autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    My vote goes for technique. I think it encompasses all of the other things on the list. Pad, product, machine, paint, abrasives, all of these things are chosen by the detailer for each particular job they are doing and to me that is "technique."
    I think this states it perfectly! Choice of products is part of technique - indeed, technique is the one thing that the detailer actually controls!

<TED>

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    My vote goes for technique. I think it encompasses all of the other things on the list. Pad, product, machine, paint, abrasives, all of these things are chosen by the detailer for each particular job they are doing and to me that is "technique."
    Totally agree with one more thought. Technique can equate to education. As we do, use or evaluate we then apply it to our technique.

Does that make sense? I've rewritten that a few times and can't quit get it to read right.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

How about clean pads? One speck of debris could wreck everything else.
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Customer expected outcome. They are the reason you re polishing in the first place.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Mike Phillips

I think something has been lost in translation?

I think, and this is just a guess, that some think the question is about the process. That is doing the work.

It's not.

It's about the 5 items or factors listed in the poll.

Out of just these 5 things - which do you think would be the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

No need to read into it or make it more complicated than it has to be.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for paint. I can adjust tool, technique, pad, and abrasive but I can do nothing with a problematic paint. I once met a paint that will deny anything in my arsenal and believe me, that one real hell to work with.

Mike Phillips

I just boarded my flight to Kansas City. When I get to my hotel I'll post my opinion and why later after I check into my hotel.

Post Thanks / Like

Tools ( polisher + pads + compound ) if you have bad o or damage tools you can't get a perfect paint correction, so you need tools + techniques

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I still say technique.... (even though I've heard Mike say for YEARS it's abrasive technology).

Experience...... equals Technique!

Technique - tells you how to work your tool(s).

Technique - tells you what paint is hard, what paint is soft, what is in-between.

Technique - tells you what pads work on hard, soft, difficult paint.

Technique - tells you what abrasive technology you want for WHAT paint or WHAT pad.

Technique - Is what gets you to the finish line!

Post Thanks / Like

I went with abrasive technology since it's where the rubber meets the road and is what is actually doing the physical work to the paint. Wish I could have picked two because I think technique is equally important.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast