autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    And I know this from first hand experience as I worked for Meguiar's when the #2 and #9 Tag Team were introduced to the market. I even have the catalogs that introduced this "new at the time" system.

I did THOUSANDS of demonstrations showing,

Nikken Finishing Papers
    #2 Fine Cut Cleaner with wool and foam pads
    #9 Hi Tech Swirl Remover with foam pads
    #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax
    I think I have one of those catalog cut sheets around somewhere, too. I remember using that regimen (minus the sandpaper), only my tool was my Craftsman orbital buffer (what do you refer to them as, wax spreaders?) with terry bonnets and using way too much product (in retrospect). That was an exhausting all day job and always left me thinking afterwards "this better last for 6 months because I'm too tired to do it again before then". How far we've come.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Technique gets my vote and along with that comes patience. I usually have to slow myself down a bit mentally because I want to get the job done faster but if you are doing serious correction on a vintage car I have to slow myself down or I will a scratch or defect. Then, I will have to go over it again, so I didn't really save time.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaral39 View Post

Technique gets my vote and along with that comes patience.

What if you didn't get to choose your products?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a newbie when it comes to detailing. However, after having the good fortune to meet many people that are at the top of their varied fields, I have to say technique matters most. Someone with Mike's skill, using the cheapest of tools (including the DA that shall not be named), and basic OTC products, could make a car look amazing!

If you give an artist a pen and a napkin..
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Nowadays, its hard to pinpoint exactly what matters most.
    Technique - With the progressing polishers and rotary machines they are allowing detailers to use less effort to perform the work as opposed to a rotary buffer with a wool pad 30 years ago.
    Abrasive Technology - Also improving rapidly to ensure the easiest application and removal.
    Tool - Tools are progressing to the point of where it wouldn't take any effort at all by 2020. Each year a new model with a longer throw and lbs of pressure with less effort on your limbs.
    Paint - Generally all paint is the same...basecoat/clearcoat. Hardness and softness is a big factor. Obviously you don't want too soft or too hard, but an EXPERIENCED detailer can adapt to this fairly easily.
    Pad - All work can be done with all pads out there. I used Masterpro Waffle Weave 8 inch pads and I turned a 95' GMC Red Pickup back to life. Knowing how to use those pads is an important aspect in executing the work.

Technique or Product?

Technique. Knowing how to adapt to what you have. But also being smart and having the appropriate product for the job.
    Seth Berry - Pursuit Mobile Detailing
    http://www.pursuitdetailing.com
    info@pursuitdetailing.com

Mike Phillips

The good news is technology has improved so much from the early days of detailing that now days it doesn't require much skill to turn out pro grade work.

Heck had over 25 people in my free Thursday night class last night and after 5 minutes of demonstration I turned these guys loose on show cars and they turned out show car work.

Here's what I do know... all the technique in the world won't product good results if you're using products that use antiquated abrasive technology.

It could be that all the majority of people that think technique is number one have only used a good products in the past. Nothing wrong with that. I'm going on 30 years of detailing cars and I know first hand from using dozens of brands for compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes, that not everything out works great. Thus all the technique in the world doesn't matter because technique isn't touching the paint. The abrasives are.

Junior Member attention2detaillhc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am new to the site and mainly detail boats, but have done a lot of cars. My vote is paint. If you do not have a good canvas to start with there is not point in starting. I have detailed so many boats that have terrible gel, and they expect the detailer to make miracles happen. It's not that easy. While you may have the the technique and the best equipment\products without a well painted car or gelled boat it will never be perfect.

Mike Phillips

Hi attention2detailhc,

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by attention2detaillhc View Post

I am new to the site and mainly detail boats, but have done a lot of cars. My vote is paint. If you do not have a good canvas to start with there is not point in starting. I
    While I didn't make it clear in the initial post, the point of the poll was to assume you were working on paint that was normal or able to be polished like about 90% of the cars a person would be asked to work on.

But yes you're right in that if the paint on a car is past the point of no return then nothing you pour out of a bottle or scoop out of a can is going to save it.

I categorize this paint here,

Paint Condition Categories

See category #11

Junior Member attention2detaillhc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hi attention2detailhc,

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

While I didn't make it clear in the initial post, the point of the poll was to assume you were working on paint that was normal or able to be polished like about 90% of the cars a person would be asked to work on.

But yes you're right in that if the paint on a car is past the point of no return then nothing you pour out of a bottle or scoop out of a can is going to save it.

I categorize this paint here,

Paint Condition Categories

See category #11

Thanks for the welcome! Thank you for the clarification and the link.

In my location abrasives are critical. I have seen a real improvement in the results and time it takes me to cut a boat using Marine 31's abrasives. Especially with boats sitting in the water for extended periods of time, adding the 120+ degree temperatures really take a toll and require extensive cutting.
    Jon - Lake Havasu City, Arizona - AKA In the middle of the desert!
    http://www.attention2detaillhc.com/

Post Thanks / Like

This is EASILY the PAINT itself. The condition of the paint determines which Tool, Pad, Abrasive technology, AND Technique I'm going to use to correct it.

Abrasive technology and pad 'harmony' is the next most important factor.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast