autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

The majority of cars being manufactured today and starting since the 1980's use what's called a basecoat/clearcoat paint system. With this system, a clear layer of paint is sprayed over the top of the basecoat which is also the color coat or the layer of paint that has pigment in it. If the car has a metallic finish then the metallic flakes are also in the basecoat.

The basecoat doesn't offer any gloss or shine and in fact it's dull or matte looking after it's sprayed. The basecoat gets it's gloss, shine, depth and reflectivity by the spraying of the clearcoat layer of paint over the top of it. This is why if a person removes too much clearcoat when buffing and they expose the basecoat it will appear to be a dull round or oval spot on a body panel. The part of the paint system that adds beauty has been removed revealing the dull or matte basecoat layer of paint.

Hi Mike,
    I wish I read this sooner than later!
    I posted a thread on the form Ask Mike, about my clear coat I sprayed on my truck after painting the base coat. The Clear Coat did not apply clear, but had a matted look...is that because it was sprayed from a spray can? I purchased the CC and BC from Automotivetouchup.

And yes, the factory CC is very thin, I had a spot where I used 2,000 grit and accidentally went down to the primer!
    Keeping the Shiny side up and Shinning, and the Rubber side down and Sticky!
    Aloha!
    Woody

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post

The Clear Coat did not apply clear, but had a matted look...

is that because it was sprayed from a spray can?

Hard for me to say?

Maybe go back and talk to the people at the company that sold you the paint. In fact, drive your truck and show them.

I know some people have successfully sprayed basecoat/clearcoat paints from spray cans obtained from PBE stores and had good luck. There's a lot of factors that go into getting a great paint job from a spray can or any method.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am an amateur .....Ive been chasing scratches on my 2012 Corvette with Trizact 5000 Discs using the soft interface
    on my Porter Cable 7424XP.....

Previously I had been using a 3" Lake Country MF Pad and Meg's 100

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post

I am an amateur .....Ive been chasing scratches on my 2012 Corvette with Trizact 5000 Discs using the soft interface
    on my Porter Cable 7424XP.....
    When it comes to sanding, 3M Trizact #5000 is about as NON aggressive as you can get.

Can't count how many Corvette owners I've met that ask me how to remove the orange peel out of the paint on their Corvette. Most don't have the skill or patience to wetsand their car. Most also don't own the right tools to do the sanding and then have the right tools, pads and products to remove the sanding marks.

IF a person is serious about removing or better, reducing the level of orange peel out of a FACTORY finish, then using a technique I call Scuff & Buff is the safe approach.

Quote Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post

Previously I had been using a 3" Lake Country MF Pad and Meg's 100
    Yeah.... just buffing can remove orange peel but it's the least effective way to do it. I have a picture showing that I've done it from around 1990 back in Albany, Oregon.

This is 1958 Chevrolet Bel Air that I compounded heavily from the center chrome trim up including the hood, roof and deck-lid. The owner didn't want to spend any more than $300.00 so wet-sanding was out off the table.

The pictures don't show the results as well as looking at the results in person but you could definitely see there was less orange peel on all the paint above the long stainless steel trim running down the car and the paint below the trim.

Close-up, cropped out section...

For removing orange peel by machine you MUST use sanding discs without foam backing or very little foam backing. Anytime you introduce "cushion" you enable the abrasives to sand into the valleys. You don't want this. What you want is to only sand off the hilltops.

Try 3M Trizact on a backing plate without the interface.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tons of great and accurate information here. 3 years ago I passed a paint manufacturers certification test with 2.2 mils on my panel. That was with a good quality clear. The cheap $50 a gallon clears that a lot of body shops who do work for used car lots won’t even get that much build.

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by T4R View Post

Tons of great and accurate information here.

3 years ago I passed a paint manufacturers certification test with 2.2 mils on my panel.

That was with a good quality clear.

The cheap $50 a gallon clears that a lot of body shops who do work for used car lots won’t even get that much build.

Wow!

That's interesting.

Thank you for sharing.

:bow:

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast