autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I answered paint too earlier but admit, like you paul g, i misinterpreted the question. GREAT perspective from Mike P and valid justification for his answer. The best thing about my frequent attendance here at the church of St. Phillips is how he gets me to think hard about what we do and specifically what its doing... either good or bad.

This was a very good read...once again. Thanks Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Number one technique. If I had Tiger Woods clubs and he had Walmart clubs, I think he still wins. Nuff said
    Exactly, but take the "think" out.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post

Hi Mike,

I voted technique, but I guess I read into that too much.

After reading your answer, it makes sense though.

I voted technique, as I understood that to mean there was some experience that backed it up. Experience in doing paint measurements, research on the type of car (i.e. cerami clear Merc's, single stage, tint-coat, clear-coat, etc..), properly taping off areas, and having an understanding of products (SMAT/DAT) and least aggressive methods.

In other words, I equated the answer "Technique" to be all encompassing.
    It's just a poll and we're all having fun and learning so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post

B.T.W. I purchased the PDF version of "Complete-Guide-to-a-Show-Car-Shine" and am enjoying it. I've been reading that more than the forum recently. It's a must read!
    Thank you for your business and your trust. I try to write all my how-to books so they are information rich and just as important, after reading a section you have the understanding and confidence to go out to your garage and do it!

PDF Version of The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

Just to note... I have 5 books under on the market

I'm working on 3 more books that should be ready for release in November for SEMA.

Can't share the topics just yet but I think they're going to be very popular.

Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected as well.One of the biggest concerns in the SHOW CAR GARAGE and any time one is doing paint correction is BURNING through in an attempt to get out the best the paint can offer.And for that reason I said paint first and abrasive technology would have been my second choice.(Now if we only had one of those $3000.00 paint thickness gauges with the software showing every level down to the substrate...HMMMM.)
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Before reading through most of the posts on the thread I did vote for paint. My though was let the "paint" speak to you, change your polish and or your pad till you get the desired results.

So after reading Mikes explanation and choice of abrasive technology I thought back to when I was at Mobile Tech Expo this year. I visited the Autogeek booth wanting to try out some compounds that I've not used before. I thank the AG guys for putting up with me as I went through a couple of pads and compounds to see their individual results, all using the Flex3401. All this was done on the same hood like in the pic . We instilled our own defects, next 1000 grit wet sand spots, then tested removing them. I used 3 brand new LC orange hybrid pads, with 3 different compounds. Two had great removal/results, but the third compound didn't yield the same results.

I now understand why Mike went with Abrasive Technology.

[IMG][/IMG]

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by High Caliber View Post
    Before reading through most of the posts on the thread I did vote for paint. My though was let the "paint" speak to you, change your polish and or your pad till you get the desired results.

So after reading Mikes explanation and choice of abrasive technology I thought back to when I was at Mobile Tech Expo this year. I visited the Autogeek booth wanting to try out some compounds that I've not used before. I thank the AG guys for putting up with me as I went through a couple of pads and compounds to see their individual results, all using the Flex3401. All this was done on the same hood like in the pic . We instilled our own defects, next 1000 grit wet sand spots, then tested removing them. I used 3 brand new LC orange hybrid pads, with 3 different compounds. Two had great removal/results, but the third compound didn't yield the same results.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Excellent explanation :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG][/IMG]
    The 3 compounds you used were they all quality brands?
    Did they all have the newest abrasive technology in them?
    The 1 that did not work do you think it would have done a better job with a different pad,technique or machine?
    Do you think the results would have been different if the paint was harder or softer?
    Hi my name is Steve and I am a Griotsaholic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StephenK View Post
    The 3 compounds you used were they all quality brands?
    Did they all have the newest abrasive technology in them?
    The 1 that did not work do you think it would have done a better job with a different pad,technique or machine?
    Do you think the results would have been different if the paint was harder or softer?
    Hey Steve! I know you like the GG BOSS compounds/polishes I need to get some of that. Yes all three are big names in the industry. The two that I mentioned that had great results were under the AG umbrella the 3rd was not. I agree changing the pad should yield different results. I just wanted to keep everything the same with the compound to be the only variable. It's my unscientific experiment lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve! I know you like the GG BOSS compounds/polishes I need to get some of that. Yes all three are big names in the industry. The two that I mentioned that had great results were under the AG umbrella the 3rd was not. I agree changing the pad should yield different results. I just wanted to keep everything the same with the compound to be the only variable. It's my unscientific experiment lol.
    So even with all of them having the latest abrasive technology 1 did not perform well on the paint?
    Wouldn't that make the type of paint being more important than the abrasive technology?

And yes you really need to get the B.O.S.S. creams and pads. Lmao
    Hi my name is Steve and I am a Griotsaholic

Mike Phillips

I need all you guys that voted "technique" as being number one factor to skip on over to this thread and explain to the poster the correct technique for his black paint.

Cloudy haze on black - finding the right combo

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast