autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mike Phillips

Re: Before & After - 1961 Plymouth Fury Barn Find

Quote Originally Posted by chazman View Post

***FIRST POST***** Long time lurker, though.

Good to see you make the transition from lurker to member!

Quote Originally Posted by chazman View Post

I always love seeing your "before & afters", Mike. But as "barn finds" go, this one came out of the barn fairly fresh looking.

I was hoping for a car in a lot worse condition but I have a saying,

I take em as I get em....

And "yes" under all the dirt on the car as it arrived here, the paint was shiny but it was dirt stained and this hid the true color and vibrancy of the paint. It was also filled with swirls and scratches plus some kind of above surface contamination that made the paint feel rough to the touch.

I was hoping the paint was dull and chalky from years of oxidation because I have a new project where I need a car in this condition. But alas... this was not the case.

Now if you read through the thread, in post #6 I wrote this,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

There was actually a uniform dirt stain over the entire car, paint, glass and metal trim so I compounded everything and this changed the color of the blue and white paint to make it vibrant again and it also restored clarity to the glass as well as brilliance to the chrome and stainless steel trim.

This dirt stain did not come off with the Iron X. It did not come off with the waterless wash. Machine decontamination with the Autoscrub pad on the PC did not remove it.

What removed it and what changed the color and look of the car was compounding.

I taped off a section and did a test spot and afterwards I tried to capture the before and after difference with my camera. After looking at the pictures on my monitor I simply could not see the difference via the pictures.

Jim and I could clearly see the difference in person.

I have documented and shared what it looks like when car paint has a uniform dirt stain in the past, probably more than anyone in the forum world or on Facebook.

For anyone reading this into the future, here's what dirt staining looks like.

Example 1

Here's why you need to polish paint...

My buddy Mike owns this really cool 1932 Ford Phaeton with yellow paint that to the average person looks pretty good. But a little polishing using a tape-line shows why all of us need to periodically polish the paint on our cars, especially our daily drivers, and the reason for this is because the paint becomes stained with a film of dirt that clouds the true color of the paint.

Here's a section I've taped off on the cowel because me and one of our forum members already buffed out the hood when he stopped by to test out polishers.

On the left I've clayed the paint and then machine polished it twice and then applied a coat of wax. You can clearly see the left side is now a brighter color of yellow and the right hand side has what appears to be grayish film over the paint.

Here's the same picture above with graphics....

Example 2

Here's another example I documented that shows dirt staining that takes it's toll over time...

1955 Chevy & 1947 Buick Slantback - Show Car Makeover! - Pictures & Videos

Mike Searle's 1955 Chevy Sedan Delivery

Right after Mike arrived we did a Test Spot on the driver's side fender. While most people would look at Mike's 1955 Chevy and think the paint looks GREAT in reality, the paint was completely stained with embedded dirt.

The thing is you can't see the dirt until you buff on a section to remove it. MORE IMPORTANT is it's really only easy to see embedded dirt on WHITE CARS.

But think about it... if the paint on Mike's hot rod has embedded dirt and you can see it... don't you think all colors of car paint gets dirty BUT YOU CAN'T SEE IT?

The answer is YES and that's why periodically, especially if your car is a DAILY DRIVER, besides claying the paint you want and NEED to use some type of paint cleaner to remove the embedded dirt. If you don't remove it, then when you wax you simply seal the dirt into the paint.

The more time that goes by and the more you just wax the paint, the cloudier and cloudier it will get as you continually seal in more and more dirt.

Make sense?

Now let's take a look. Here's Mike's car and in this picture it can be kind of hard to see where I buffed on the top of the front driver's side fender.

It's still hard to see the before and after difference, but for reference, I've taken the same picture above and placed an arrow pointing to the tape-line where I buffed on the front edge of the fender and left the back side of the fender along.

Now look... see what I mean by embedded dirt on and to some level, "in" the paint.

By machine polishing the paint with a high quality compound, polish or pre-wax paint cleaner, you will effectively remove the embedded dirt and restore the TRUE color of the paint.

In this case we're working on a basecoat/clearcoat finish so the dirt is embedded onto and into the clear layer of paint create a dirty cloudy film that blocks your eyes from seeing the true white pigmented color under the clear layer.

Robert Diterlizzi shared the way he explains clear coats to his customers and I really like his explanation so I'm sharing it here and giving him credit for it...

"The clear coat is like a window to the basecoat"

By that he means in order to see the true color of the basecoat the window, or in specific words, the clear coat needs to be clear. By clear, we mean free from any,

• Above surface bonded contaminants
    • Embedded dirt
    • Swirls and scratches
    All of the above work to cloud your view to the color under the clear layer of paint. So in a way, the clear coat, that is the clear layer of paint over the basecoat is like a window to the basecoat. If you want your car to look great you need to clean and polish the window covering your car's body panels.

By the time we finished buffing out both the 1955 Chevy and the 1947 Buick the colors of the paint jobs literally changed before our eyes.

Besides changing to BRIGHTER white color, we also restored SMOOTHNESS to the finish and GLOSS COMES FROM SMOOTHNESS.

Example 3

Here's another example of dirt staining over time and after compounding and polishing the car literally changed colors.

Here's Max's Mustang and it had really dirty paint too and even though it's a medium dark color, you can really see the difference in before and after compounding one section...

1966 Mustang - Last Chance to Dance Extreme Makeover!

Test Spot

I did a little testing using Pinnacle XMT #4 with a wool pad on a rotary buffer followed by XMT #2 with a foam pad on a Flex 3401 and if you look at the lower right hand corner you can see it removed enough oxidation and embedded dirt that the section I buffed now looks like a totally new color of red paint!

Example 4

Dirt in Paint or DIP - Stained Paint - Dirt Embedded Paint

Here's an example of what dirty paint looks like, note how where Marius has been machine polishing the green paint is now a lighter, brighter color of green while the un-touched paint has a darker, cloudier look to it.

Here's Marius showing Brandon how use the Porter Cable with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish to "carefully" clean and polish the original paint after we first rubbed the paint down with #7

I used MS Paint to draw a line around the section to make it easy to see the before and after difference where Marius has buffed and where the original dirty paint remains. This is an example of DIP or Dirt in Paint also called,

• Dirt Staining
    • Dirt Embedded Paint
    • Stained Paint

Here's the picture, not the difference in the color of green on either side of the black line...

Post Thanks / Like

Jim told me that the car will most likely end up with a wrap to mimic "CAR 34" police car instead of painting it like his other vintage police car.That way it could be turned back to it`s original state should he choose. Came out very nice guys. Tim.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post

Jim told me that the car will most likely end up with a wrap to mimic "CAR 34" police car instead of painting it like his other vintage police car.

That way it could be turned back to it`s original state should he choose.

And as a follow-up to what happened to this car...

Jim sold it to someone in Europe.

Sayonara Baby....

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Needed a clean URL

Post Thanks / Like

Mike
    somebody obviously saw a diamond in the rough. and I'm sure the whole time they were thinking Mike can bring this car back to life. and you did, great job ! what a nice DD that would make. I would drive the wheels off of that car.
    Carlo

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post

Mike

somebody obviously saw a diamond in the rough. and I'm sure the whole time they were thinking Mike can bring this car back to life. and you did, great job ! w

hat a nice DD that would make.

I would drive the wheels off of that car.

Carlo
    My buddy Jim bought that car as a Christmas present for his wife (actually for him I think), but later was made an offer he couldn't refuse and sold it.

We did the wetsand, cut and buff on his 1971 Plymouth Fury Police Car a few years ago... and even today, at local car shows, the finish still looks show quality as Jim knows how to properly "touch" the car's paint.

Pictures: Wetsand, Cut & Buff 1971 Fury Police Car!

Before

After

and yes, we actually re-sanded and buffed the car, not just re-buffed.

Pictures: Wetsand, Cut & Buff 1971 Fury Police Car!

7. Likes Diner liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Shared here on the question about using an Iron Remover without a normal water hose and bucket wash.

Using Iron-X in a rinseless wash situation?

Mike Phillips

10. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

HOLY SMOKES!!!!! THAT CAR LOOKS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!!

Thank you for sharing these techniques!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike,

What is the criteria that makes it so you need to resort to this technique?

I've noticed on some of your other classics you didn't use the iron decontamination step.

Is this because they were garage queens and therefore the iron decontamination wasn't necessary?

Thanks in advance!

-Jacob

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345