autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The thing about technique is if a person is using inferior abrasive technology all the technique in the world won't change the abrasive technology and make it good.

I've been answering questions in the forum world as long and in most cases longer than most. I can't count how many times someone has joined the forum seeking help because they're not getting good results.

What I normally ask them is a series of questions and ar some point as them what they are using and if it's a brand not known for producing great results then the first thing they need to do is change products.

Technique is important but the process starts at the surface and you can't assume every product is as high of quality as you might use. The question isn't about you... it's "generally speaking".

I think I get it now.

If you have the correct polish/compound the other choices can be tweaked. Technique will not make M105 finish the same as M205.
    This thread just eats at me because I equate technique with knowledge and experience.

I suppose compounds these days can make bad technique shine.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it's not so black and white with abrasive technology vs technique. Most is which person who does the polishing. It's on what person and their experience before they polish. If Mike Phillips would take in a random person with no experience at all. And don't explain how he or she would do. But they are on their own. And read only the product description of the tools and products they have to chose from. They have great abrasive technology at hand and many polishers and pads to chose from.

Then you take in a good detailer with the eye for polishing great results. Same options and then an older compound and polish with not so good abrasive technology.

I don't think it's many that will get better results than the experienced detailer. This is like someone does it own research and buy tools and products by reading about them. Most will be leaning at the cheaper alternatives of products. And the chance is very big that they buy a compound and polish with not so good abrasive technology. The experienced detailer know about doing the test spot. They know what tool and if compound or polish is going to be needed on the paint they are trying to correct. The detailer will be faster to dial in what he would use for this test. Now both would not get any amazing results as they are hindered from as the random person would be no assist in what to use and the detailer by not so good abrasive technology.

Take the same situation but give the detailer access to the great abrasive technology. You know who to bet on. Know ad Mike Phillips in to assist the non experienced person with knowledge and how he will do and help with tuning the persons technique. Now you have both the person and the detailer to be doing some great results. The experienced detailer may do it in a shorter time.

What my point is that with bad technique and how great the abrasive technology and tools are. It's more how talented the unexperienced is at snapping up how polishing works. But with education and help at getting a good technique it goes quite fast to getting good results from polishing and even awesome results with a great teacher.

Some things is hard to stand to each other and rate the most important. As if you take one of these out with a bad or wrong result. It won't be any good results from it. In the case of polishing you need both good abrasive technology and a good technique to get god results. If bad or wrong abrasive technology for the paint you are polishing. You will not get good results even with good technique. With bad or wrong technique you will also not getting any good results how good of abrasive technology you have at hand. And I have not even takeing the other options in the poll to consideration. As you would do the polishing with only a rotary polisher. Or you have a very finicky sticky paint. Even the quality of the pad if you use a bad quality pads that are prone to micro marring.

All is important to have a good quality on the products and how you use them and what you are useing them on. To be able to get good results from polishing. Then it's also important which talent the person have. To see what happens and understand what to do to make the most out of the products and tools.

Okay I stop now LOL. Just some thoughts about polishing paint. And that's a process that goes hand in hand to get great results when polishing.

4. Likes Klasse Act, spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I think that it's not so black and white with abrasive technology vs technique. Most is which person who does the polishing. It's on what person and their experience before they polish. If Mike Phillips would take in a random person with no experience at all. And don't explain how he or she would do. But they are on their own. And read only the product description of the tools and products they have to chose from. They have great abrasive technology at hand and many polishers and pads to chose from.

Then you take in a good detailer with the eye for polishing great results. Same options and then an older compound and polish with not so good abrasive technology.

I don't think it's many that will get better results than the experienced detailer. This is like someone does it own research and buy tools and products by reading about them. Most will be leaning at the cheaper alternatives of products. And the chance is very big that they buy a compound and polish with not so good abrasive technology. The experienced detailer know about doing the test spot. They know what tool and if compound or polish is going to be needed on the paint they are trying to correct. The detailer will be faster to dial in what he would use for this test. Now both would not get any amazing results as they are hindered from as the random person would be no assist in what to use and the detailer by not so good abrasive technology.

Take the same situation but give the detailer access to the great abrasive technology. You know who to bet on. Know ad Mike Phillips in to assist the non experienced person with knowledge and how he will do and help with tuning the persons technique. Now you have both the person and the detailer to be doing some great results. The experienced detailer may do it in a shorter time.

What my point is that with bad technique and how great the abrasive technology and tools are. It's more how talented the unexperienced is at snapping up how polishing works. But with education and help at getting a good technique it goes quite fast to getting good results from polishing and even awesome results with a great teacher.

Some things is hard to stand to each other and rate the most important. As if you take one of these out with a bad or wrong result. It won't be any good results from it. In the case of polishing you need both good abrasive technology and a good technique to get god results. If bad or wrong abrasive technology for the paint you are polishing. You will not get good results even with good technique. With bad or wrong technique you will also not getting any good results how good of abrasive technology you have at hand. And I have not even takeing the other options in the poll to consideration. As you would do the polishing with only a rotary polisher. Or you have a very finicky sticky paint. Even the quality of the pad if you use a bad quality pads that are prone to micro marring.

All is important to have a good quality on the products and how you use them and what you are useing them on. To be able to get good results from polishing. Then it's also important which talent the person have. To see what happens and understand what to do to make the most out of the products and tools.

Okay I stop now LOL. Just some thoughts about polishing paint. And that's a process that goes hand in hand to get great results when polishing.
    The question implies all things being equal. If you are going to throw out all these different scenarios then there can be no 1 answer.

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    The question implies all things being equal. If you are going to throw out all these different scenarios then there can be no 1 answer.
    And that's what I also wanted to point out. Even with great abrasive technology that seems to be the 1 answer.

If you don't have the technique you will not be getting any good results when polishing.

If you have a polisher that is not good you will not have any good results.

If you don't have a good polishing pad you will be not get a good result.

If you have a paint that is off low quality and can not be finished. Yeah there is those repaints.

If you don't have a good abrasive technology you will not get any good results.

If all is equal as good you will have good results. So my answer is that all is as important factor to get good results. Since if 1 factor is not good you will have not have good results. Without tune it to a good technique or change to a good product. Take one out and it fails without changing it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post

I think I get it now.

If you have the correct polish/compound the other choices can be tweaked. Technique will not make M105 finish the same as M205.

Um... no.

Abrasive technology is the actual "abrasives" in a bottle of products. Some work, some don't. There is no grey area.

All the technique in the world won't make bad abrasives work good. It's really that simple. My guess is most people only know what they know, this means they've only used a few products in their lives and if what they use works it can be easy for them to think that all products work good or great. My knowledge base is much larger and spans a lot more time and I'm telling you - when it comes to abrasive technology, it either works or it doesn't there is no grey area and no amount of "technique" will make bad rocks in the bottle work good.

9. Thanks spazzz thanked for this post
    Likes spazzz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Learned from you a long time ago, technique.

Post Thanks / Like

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Misread a post. Removed comment.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice insights.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by krettas View Post

Learned from you a long time ago, technique.

Of course technique is important and vital. Now days you can learn technique from a single YouTube video as long as the person talking and running the buffer knows what they are doing and can adequately "speak" to explain what to do.

But it ALL starts with what is TOUCHING the paint and technique does not touch the paint.

A few weeks ago I perfected a black demo hood, one that I have painted by the same painter since moving to Florida 10 years ago. The same type of paint that I use to test all kinds of compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes for other companies and internally, and I'm pretty good at this type of stuff.

Look at the pictures. No amount of technique is EVER going to make the two products I used "work".

Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast