autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Evolution of Automotive Paint and Protectant Technology History of Automotive Coatings Ever since the first automobiles were made in
    This article is more about wax/polish but it does show through out the years as the paint that was used changed what was used and how it was used had to change as well. But I believe it still applies to this topic. From a manufacturer point of view they are all trying to find new ways for their products and tools to work well with the automotive paint. And with new products and tools comes new techniques. Everything on this poll has changed because the paint has changed. None of these choices has caused the paint to change. Therefore my take on it is cause the type of paint being used has changed it has "forced"everything else in this industry to change as well. Which mean all the manufacturer are taking in consideration the paint to produce their products and tools. Which would make the paint the most important factor. Once again just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I voted for tool. To me, polishing means having the necessary tools to start. I know if I was polishing by hand I would not have enjoyed the experience. By having the necessary tools (in this case I'm thinking a polisher), I can define what pads and abrasive technology I need. For anyone starting out, I say the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint is tool.

Once you have the tools, technique is second most important factor. Learn how to use the polisher you have to achieve optimum results.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Good catch Stephen!

I still say:
    Technique OR more succinctly... KNOWLEDGE (which is what developed Technique) as they are intertwined like DNA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Number one technique. If I had Tiger Woods clubs and he had Walmart clubs, I think he still wins. Nuff said
    Would you use a putter off of the tee and putt with a sand wedge.

Determining what the paint "Needs" determines the Technique, Tool, Pads, etc.

Good conversation Starter!
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing what the needs are ...doesn't equate to good results. Good technique does.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Knowing what the needs are ...doesn't equate to good results. Good technique does.
    argument can be made that if paint is to point of no return the best technique in the world will not give good results either. And with out quality tools,pads, and product the technique isn't gonna male a difference

Mike Phillips

The thing about technique is if a person is using inferior abrasive technology all the technique in the world won't change the abrasive technology and make it good.

I've been answering questions in the forum world as long and in most cases longer than most. I can't count how many times someone has joined the forum seeking help because they're not getting good results.

What I normally ask them is a series of questions and ar some point as them what they are using and if it's a brand not known for producing great results then the first thing they need to do is change products.

Technique is important but the process starts at the surface and you can't assume every product is as high of quality as you might use. The question isn't about you... it's "generally speaking".

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it to be paint.After all that`s what you are attempting to polish.Mitigating factors include condition, type, thickness, panel shapes ect. Paint is the canvas. Tools, products, knowledge, allotted time to achieve the end result all play a part for the artist.
    You can put lipstick on a pig, but it`s still a pig.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

I picked abrasive technology. But for me, technique is a close 2nd after.

The reason why I picked abrasive technology is because I was just comparing the compounds/polishes I used back when I first started detailing with Mike Phillips (when he was still in MOL) in 2004. Back in the day, Meguiar's only offered DAT based products such as M83, M82 and M80. Granted, we only had the original porter cable or G100 back in the day. We could only achieve so much with those product combinations... For sure, we can't remove sanding marks with M83 paired with the porter cable. But when Meguiar's came out with the SMAT products (M105/M205), the user can achieve much stunning results with the same polisher/pads/technique. Heck, some people were using M105 with the PC to remove sanding marks!!! So from this abrasive technology advancement, you can see how one can achieve better results with just a change in compounds/polishes. Not only better results but they save time too.

Now we even have better products to choose from. The Griot's Garage BOSS creams are something to check out!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

After reading Mike's post I'm going to pull a politician move and flip flop and go with abrasive technology, though I think it was some what of a trick question, you got me Mike
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast