autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I say paint. Type of paint and condition of the paint will affect my choice of the others. Paint determines the tool, abrasive, pad and my technique. No paint, no point.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Number 5: Abrasive technology

Basing my choice, (after prior and
    careful introspection), upon your assessment
    as that being so—as found in many of your
    postings such as this: ditto number 5 abrasive technology for the win

I also agree with this assessment:

Bob
    Ditto the abrasive technology for the win

Post Thanks / Like

I would hope technique would encompass knowing what you can and can not accomplish with what is at your disposal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Technique trumps product every time. If you have lousy technique then who cares what product you use. It will still be a sub-par polishing detail. If you have excellent technique, then you could use any decent product and still do a great detail. That includes pads, tools and polishing products.

That is if the paint is workable...if not no product or technique will not matter. If there is no clearcoat or beyond workable and needs paint then nothing will work.
    I'm going with technique and everything Kam said.

I've read literally hundreds of posts over the past few years where posters had the right products and equipment yet got sub par results and were asking for help. That would lead one to believe technique in the long run wins out. Speaking for myself, I'm definitely better at assessing and correcting paint than I was 5 years ago. And most of that has to do with practice and perfecting my technique along with all the great help from forum members and Mike P over the past few years.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a tad bit of as trick question, as you cant soley rely on just one

technique isn't too crucial with a long stroke ..but results wont obviously be the best as they could be
    novice/amateur technique with a longstroke equipped with proper pad and abrasive will get job done

rotary machine needs technique

Machine just dictates correction/finishing speed for most part

Pad selection if wrong just wont cut it depending on clearcoat or polish combo.

abrasive tech, pretty much same issues as pad selection

it all plays together to well to deem one the most important

so again..if rotary user, i'll def say technique is most important
    if D/A i'd say pad/abrasive combo

Post Thanks / Like

Technique

Why it is not the equipment type, style, size, cost, made in the USA, Germany, Italy, or China.

It is the skills, knowledge, experience, and confidence to start/finish the detail.

I`m no where close in the skills, knowledge, experience of the majority of members but I do have confidence that I can and will learn.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I picked paint as all the rest are dependent upon its thickness, hardness, condition, cleanliness, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently watched a video of a large scale project. While each and every one of these factors were discussed in the video, and it seemed like one as important as the other, an individual mentioned something that caught my ear.
    (Didn't want to link video or identify the project to influence others decisions)

So, my vote is for abrasive technology.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

When I think of polishing paint, I see it as basically rubbing abrasive using a tool with a pad on the surface. This is how I view the 5 factors:

Technique- IMO, technique mainly consist of priming of pad, tool speed, arm buffing speed motion, buffing pressure and buffing duration. I think technique can be learnt and at most only produce the optimal result of what the polish/ pad can achieve. Polish and pad technology has already more or less set the parameter of the result it can produce.

Tool- It is just a tool using power and motion to apply and break down abrasive on the paint.

Pad- It is what touches the paint and affect how the abrasive is rub on the paint. It is important but i think it makes a slightly less impact than abrasive.

Paint- Since Mike mentioned that paint mention here is polish-able then i think it is less significant than other factors.

Abrasive- Looking at some of the abrasive, the manufacturer had to specifically formulate 0.1 micron abrasives just for soft black 202,212 paint code. We are actually dealing with extremely sensitive material. I think it is just too hard to rub poor abrasive material on clear coat and trying to level it to the state you wish even with superb techniques. Almost like trying to achieve 2000 grit sanding result with an 1500 grit paper...

So if i had to rate:

Technique (3)
    Tool (4)
    Pad (2)
    Paint (5)
    Abrasive Technology (1)

^^

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast