autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Mike,

Thank you for the detailed how to on the Dr. ColorChip system.

I recently evaluated a clients vehicle and found numerous rock chips around the car , from tiny to kind of large rock chips. The issue is that, there is rust on the metal.

How would you clean and prep the area to be touched up? IronX? 2000 grit wet dry sandpaper on a pencil eraser? Then clean with IPA? And proceed as usual?

I see that you mentioned to first polish the vehicle before performing chip repairs.. Will the chips affect or harm the polishing pads at all?

You mentioned your experience at Meguiar's where the bill was 60-75$. Since I will be ordering a ColorChip package and they normally are ~50$, how do I base the cost of work ontop of that 50$? Would I charge them for the cost of the supplies since it's dedicated to their vehicle, and keep the color for possible future same color cars?

Thank you!
    Stephan

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans05 View Post

Mike,

Thank you for the detailed how to on the Dr. ColorChip system.

I recently evaluated a clients vehicle and found numerous rock chips around the car , from tiny to kind of large rock chips. The issue is that, there is rust on the metal.

How would you clean and prep the area to be touched up? IronX? 2000 grit wet dry sandpaper on a pencil eraser? Then clean with IPA? And proceed as usual?
    Yes to all of the above but keep in mind if you use Iron X be sure to rinse very thoroughly after using it and chances are as the bare metal dries a little rust flashing will return so you'll still have to remove this trace rust before applying the touch-up paint.

I see that you mentioned to first polish the vehicle before performing chip repairs.. Will the chips affect or harm the polishing pads at all?
    Nope... not even an issue...

You mentioned your experience at Meguiar's where the bill was 60-75$. Since I will be ordering a ColorChip package and they normally are ~50$, how do I base the cost of work on top of that 50$? Would I charge them for the cost of the supplies since it's dedicated to their vehicle, and keep the color for possible future same color cars?

Thank you!
    Stephan

Two ways to go about this...

1. Make the customer order and get their own Dr. ColorChip repair kit. The cost incurred is their cost and part of owning a rock chip free car. This is the best approach.

2. Start a dedicated business doing rock chip repair and purchase the business start up kit from Dr. ColorChip. Check with Dr. ColorChip about this option.

When I do this, and I have two cars coming up, I simply share the website with the customer and tell them to get the kit for their paint code on their car.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see that this system isn't just a gimmick, and that it actually works. I just ordered a kit today. Thanks for the writeup.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone. Newb here. Sorry to bring up an old thread, but, I have a question about layering Dr. Colorchip.

When you layer, do you do the entire process (paint, dry, wipe, repeat as necessary) or are you applying multiple layers and then wiping at the end?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, just a follow up, crazy how it's a year later...

Thank you for posting the Dr. Color Chip videos on You Tube! They have helped a lot and I will check to see about their mobile detailer package!

Stephan

Post Thanks / Like

Does AG sell the commercial kits or just the DYI ones?

Mike Phillips

Sorry I just found these posts...

Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post

Nice to see that this system isn't just a gimmick, and that it actually works. I just ordered a kit today. Thanks for the writeup.
    You're welcome. How did it go for you?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPilot View Post

Hey everyone. Newb here. Sorry to bring up an old thread, but, I have a question about layering Dr. Colorchip.

When you layer, do you do the entire process (paint, dry, wipe, repeat as necessary) or are you applying multiple layers and then wiping at the end?
    You would apply multiple layers until you were happy and then do the wiping process.

8. Likes 6od liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post

Does AG sell the commercial kits or just the DYI ones?

Long time no see you post AeroCleanse... nice to see you back.

The answer is at this time we only offer the Do-it-Yourselfer Kits.

On Autogeek.com

Dr. ColorChip Road Rash Complete Paint Chip Repair Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any tips for using the system on curved panels? I found this video on YouTube, but it's really short and doesn't show the final result. The chips on my car are nowhere as large, about 1/2" in length, and are on the wheel arches and another where the fuel filler curves into the recess of the body like the previous owner nicked it with the pump nozzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50CmCujhRjI

I guess what I'm asking is if there's maybe a benefit to letting the paint set longer so it's harder or techniques to not pull all the paint out of the chip when wiping with the blending solution. I have the kit in my possession and am going to do the touch up soon.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by icehole2001 View Post

Are there any tips for using the system on curved panels? I found this video on YouTube, but it's really short and doesn't show the final result. The chips on my car are nowhere as large, about 1/2" in length, and are on the wheel arches and another where the fuel filler curves into the recess of the body like the previous owner nicked it with the pump nozzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50CmCujhRjI

I guess what I'm asking is if there's maybe a benefit to letting the paint set longer so it's harder or techniques to not pull all the paint out of the chip when wiping with the blending solution. I have the kit in my possession and am going to do the touch up soon.

Thanks in advance!

You can let the paint dry longer, it won't cause problems.

You can use the Sealact to remove the paint it's just the longer it dries the more you'll have to rub and the more Sealact you'll have to use.

You could let the paint dry for a couple of days if you want.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast