autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yes.

If a car's finish is in "good shape", which is a relative word. Then use an iron remover or a fallout remover and then rinse it off the car. Then after thoroughly washing AND thoroughly rinsing, then LIGHTLY use a Nanoskin towel or mitt to mechanically decontaminate the horizontal panels. Follow with polishing and sealing.

That depends on how much loose dirt is on the car. There's a huge difference between washing a car that is garage kept and hardly driven and a daily driver driven everyday and always parked outside.

thanks mike wish i read your reply's before i did the wash lol. heres what i was going to post can you see what you think if you have time?

i just did the aggressive wash with one change. i used griots garage paint prep before the final rinse. i have a black car so its def clean but it left more swirls then i expected. i dont know if it was from the eagle one wash mitt or just because everything is totally stripped off? i know i can get it out but im going to have to use something a little stronger. i would have bought the correction cream or a swirl remover if i knew it wouod be this many swirls.

im not worried about it but i can only use what i have on hand. i have ultimate compound but i would rather not strip any more clear then i have to. just because i have no idea how thick it is and i have already compounded it in the past with m101 and a microfiber pad. what do you guys think on that i have heard that ultimate compound is actually pretty mild i would be using it with an orange correction pad from gg.

other then that on hand i have

scratchx 2.0
    m205
    ultimate polish
    advanced finishing polish pinnacle
    hd polish
    wolfgang finishing 3.0

i was actually thinking of using the wolfgang or the hd stuff with a correction pad first to see how that does, then sf 3800 or the rupes ultra fine to finish...

what would you guys do?

i have a g15 being delivered today god willing i will be polishing tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

i haven't seen it look this bad, my cars flat glossy black no flake you can see a lot of swirls on the side the sun is hitting. it looks good on the other side. ill be putting it in the garage soon. any advice? i still have the m101 by the way

Post Thanks / Like

Were those swirls previously removed? It could be that you are seeing marring from the clay mitt and also washing induced defects from previous washes. I agree with Mike on polishing after using this wash method as the clay alternative can marr the surface.

Test spot will give you the best results. Give M205 and polishing pad a go and adjust from there. Any of those polishes will be a good place to start. You could also use ultimate compound if you have to on a polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Were those swirls previously removed? It could be that you are seeing marring from the clay mitt and also washing induced defects from previous washes. I agree with Mike on polishing after using this wash method as the clay alternative can marr the surface.

Test spot will give you the best results. Give M205 and polishing pad a go and adjust from there. Any of those polishes will be a good place to start. You could also use ultimate compound if you have to on a polishing pad.
    i dont know to be honest you could not see them before i washed the car. maybe a few but no where near as bad as now. the problem with the test spot is i can only see these swirls in direct sunlight and i mean direct it has to be right on them. i can't duplicate that lighting in my garage unfortunately.

ya i thought i had it pretty swirl free before i stripped it down. im just hoping i didnt go to far through the clear coat during previous polishing. i only used meguiars foam cut compound once on a microfiber finishing pad and ultimate compound on a foam pad once or twice. i just wish i would have gotten a medium cut polish or been more careful with the washing. o well im polishing tomorrow all day. today was the prep day, ill let you know how it goes.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

but it left more swirls then i expected. i dont know if it was from the eagle one wash mitt or just because everything is totally stripped off?
    My guess would be the Eagle One Wash Mitt.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

i know i can get it out but im going to have to use something a little stronger. i would have bought the correction cream or a swirl remover if i knew it wouod be this many swirls.

im not worried about it but i can only use what i have on hand. i have ultimate compound but i would rather not strip any more clear then i have to.

other then that on hand i have

scratchx 2.0
    m205
    ultimate polish
    advanced finishing polish pinnacle
    hd polish
    wolfgang finishing 3.0

i was actually thinking of using the wolfgang or the hd stuff with a correction pad first to see how that does, then sf 3800 or the rupes ultra fine to finish...

what would you guys do?

i have a g15 being delivered today god willing i will be polishing tomorrow

I'd do like you're thinking, test one of these with a foam polishing pad,

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
    HD Polish
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze - this is actually a fine cut polish not a glaze.

If that doesn't get the swirls out then use the Ultimate Compound or the M101. Only buff till the defects are out and then stop and move onto one of the above polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

HD Polish

If that doesn't get the swirls out then use the Ultimate Compound or the M101. Only buff till the defects are out and then stop and move onto one of the above polishes.

thanks mike, i actually "did it" (still doing it) with the boss correction cream they sent me with the polisher then finishing with rupes diamond gel. i only did the hood so far and it came out real good. what clay mitt do you guys use? i knew it was that i had a feeling, i had tons of lube but i could kinda tell it was from that. i was rubbing to hard i bet. im pretty strong with tools and overall im known to use to much force even at work.

what would you recommend for my front wheel well panel that has a lot of curves? i can either use the g15 with the innerflex pad or the gg6 with a 5" pad and 3.5" backing plate.u think the forced rotation is better for those curved panels?

Post Thanks / Like

HD Polish

also just for the record its the eagle one mitt (most likely) plus swirls that ive built up over time since my last polish about 6 months ago. i noticed a dull grey look on the seams of the hood too. it was about ten degrees colder then what they recommend to use the mitt at so maybe that has something to do with it.

ill see if i can get a picture, the paint feels really rough before i polished it.. im not sure if that's normal? i never noticed it before anytime. its even hard to drag a towel across it. maybe from the ironx i hope and not a bigger problem. everyone says im going to polish the paint off it they might be right lol.

Post Thanks / Like

im getting great results with the g15 and then the gg6 set up with three inch pads thanks for all the help

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to note is to break a clay alternative onto the glass prior to using it on paint. Not a lot of pressure is needed when using one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    One thing to note is to break a clay alternative onto the glass prior to using it on paint. Not a lot of pressure is needed when using one.
    good point i saw mike do it to i just didnt put two and two together for the mitt. im not going to be using the cheap one again. my details going great though almost done with the polishing just giving the back a break. that griots correcting cream on the orange pad is wiping out everything it touches. im glad they sent it free with the polisher its just what i needed

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast