autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Dr. Color Chip is an excellent product. I've used it on my Obsidian Black Infiniti with great results. Easy to use. Just watch Mike's videos first.

Mike Phillips

3. Thanks jasetheace thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the Dr Colorchip 4 separate times now, 2 on my own vehicles and 2 on a customer's. I wanted to incorporate this more into the business, but it seems like it takes so much longer to clean up afterwards than it makes out to be. What I expected to take 30 minutes ends up taking 2 hours. Every single spot seems to take 5-10 minutes just to clean up with the SealAct. I have patience, and I can eventually get it all off, from all the videos on it, it seems like it should be faster. I'm already putting more than the quarter sized spot of SealAct on the cloth, and I'm trying not to put much pressure and keeping my hand flat to keep the pressure spread out. I have a lot of road rash on my bumper and tried out the big squeegee method, using the dropper to spread a line of paint and it looked great, but I only did about a 10x10 area and it took me over a half hour to clean it all off. I probably only let it sit for about 5 minutes based on my past experiences, hoping it'll be easier to remove if I don't let it sit for too long. But it didn't seem any easier.

Does this seem about average when everyone else uses it, or any recommendations? I've tried smearing it as thin as possible but it dries pretty fast and leaves some high spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

WOW! The pictures look so surreal. I sure wish you lived closer Mike. Amazing!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    I have a lot of road rash on my bumper and tried out the big squeegee method, using the dropper to spread a line of paint and it looked great, but I only did about a 10x10 area and it took me over a half hour to clean it all off. I probably only let it sit for about 5 minutes based on my past experiences, hoping it'll be easier to remove if I don't let it sit for too long. .
    Wow! A 10x10 area? I have been working on over 100 rock chips on my motorcycle's fairing with the DC product and if I fill the chip above flush (called proud in some situations) I can dramatically reduce the amount of time wiping/rubbing the blending solution if I very carefully scrape the highest part off with a sharp knife.

Mike Phillips

To AuroraDetailing,

Apoligies I just now found your post from dang near a YEAR ago. Time stamp = 05-22-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post

I've tried the Dr Colorchip 4 separate times now, 2 on my own vehicles and 2 on a customer's. I wanted to incorporate this more into the business, but it seems like it takes so much longer to clean up afterwards than it makes out to be. What I expected to take 30 minutes ends up taking 2 hours.

Every single spot seems to take 5-10 minutes just to clean up with the SealAct. I have patience, and I can eventually get it all off, from all the videos on it, it seems like it should be faster.

I'm already putting more than the quarter sized spot of SealAct on the cloth, and I'm trying not to put much pressure and keeping my hand flat to keep the pressure spread out.

I have a lot of road rash on my bumper and tried out the big squeegee method, using the dropper to spread a line of paint and it looked great, but I only did about a 10x10 area and it took me over a half hour to clean it all off. I probably only let it sit for about 5 minutes based on my past experiences, hoping it'll be easier to remove if I don't let it sit for too long. But it didn't seem any easier.

Does this seem about average when everyone else uses it, or any recommendations? I've tried smearing it as thin as possible but it dries pretty fast and leaves some high spots.
    All I can say is the only way to get good and fast, (that's two things), is via lots of practice.

I'll be honest, I don't do it often enough be be both good and fast. I can usually nail the "good".

Quote Originally Posted by whoRyou View Post

WOW! The pictures look so surreal. I sure wish you lived closer Mike. Amazing!
    Thank you. I think most of those pictures I either took myself or Nick Rutter took them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Corkster52 View Post

Wow! A 10x10 area?

I have been working on over 100 rock chips on my motorcycle's fairing with the DC product and if I fill the chip above flush (called proud in some situations) I can dramatically reduce the amount of time wiping/rubbing the blending solution if I very carefully scrape the highest part off with a sharp knife.

Wow! A sharp knife?

Mike Phillips

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567