditional cleaner/wax or AIO?

Answer: Because a jeweling wax only offers very light correction and seals the paint surface at the same time a jeweling wax is perfect for regularly maintaining paint already in one of these three categories,

Category #1: Show Car Quality

Category #2: Excellent Condition

Category #3: Good Condition

See definitions and complete list of paint condition categories here,

Book: The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine - Pages 37, 38 & 39

Book: The Art of Detailing - Pages 37, 38 & 39

Article: Paint Condition Categories

Question: Can a jeweling wax replace a cleaner/wax or AIO?

Answer: Yes if the the amount of correction needed is light or when doing production detailing where the goal is to restore a shiny paint finish not undo years of damage and neglect.

The least aggressive approach
    Because the factory clearcoat on a modern car is approximately 2 mils thin (a post-it note is approximately 3 mils thin), a jeweling wax is the perfect choice for removing minor imperfections like marring caused by washing or wiping with drying chamois or microfiber towels.

Educated car owners understand their car's paint is thin, they also understand that over time and with use defects accumulate in and on the paint reducing the shine, gloss and smoothness previously present or attained by a professional detailing session.

Thus a method is needed to remove any accumulated defects, staining or oxidation that is also the least evasive to the paint, that is a method that is very non-aggressive so as to remove only the minimum measure of paint to re-level the surface and restore the paint to maximum shine, gloss, clarity and smoothness.

A jeweling wax is the perfect choice since it is less aggressive than most cleaner/waxes and AIO's on the market and also because it has the ability to create the same high quality finish a fine cut or ultra fine cut polish is able to create. T

Thus you can correct and protect while preserving as much as is possible the original film build of clear paint on a vehicle.

Perfect for regular maintenance of daily drivers
    Vehicles that are used as daily drivers are exposed to all sorts of attack to the exterior finish. This is especially true for vehicles in geographical areas where it rains.

When it rains, the cars driving in front of your car spray water from the road onto your car. The water spray contains oily fluids dripped onto the road by the hundreds and even thousands of cars that drive over the road each day. This oily water spray also contain dirt and the effect is this oily, dirty water accumulates to form road film on your car's paint.

A jeweling wax is powerful enough to remove road film to restore a clean paint surface without removing measurable amounts of paint like compounds, medium cut polishes and medium cleaning cleaner/waxes or AIO's.

Perfect product for high quality production detailing
    Production detailing usually has a negative connotation associated with it and sad to say all to often when a car is machine buffed using a one-step product by machine the results are either hologram scratches, buffer trails or micro-marring that leaves the clearcoat hazy looking.

The culprit for mediocre results when doing a one-step process to the paint by machine using a one-step product is either the product, the pad or the tool and in some cases all three factors.

With a true jeweling wax you can restore a shiny finish using only a foam polishing or finishing pad with just about any machine polisher for customer pleasing results. A true jeweling wax will remove the risk of mediocre results which are common in the production detailing world while providing technicians with a simple and easy to use product. The key to doing high quality production detailing always starts with setting the expectation of your customers and that's means educating them with a minimal understanding of the paint on their cars and the paint restoration process.

Summary
    There's a time and place for all categories of products in the paint care spectrum of car detailing. For severely neglected cars the best product might be an aggressive compound or medium cleaning cleaner/wax. A jeweling wax by definition is a very non-aggressive cleaner/wax or AIO except that it has the ability to finish out better like a high end fine cut or ultra fine cut polish while leaving the finish protected.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jeweling Wax - Definition

Although I stated yesterday in another thread that it seemed like this was a new category, someone subsequently pointed out that Meguiar's D301 is perhaps a similar product, although the "wax" in that may be synthetic, I don't remember off hand. Er, I mean I know D301 has a sealant, I don't remember if it has an actual wax also.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info. I want some. How about a list of examples and various "fine finishing" ingredients used in each. (wax -- polymer?)

Post Thanks / Like

What are some examples of Jeweling waxes sold here?

Where would CG blacklight land?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    What are some examples of Jeweling waxes sold here?
    McKee's 37 Jeweling Wax For your dual action or rotary polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thus I Mike Phillips on March 5th of 2016 hereby create a new term and a new category for products for using in the car detailing industry called,

Jeweling Wax
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for this excellent detailing term,
    along with its well spelled-out definition.

However:
    If memory serves me correctly
    (and please correct me if I'm wrong)...

I believe that you had already created (and I
    have previously credited you for doing so)
    the detailing term: "Jeweling Wax"...back
    ~September, 2014...in the below thread
    (which, by the way: I no longer can access).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lling-wax.html

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Although I stated yesterday in another thread that it seemed like this was a new category, someone subsequently pointed out that Meguiar's D301 is perhaps a similar product,

Meguiar's did in fact introduce a wax that offers very light cutting. I think originally it was introduced to remove any micro-marring from the correction steps in their DA Microfiber Correction System if and when it occurred with some paint systems.

Their system is targeted at production detailing, nothing wrong with that as that's the meat and potatoes of the detailing business. They didn't however use the word jeweling in their description, promotion and marketing.

I don't know why they didn't use the term jeweling but perhaps because it doesn't work like a jeweling polish or at least it doesn't work like a jeweling polish on a wide spectrum of paint systems. It could be simply because the term jeweling wasn't a word they associated with their product of the intended use of the product or the market they are targeting? Again.. I don't know? D301 is a part of a dedicated system for the production detailing industry.

A jeweling wax doesn't have to be part of a dedicated system and it also doesn't have to be targeted at the production detailing industry.

As an example... we used it on Thursday, March 3rd as our LSP or Last Step Product to prepare a very high dollar streetrod for display AND competition at a prestigious car show.

This product is too good to be lumped in the general category of cleaner/waxes or AIO's.

Thus in my personal opinion, (and we're all entitled to our own opinion), a new category was needed for this product to be placed into. I took on the responsibility of creating a new term for the industry. I've done this in the past with terms like

Test Spot
    RIDS
    Type I - Type II - Type II Water Spots

My guess is other companies will follow and you will see more products introduced as jeweling waxes or jeweling sealants or jeweling coatings.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

I believe that you had already created (and Ihave previously credited you for doing so) the detailing term: "Jeweling Wax"...back ~September, 2014...in the below thread (which, by the way: I no longer can access).

Bob

You're correct Bob but that was before this product was introduced and it was decided to take this product in a different direction so that old definition thread was moved to the moderators forum.

Good memory!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Meguiar's did in fact introduce a wax that offers very light cutting. I think originally it was introduced to remove any micro-marring from the correction steps in their DA Microfiber Correction System if and when it occurred with some paint systems.

Their system is targeted at production detailing, nothing wrong with that as that's the meat and potatoes of the detailing business. They didn't however use the word jeweling in their description, promotion and marketing.

My guess is other companies will follow and you will see more products introduced as jeweling waxes or jeweling sealants or jeweling coatings.
    I always just think of it as "D301" and I had to actually think about it for a minute to remember the name of the product, which is "Finishing Wax". Regardless of whether that product fits into it, you've now created the Jeweling Wax category with its first product (McKee's 37 Jeweling Wax), and along with it, new nomenclature, as you noted.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast