autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

done

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

1: Technique.
    2: Tool.
    3: Pad.
    4: Paint.
    5: Abrasive technology.

Which one and why?

So Mike, what has changed since your post from a few years ago about technique?

Technique is everything

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

So Mike, what has changed since your post from a few years ago about technique?

Technique is everything

You know... I've written so many articles I don't even remember writing that one.

Thank you for finding it though and bringing it into this discussion. I wrote that almost 4 years ago. Here's the time stamp from the first post in that article.

09-04-2012, 04:00 PM

NOW if you read what I wrote in the first post of the above thread you'll find this quote,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

"Technique is everything"

I just read that in the middle of page 10 in my how-to book and it made me think about how often someone asks,

Question: Which foam pads are best?

Answer: Buffing pads are important but as long as you're using a good quality, clean foam pad with a quality product, technique becomes more important than the pad or the products.

And when I wrote that, key in on this portion of my answer and I've made the pertinent portion bold and red.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

but as long as you're using a good quality, clean foam pad with a quality product, technique becomes more important than the pad or the products
    I still stand by what I wrote in context in that article and in that article I stated that technique is everything AS LONG AS YOU'RE USING GOOD QUALITY, CLEAN FOAM PAD WITH A QUALITY PRODUCT.

The words quality product would mean something that uses great abrasive technology, not a archaic caveman product.

In this poll, I didn't clearly state that you could not choose your, pad, product or tool and in hindsight I should have made that explicitly clear because after posting it I found that most people that answered the poll assumed they would be in control of their choice for tool, pad and product but that wasn't actually what I intended.

I meant if you had no control over your choices, when it comes to polishing paint what would the most important factor be and I still stand by abrasive technology.

So when you read exactly what I wrote in that article then "yes" technique is everything assuming you're get to use quality products.

But if you don't have compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes that use great abrasive technology then all the technique in the world isn't going to make the paint look good.

Thanks for bringing that thread into the conversation and I'm okay with anyone that thinks technique is #1 when it comes to polishing paint. But I wholeheartedly disagree and there's nothing that will change my mind because not every compound, polish or cleaner/wax on the market uses great abrasive technology.

One thing that what I wrote in that article proves is I write very carefully and I write for the future. By this I mean when I post something to a public forum I've already looked at inside and out and from every angle because I know there's always a handful of people out there that want to try to find just one single fault in what I write.

I'm a veteran of the Zaino vs NXT wars
    My writing style is what I call defensive writing. By this I mean if I post it... I can defend it. And this post from over 4 years ago proves it.

Half my work on this forum is just remembering what I've already written and it's hard to hit 100% so thanks for finding this article for me.

Words are important
    Every single word I choose to use when I write I have chosen carefully and specifically. That's my style.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with PAINT.

If I show up to some guy's house to polish out his car, and come to find something so badly neglected, he has clear coat failure. THAT there, the PAINT, has become the deciding, single most important factor, in knowing I have to decline the job and walk away.

However, PRODUCT (abrasive technology)would be my next choice.

I showed up to do a car once. Did a test spot. Got mediocre results, but my technique was the same I've used on a couple of other cars. Those mediocre results were the best I could accomplish, and the owner asked me to finish the car, even though I told him I wouldn't accept money for the work done so far (the hood).

The next day, I showed up with newly purchased products. Got a much better result, and at a faster rate.

What changed? ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY (product). My technique didn't change.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mike and that's what I thought. I also posted some where else on this that my detailing experience has definitely evolved since that article was written 4 years or so ago. I think continuous improvement is part of life. I know in my 25 year sales career I still continue to strive to learn and be better at what I do.

So regarding what you posted above about pad, product etc, I agree on the quality products part and since I only use quality products that's pretty much why I chose technique.

All things considered I just don't think any one part of the process really trumps the other as it's a system approach but it's hard to beat experience.

Like for example GSKR, he does amazing work with a rotary. I wouldn't touch a rotary because I'd kill whatever I put it on

I don't have the experience or technique to a rotary properly. My experience has evolved with da's and using different machines and products and it's been a fun learning experience.

Thanks for all the help over the past few years Mike. You along with the forum and it's members have definitely helped me take my skills to the next level.

PS Mike, I wasn't searching for that particular post, I was looking for something else and someone had tagged onto it. LOL.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I have chosen 5: Abrasive technology. Because knowing a products Abrasive technology will help you chose the correct product for the job. For it is the product touching the paint. 1: Technique: technique is also very important.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

The metal tip on the show about going with the grain , no polish would protect from that user error.

Technique.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post

The metal tip on the show about going with the grain , no polish would protect from that user error.

Technique.
    That's true but this poll was about working on car paint - not brushed Nickel.

And the tip was spot on. You don't apply metal polishes to brushed metal surfaces against the grain.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of results are we looking to get?

Keep in mind we can not choose what paint we are gonna be working on either. If half way through a job you get to a repainted panel chances are your pad, machine, product and technique may give you different results unless you change 1 of the 4. Therefore I still say paint. Plus when people on here ask what products to use 1 of the first questions is what kind of car. Which means most of us are taking the paint into consideration first
    Hi my name is Steve and I am a Griotsaholic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    That's true but this poll was about working on car paint - not brushed Nickel.

And the tip was spot on. You don't apply metal polishes to brushed metal surfaces against the grain.

I agree Mike,

I kind of think technique is the most important factor because no product will make me do what you can do, although I would agree that I can achieve very good results consistently with the right products. tomato, tomato

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast