autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jeweling Wax - Definition

I'd say that the Meguiar's D301 "Finishing Wax" would absolutely fall into the very light, jewelling end of the spectrum. So much so in fact that what... over 2 year after D300 and D301 were introduced Meguiar's came out with D302, which actually falls IN BETWEEN D300 and D301 on the cut scale. (That and it doesn't have any sealant/wax in it.)

Now there are several though that Menzerna has, that ARE actually a very light polish with a wax/sealant.... and those are pretty hard to find.

Back last year there was a BOGO on Menzerna Sealing Wax (apo60 I think) which was in a white bottle with an orange label. Got two of those then, and it'll seriously jewel! Since then, it's become hard to find. Likely due to a bottling change, which moved to a purple and gray label that reads "SW Protect" on it.

NOW.... if you look at the yet AGAIN new bottling / labeling from Menzerna they have TWO products that seem to fit the bill.

First you have to look through their new convention, step by step process, then look up their stuff with a "4" on the bottle. The new nomenclature follows the steps, 1, 2, 3, 4 for workflow.

The first of them is Power Protect Ultra which shows as a 2 cut with 10 gloss (2/10) on their scale. (Oddly enough... the scale/slider thingy is EXACTLY in the same place as my old bottles of Sealing Wax.)
    Next there is another rebottling of a product they are calling Sealing Wax that isn't showing any cut, described as:
    Produces a deep gloss and brilliance on the coating surface.
    Builds up a protective film that counteracts the adhesion of dirt.

Keep in mind that this - IS - NOT "Power Lock", it's another sealant altogether, using the terminology from way back (when it was in the white bottle with an orange label), still calling it "Sealing Wax". Strangely enough.... it doesn't say ANYTHING about cut on the photos I'm looking at on the Menzerna site, but I do know for YEARS that Sealing Wax has had an ever so slight amount of cut in it. (Again, 2/10 cut/gloss.)

So it *seems* that there are still AT LEAST TWO from Menzerna that provide both cut, and a "wax". (Which of course is some sort of sealant.) Could actually be 3, if not 4 different bottles, depending on whether or not you can find the white/orange bottles, along with the black bottle purple/gray label "SW" product.

And if that wasn't enough to cloud the waters so to speak. Let us not forget Menzerna Top Finish Machine Glaze! Considering that at some point, meaning that we DO drive our rides, that to expect 100% correction 100% of the time is just unrealistic, so therein we have the need for a filler. I've not tried Top Finish, but if the powers that be, would be ever so charitable and send me a bottle..... I'd SURELY be willing to use it, as well as write a review on how it behaves on our DD's around here.

And of course I didn't forget about the 3-in-1 (AIO) from Menzerna either. But this conversation is about "jewelling wax/sealant" products.

Then we come full circle to.... of course.... Meguair's D301 Finishing Wax. Which by all reasonable points, fits the bill of a jewelling product very well indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    snip
    We don't disagree- I was merely speculating as to what the reply might be

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    We don't disagree- I was merely speculating as to what the reply might be
    Lol I know you wasn't dis agreeing , other people were, I was just explaining my opinions and thoughts !

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The naming of this product is misleading

It is not actually a glaze and is not designed to leave protection behind

It is actually a fine finishing polish. Very similar to Menzerna SF4000

No idea why PBMG decided on this moniker

Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    The naming of this product is misleading

It is not actually a glaze and is not designed to leave protection behind

It is actually a fine finishing polish. Very similar to Menzerna SF4000

No idea why PBMG decided on this moniker

One thing I found out, is the old timers.

Guys in there 50's +

LOVE THE WORD GLAZE and using GLAZE.

I have no idea why, every middle age man that comes on my shop talks about glazing and it drives me nuts lol.

I guess it because glaze really did help single stage paints, and they never grew out of it. Not understanding the base coat clear coat system.

I told them I don't glaze it's pointless.

It's not polishing and not protecting it's a waste of time to me, unless you don't have alot of time to polish and need to hide some defects, other then that :thumbdown:

So it could be some marketing strategy, but yes words like that do get confusing.

Detail kings have some polishes with the word glaze for polish and it drives me nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I found out, is the old timers.

Guys in there 50's +

LOVE THE WORD GLAZE and using GLAZE.

I have no idea why, every middle age man that comes on my shop talks about glazing and it drives me nuts lol.

I guess it because glaze really did help single stage paints, and they never grew out of it. Not understanding the base coat clear coat system.

I told them I don't glaze it's pointless.

It's not polishing and not protecting it's a waste of time to me, unless you don't have alot of time to polish and need to hide some defects, other then that :thumbdown:

So it could be some marketing strategy, but yes words like that do get confusing.

Detail kings have some polishes with the word glaze for polish and it drives me nuts.
    This 60+ loves the word GLAZE Thanks for the education....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    This 60+ loves the word GLAZE Thanks for the education....
    Didn't mean any offense, I'm sure you understand the difference between compound,polish,wax,glaze,sealant.

I was talking about people that don't understand the difference, and just used the word glaze, cause it sounds cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't mean any offense, I'm sure you understand the difference between compound,polish,wax,glaze,sealant.

I was talking about people that don't understand the difference, and just used the word glaze, cause it sounds cool!
    No problem,,, Thanks to uinz here on AG and autopia I have learned the difference That`s why I am wondering if the jeweling procedure would help in getting my arctic White toy to that next level..

Post Thanks / Like

Jeweling Wax - Definition

I'd argue that a cleaner wax, glaze with protection, including some correction ability with micro abrasives has been around for years....CG Blacklight. Obviously technology gets better over the years but as far as this product being the first of its kind categorically...it may be a different type using carnuba instead of a sealant, and it may very well be superior as any new product should be compared to a five year old product...but I'd argue it's nots new conceptually speaking.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast