autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

So mike, for a large paint chip(a little smaller than a thumb), is dr colorchip worth the extra price than just a bottle of touchup paint? Considering all you do is fill it up and don't use any sealact.

Here's a picture of the paint chip where my friend had the garage door shut on the car - it's supposed to stop if anything is in the way but I guess it didn't

Mike Phillips

Re: How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Quote Originally Posted by binly View Post

So mike, for a large paint chip(a little smaller than a thumb), is dr colorchip worth the extra price than just a bottle of touchup paint? Considering all you do is fill it up and don't use any sealact.

Great question and let me answer it with something I already shared in post #17 of this thread... it's the BIG picture viewpoint that takes into consideration that you're going to get more chips in the future assuming your car is a daily driver...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Chances are if the car you're working on is a a DAILY DRIVER, that is you drive it to work every day, then chances are very good you're going to get more rock chips in the future.

If you want to make them go away visually, then you need a "system" that is fast and easy.

This system is fast and easy and Dr. ColorChip does a great job of providing touch-up paint that matches the color of your car's paint.

So it's up to you whether or not you get the Dr. ColorChip kit for this specific blemish in your car's finish.

If you have other rock chips to fill in or for future rock chips, then it's a good product.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding write up Mike!

With the pictures and written explanations, you've answered a lot of questions I've (probably many others also) had for some time.

Thanx!

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Outstanding write up Mike!

With the pictures and written explanations, you've answered a lot of questions I've (probably many others also) had for some time.

Thanx!

Bill

Thanks Bill...

Rock Chip and scratch repair has to be one of the top 10 topics the average car owner is always looking for help with and anything to make the process faster, easier and more Bubba-proof is a winner in my book.

I talked to Bill McLean, one of the owners last Friday and he says their new system is even better so I'm going to get the new products down here and test them out and post a new thread showcasing these new items.

Mike Phillips

Here's Mitch's Mustang at this weekends Cars & Coffee....

2003 Mustang Mach 1
    Here's my friend Mitch's 2003 Mustang. This is the Mustang Mitch and I worked on for the Dr. ColorChip Rock Chip Repair article here,

Where's the rock chips?

Check out all the Cars & Coffee pictures here,

Pictures: 5th Autogeek Cars & Coffee with Dennis Gage

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question. I understand the idea of "detailing" prior to using the Dr. Colorchip to start with a clean surface (and to avoid disrupting the fixed paint chip repaired area by polishing with a machine, etc...), but how long after using the Colorchip system till covering with a paint protectant (wax or sealer)? If I polish the car prior to paint chip repair, then wait a week or so to apply any paint protection will the polishing need to be repeated anyway. Since this is for mine and my wifes' cars I was thinking it might be best to use the paint chip repair first, then wait a week to detail (clay, polish, sealant). Any advice?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,
    Do you think DCC would work on scratches like in the attached photos? Thank you very much for your opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

03me.... This is probably over kill, I waited 30 days with car in the hot sun. Then i polish and wax..

If you do the touch up paint after you polished your ride, you will introduce a few swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybird View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Do you think DCC would work on scratches like in the attached photos? Thank you very much for your opinion.

The bottom picture looks like the car has a paint protection film. Is the scratch on or through the PPF?
    -Aaron
    '15 Subaru WRX STi LE | '12 Chevrolet Cruze

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX323 View Post
    The bottom picture looks like the car has a paint protection film. Is the scratch on or through the PPF?
    I believe some are through and some are on. Do you think DCC will work?

Thanks.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast