autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car

Quote Originally Posted by RedXray View Post
    Thanks Mike

Just ordered the half gallon AG branded foam gun along with a gallon of HoneyDew snow foam shampoo. Then I had to have a new mitt and another supreme guzzler

Cool. I think you're really going to like it and it will give the neighbors one more reason to think you're a tick on the OCD side of car detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff, thanks Mike.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

This was a great series of posts from everyone. Strangely, I learned more in reading this thread than I thought I would. What could be so complex about washing the car?!

On that note, I've always wondered why we foam and also 2bw a car as opposed to one or the other.

Thanks for all the tips!

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Cool. I think you're really going to like it and it will give the neighbors one more reason to think you're a tick on the OCD side of car detailing.

Worked really well Mike!

Did my annual lite correction over the weekend so the truck wasn't very dirty (driven 25 to 30 miles). The AG foam gun performed great on the large orifice setting with 5 oz of Honeydew Snow Foam and warm water in the half gallon reservoir.

I was able to pre-soak, then chase with the wash mitt as I sprayed the foam. Still had a 1/4 cup left after washing a full size pickup, so I'll be able to adjust the product usage. Sure beats lugging around two heavy 5 gal buckets (like Mike I'm also a right transfemoral amputee). The wash went fast didn't even break a sweat!

After I fully rinsed the truck there was snow on the ground in August... had to grab the camera

Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post

This was a great series of posts from everyone.

Strangely, I learned more in reading this thread than I thought I would. What could be so complex about washing the car?!
    Strange how this happens on this forum?

On that note, I've always wondered why we foam and also 2bw a car as opposed to one or the other.
    Not sure about other guys but for me, when I use the foam gun I never get out a bucket.

The key to using a foam gun without a bucket is as simple as getting your wash mitt wet FIRST before foaming the car. As long as you do this you're good to go.

Thanks for all the tips!

And this is what a good thread is all about...

Post Thanks / Like

I get foaming the car, and softening the wash mitts. What I don't get is how you substitute the rinsing of the mitt to get picked up dirt off. Do u just do the whole car with one mitt and load it up without any rinsing? For both the aggressive as well as gentle approach? Since you said you always use foam gun and no buckets on your cars?

Post Thanks / Like

He's got a few wash mitts up on the windshield. I assume that's for his multiple helpers as well as for a demonstration that multiple mitts are needed.

(Sent via my mobile device)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by larry33 View Post

I get foaming the car, and softening the wash mitts.

What I don't get is how you substitute the rinsing of the mitt to get picked up dirt off.

Do u just do the whole car with one mitt and load it up without any rinsing?

For both the aggressive as well as gentle approach? Since you said you always use foam gun and no buckets on your cars?

Great questions.....

If doing the aggressive approach and the car is REALLY dirty then "yes" have either multiple mitts or drag out at least one bucket and fill with water to rinse off the mitt fast and easy as you work around the car. If the car is not too dirty then for the aggressive approach I just use one mitt. If I'm washing a neglected car then I'm already planning on compounding it.

For the gentle approach - at least for me and my cars - they don't get that dirty. And they wash up fast and easy. I keep a coating on the SL500 and my truck sits so high off the ground with 40" tall tires that it doesn't get a lot of dirt on the body panels.

But for others... you can use the sprayer to spray off your mitt, simply detach from the foam gun and spray off gathered dirt. Or have bucket to swish your mitt into, use a Grit Guard Insert as a good option. Or have multiple mitts.

He's got a few wash mitts up on the windshield.

I assume that's for his multiple helpers as well as for a demonstration that multiple mitts are needed.

Exactly...

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used Iron X but think I'm going to add it to my next order, when using it do you rinse after spraying the iron x or do you apply Iron X and then use the foam gun followed up my a rinse?

Post Thanks / Like

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be working on a car that has probably not seen wax since 2002.....this 'aggressive' approach will most likely be the one I will use....will be the first one where I put up the before and after shots

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast