autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

What is Iron X and why should I use it?

What is Iron X and why should I use it?

What is Iron X?
    Iron X is a product used to chemically remove iron particles off your car by dissolving the particles.

Why should I use it?
    Chemically decontaminating the paint with a product like Iron X is part of a proper detail job especially when working on an older car that is parked outside.

Mechanically decontaminating the paint can remove some iron contamination as you are physically rubbing something against the paint, tools like detailing clay or products from Nanoskin and Optimum Polymer Technologies. These options are no where near as effective and thorough as chemically removing the iron contamination.

Car Insurance Analogy
    Using Iron X is like buying car insurance. While you never want to actually have to need to use car insurance you certainly appreciate having when its is needed.

When you use Iron X you don't' actually want to see the bleeding effect as this means your car is contaminated and contamination means deterioration has been taking place. That's not a good thing. It's better to use it and see nothing as that means your car was not contaminated. That's a good thing.

If your car is contaminated then Iron X is the first step in a two step process to decontaminate the paint and properly prepare the paint for machine or hand polishing.

My buddy Jay detailed this car for his sister after she bought it from the original owner.

The original owner parked it next to a sprinkler that covered the car with heavy iron contaminated water for years.

Look closely.... it's not just the paint that is bleeding it's also the glass and plastic surfaces which are bleeding red. This is a sign of extreme iron contamination.

On Autogeek.net

Iron X 500 ml

Mike Phillips

Re: What is Iron X and why should I use it?

The normal order to use Iron X

This is how I use Iron X. You can modify this approach to suit your own tastes.

1. Spray car down with Iron X and let it dwell for a few minutes but not long enough to dry on the car.

2. Foam car using foam gun

3. Wash car using microfiber chenille wash mitt and assoted brushes.

4. After rinsing thoroughly, mechanically decontaminate the paint using products intended for this step by Nanoskin or Optimum Polymer Technologies.

5. Rinse car thoroughly.

6. Dry car.

The above is how I wash a car before I'm going to machine buff the paint. Each step is crucial to a proper detail.

Just to note, I always wash the wheels and tires first and then wash the car. To see my approach for washing the wheels on any car see this article.

How to wash Ferrari Wheels and Tires

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Mike. IronX is a great product!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I like Mike's recommended sequence of application. Iron X, let it dwell a little, foam gun, wash and rinse well then nanoskin. Looks like a time saver step for me and might possibly enhance the effectiveness of the chemical interaction of the Iron X.

Compared to the sequence i was doing...foam gun wash, rinse, iron X (as a seperate step after the wash) then clay/nanoskin this new sequence can hasten the time it takes me to get to dessert i.e. machine buffing!

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Mike. I have used Iron-x and like you I believe it to be an integral part of the detail process. I have one question, your sequence of steps indicates spraying the whole car down then spray before washing. The instructions indicate letting it dwell for 3-5 minutes before rinsing and not to let dry. My question is, I have a full size pick-up and I live in Phoenix, AZ, not sure I can spray the whole truck in 3-5 minutes, before the first sections dry. what to do? To be safe, I have done it by section, rinsing each section between 3-5 minutes, am I being over cautious?
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post

Great write up Mike. I have used Iron-x and like you I believe it to be an integral part of the detail process.

Just to make sure there's no confusion with other people that will read this into the future,

I wrote,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

1. Spray car down with Iron X and let it dwell for a few minutes but not long enough to dry on the car.

2. Foam car using foam gun

3. Wash car using microfiber chenille wash mitt and assoted brushes.

4. After rinsing thoroughly, mechanically decontaminate the paint using products intended for this step by Nanoskin or Optimum Polymer Technologies.

5. Rinse car thoroughly.

6. Dry car.

So just so I'm clear, I've only had one cup of coffee so far this morning),

I have one question, your sequence of steps indicates,

spraying the whole car down <-- with Iron X

then spray before washing. <-- with DP's Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo.

So my two times of spraying the car down is with two different products. Not spraying the car down twice with Iron X.

That's what I meant. Is that what you thought I meant?

The instructions indicate letting it dwell for 3-5 minutes before rinsing and not to let dry.
    Correct. I wrote a few minutes instead of 3-4 because it's all close enough to be good. The big picture is the manufacturer recommends not leting the product dry on the paint so the dwell time is probably fluid depending upon surrounding climate.

My question is, I have a full size pick-up and I live in Phoenix, AZ, not sure I can spray the whole truck in 3-5 minutes, before the first sections dry. what to do?
    Buy a smaller truck? (just kidding)

To be safe, I have done it by section, rinsing each section between 3-5 minutes, am I being over cautious?
    I have the same problem here in Stuart, Florida. That is it's often times windy and the air moving over the car tends to dry the Iron X faster than no wind. It can also be warm to hot out even through the winter so the heat tends to cause the Iron X to dry faster than I like.

What I do for smaller vehicles is hustle and do the car all at once.

For larger rigs like my own truck, a full size 1987 Silverado, I break the truck up into sections.

Make sense?

Good questions, happy to do my best to clarify...

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Those pictures in post #1 are INSANE! They illustrate why Iron X is an important product to have.
    I also like the TRIX, Tar and Iron remover spray.

Thank you for the post.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

just to clarify, are you spraying Iron X onto a dry surface or something that might already be wet, especially if you are doing this after cleaning the wheels. Just want to make sure I understand correctly.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast