autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Glass polishing - How to remove scratches in glass

Quote Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
    Can anyone answer this question for me?

You know, I could swear I typed out an answer for you and hit the [Submit Reply] button?

As to your question, as far as I know and in all my years of detailing cars I've never come across a car with any type of factory applied coating to the glass and specifically the windshield.

"we" as detailers apply glass coatings like we apply paint coatings to paint but these would abrade off easily with a cerium oxide based glass polish to the point that they would not be an issue.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Docjunaid View Post
    @ Mike

CarPro - Ceri-Glass Kit | Glass Polishing Kit - Clean Your Car
    This kit comes with 2 x Felt Polishing Pads
    My question is can I use LC polishing pad with PC with this product ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't.

My experience with the Lake Country glass polishing discs with the CarPro Ceriglass Polish is they do not work well together and you risk putting scratches into the glass.

If it were me, at this time I would only use products mated for use together by a single manufacturer. That means use the CarPro Ceriglass glass polish with pads by CarPro.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Mike,

Can you please talk a bit about my question as well?

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    04-10-2014, 11:00 AM

[EDITED]

Awesome! Argentina put you in a good mood, but now you should come to Brazil! We are jealous (very!).

Some time ago I've read that polishing the glass with those abrasives may cause some kind of visual distortion.

Is it true, partially true, and what's needed to avoid removing scratches but adding distortion?

“Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I wouldn't. That means use the CarPro Ceriglass glass polish with pads by CarPro.
    Agree, and did just that. Used the rayon pads from CP. they are like $5 so why risk the glass? The results were astounding. On that first day it was like there was no glass there. Perfectly perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't.

My experience with the Lake Country glass polishing discs with the CarPro Ceriglass Polish is they do not work well together and you risk putting scratches into the glass.

If it were me, at this time I would only use products mated for use together by a single manufacturer. That means use the CarPro Ceriglass glass polish with pads by CarPro.

Thanks Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, I could swear I typed out an answer for you and hit the [Submit Reply] button?

As to your question, as far as I know and in all my years of detailing cars I've never come across a car with any type of factory applied coating to the glass and specifically the windshield.

"we" as detailers apply glass coatings like we apply paint coatings to paint but these would abrade off easily with a cerium oxide based glass polish to the point that they would not be an issue.

Thanks Mike. Just getting ready to polish some glass for the first time, and wanted to make sure I didn't do something stupid. The first time I refinished some headlights I failed to put any kind of coating on them afterwords, and a week later it was like I hadn't even touched them. Obviously that was a learning experience for me.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post

Some time ago I've read that polishing the glass with those abrasives may cause some kind of visual distortion.

Is it true, partially true, and what's needed to avoid removing scratches but adding distortion?

I'd say it's false whatever you heard from whoever?

Glas is VERY Hard. Machine polishing scratches out of glass takes a long time due to this hardness factor.

Abrading the glass enough to cause a visual distortion would take so long and you would have to remove so much glass that I would say the only way it could be done is if someone purposefully TRIED to do it just for the purpose of distorting the glass which would be ridiculous.

I'd say distorting the glass because you're going to remove topical scratches is the least of your worries.

Good question....

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have idea, how much could it be the cost for a customer removing scratches from glass in a sedan windshield? (scratches like the honda windshield in this post pics)

Post Thanks / Like

Is Rupes Bigfoot Polisher good to use instead of the Porter Cable DA that is used in this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by javip2k View Post
    Anyone have idea, how much could it be the cost for a customer removing scratches from glass in a sedan windshield? (scratches like the honda windshield in this post pics)
    I'm mostly "retired" from scratch removal biz, partly because I'm too busy doing chip repair, and partly because it's hard on the back and I don't need any more issues there.

I haven't done much with damage just like the car in this thread. I'm a looong way from beach sand lol.

Also, my perspective is from doing work for dealers, normally on a service customer/sold vehicle. I normally charged about $60-70/hr "shop rates" with an hour minimum. My advice is often that it's cheaper/better just to replace unless it's a high dollar piece of glass. Many windshields are only $125-150 for dealers here, so they usually prefer to put in a new one if the repair cost is in the same ballpark.

If the windshield is expensive, rare, etc... then it's a different story. I did a full wiper arc scratch on a brand new range rover one time. New glass was $1400 dealer cost, plus install. So I took the 2+ hours needed to make it 100% gone and charged accordingly.

It helps a lot if it's acceptable to polish out most of the damage, without it needing to be perfect. Often it takes more time to polish out the last 10% than it does the first 90%.

To answer your question, I tried to keep the cost in the $75-100 range, and avoid jobs that I didn't think I could do in about an hour. For me, that keeps everyone happy.

Retail work may be different. DIY work is definitely different...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast