autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?

How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?

One of the most common questions asked goes like the title of this article, and that is,

How long should I wait before I wax my brand new car?

The answer to that question is,

As soon as possible

Don't wait for the condition of the car to start going downhill before taking action. By the time you see visible signs of wear-n-tear, swirls and scratches, water spots and oxidation, it's already too late. At this point now you're going to have to bring out the big guns, that is get out all the tools like compounds, polishes, buffers, etc. and then try to undo the damage.

Some people just plain don't know it's not only perfectly okay to wash and wax a brand new car it's in the car's best interest as well as the owners.

Some people confuse a brand new car with a brand new paint job? They think because the car is brand new this also means the paint is new or f-r-e-s-h as in just painted a few days ago.

By the time a new car travels down an assembly line and is kicked out the door, the paint is already completely dried, cured and hardened. Even more time goes by before the car travels from the manufacturing plant to the show room floor at your local new car dealership.

What this means to you is that by the time you purchase the car and get it home the paint is perfectly dried, cured and hardened and ready to be sealed with a coat of wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a paint coating.

The BEST time to start taking care of a brand new car is while the car is still in brand new condition. It's when everything is new and in excellent condition that washing, waxing and detailing your car inside and out will be the easiest ever... and in most cases, also the most fun.

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 detailed by Mike Phillips

Here's my buddy Jim's brand new 2014 Mercedes-Benz E350. Jim just purchased this Mercedes-Benz at a South Florida Mercedes-Benz Dealership and the car only has 200 miles on it. Jim contacted me to detail it. Here's a few pictures to tell the story...

I took this picture early Saturday morning, before 9:00am. There were clouds in the sky so it was hard to get the perfect "Sun Shot" but I'll describe what I saw and that was an almost perfect finish.

No real swirls or scratches that show up in sunlight...

Here's the sun shining onto the trunklid...

Not to bad at all, there's a few very shallow swirls here and there but overall the finish on this car looks like how a finish should look when you purchase a brand new car.

Under florescent lights we found some DIP or Dirt in Paint, these looked and felt like small particles of dirt that somehow land in the paint while it's still wet.

Here they are with circles drawn around them to make it easier to see where they were. I used a 3" Trizact Disc in #5000 grit to lightly sand them flat Then buffed out my sanding marks using the Rupes Mini 12 with the Rupes Blue Foam Cutting Pad and matching Rupes Compound.

Process

Jim washed his car beforehand so I wiped the car down using Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash with Carnauba.

Step 1 - Decontaminated using the Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Foam Pad – 6 inch.

Step 2 - Machine Polish using Rupes Duetto Orbital Polisher with Rupes Yellow Foam Polishing Pad and Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish

Step 3 - Re-Cleaned paint to remove polishing oils using Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish

Step 4 - Applied Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Step 5 - Sealed tires with TUF Shine Tire Clearcoat

On Autogeek

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish

Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Foam Pad – 6 inch

Rupes Duetto Orbital Polisher

Rupes Yellow Foam Polishing Pad

Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish

Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash with Carnauba

TUF Shine Tire Clearcoat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?

That's the maximum of that statement 'Better than New'!

I plan to translate your text to my own language and use it to educate costumers. If you agree, of course.

Thank you for that,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many people know about the "born on" date printed on the VIN lable in the door jam. Those who buy a new car might be surprised to see that their new vehicle isn't so new. Even a car that sells pretty quickly won't hit a dealer lot until a month or more after production. Foreign makes that are shipped from abroad take even longer. My new VW was three months old by the time it hit the dealer lot.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing and beautiful Merc. I just picked up my '14 Audi RS5, and unfortunately it is snowing and a lot of salt on the roads here in Ohio. It was manufactured in Germany 2 months ago. I took the recommendation here for the "no wash" sign at the dealer, and basically drove it home in the snow! Any word of advice...it is hard to leave it alone while it looks sooooo dirty with the road salt covering it.

Before (after unwrapping):
    How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?-rs5-before-jpg

After drive home:
    How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?-rs5-after-jpg

My plan of attack:

Wash (Duragloss wash), clay (Meg's clay with UWW+), polish (Meg's Ultimate polish), and seal (Adam's new liquid paint sealant) once the weather breaks. Any advice/tips on my choice of products? Thanks and keep up the great work Mike and AG team!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up! That question leads many people to this forum, including myself. I fowarded this to my brother in law who just purchased a brand new truck. I hope his ego doesn't cause him to destroy his paint. Oh well, I did my part...

Post Thanks / Like

i plan on buying a brand new tacoma in the next year or so, i already plan on getting it in the summer time so that as soon as i get it i can bring it home do a full decontamination (using TRIX and nanoskin fine grade mitt) and then seal with 3 coats of klasse and then a coat of wax over that, (not sure what wax im going to use it depends on what mood i am in as well as wind direction), and then i will pressure wash and rinse the undercarriage and coat every square inch with fluid film...my goal is to have it still look brand new 10 years after i drive away from the dealer with it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post

Thanks for sharing and beautiful Merc. I just picked up my '14 Audi RS5, and unfortunately it is snowing and a lot of salt on the roads here in Ohio.
    That's like the worst thing to put a new car through... maybe find a touchless car wash that offers undercarriage washing and become a regular customer?

It was manufactured in Germany 2 months ago.

I took the recommendation here for the "no wash" sign at the dealer, and basically drove it home in the snow!

That was smart... most newer Audi's have very hard paint and that means getting any Dealer Installed Swirls will be very difficult AND time consuming plus the paint will be thinner afterwards and it's all for nothing.

See this article,

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive

And for those reading this into the future wondering what he means by the "no wash" sign, check out this article and do the same.

DON'T WASH CAR !!!!!!!!!!!

Subtitle: How to prevent your car dealership from putting swirls and scratches into your car's paint!

Any word of advice...it is hard to leave it alone while it looks sooooo dirty with the road salt covering it.

After drive home:
    How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?-rs5-after-jpg

Ouch!

That looks like a recipe for scratches in the paint. I'd look for a Do-It-Yourself car wash with the high pressure sprayers and try to blast that stuff off wit water pressure versus pushing anything like a mitt, sponge or brush against it.

My plan of attack:

Wash (Duragloss wash), clay (Meg's clay with UWW+), polish (Meg's Ultimate polish), and seal (Adam's new liquid paint sealant) once the weather breaks. Any advice/tips on my choice of products?
    After you get her all clean again, test the claying step to make sure you're not leaving any light clay haze or marring. Just to find out.

Next, test the Ultimate Polish by doing a Test Spot. Make sure you can make the paint look GREAT with your polish, pad and technique before buffing out the entire car.
    (that would be a huge mistake if you don't prove your system first).

I don't know anything about Adam's anything so you're on your own but if this car were mind I would look at any of the reputable coatings versus a wax or sealant UNLESS you like to wax your car often and then go with a real nice Carnauba Paste Wax like Pinnacle Souveran.

Back in Black! 1969 GTO!!!

This is Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

Thanks and keep up the great work Mike and AG team!
    Everyone here gives 100% every hour of every day. It's what's expected and it's what is delivered.

Mike Phillips

I just picked up my '14 Audi RS5

Just to note, I have a black 2014 Audi Q5 Crossover this week for a full detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is a beautiful brown/bronze color on that 'Benz!!

Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pointers..as I didn't want to threadjack.

You have always been cool to forum members, and although I don't post much here, I have full respect for what you do for the community! Much appreciated and keep up the phenomenal work!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast