autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass polishing - How to remove scratches in glass

Mike: Nice tips, thank you for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I tackled this today on my mothers IS250 and it is definitely physically taxing, getting that strong downward pressure all the way in the middle of the windshield can be difficult. Good news though, I got nearly ALL the wiper scratches out along with ALL the waterspots. I started around 6:30 and went until dark around 8. I stopped for the night, I'm going to do the edges of the windshield tomorrow and then apply CarPro FlyBy30-2014 and see how it does.

One tip I will pass along and re-iterate is definitely overuse the polish a bit, and also use more water than you think necessary, often times I would find the polish drying up and this leads to some small marring on the glass when you wipe it off. Had I done this from the outset I probably could have knocked the windshield out in an hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips Mike. And a +1 for the CarPro Ceriglass.

I've just recently had good results using this product with a purple synthetic wool pad, which for me was a little easier to use on a small quarter window.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post

Thanks, Mike! I can really see how a small misting bottle vs a 32oz spray bottle is an important detail not to be over looked.

Last night I read and re-read his tips while striving for the perfect water to product balance. Next time I'm using a misting bottle.

Thanks again, Mike (and Swanic)!

I obtained the idea of using the misting bottle from Nicholas @ Autowerx in one of his article and wrote this article in which I gave him credit as I don't ever steal other guys work without giving due credit where credit is due. I see my work copied around the web without due credit but that's on those guys heads.

Glass Polishing Water Spray Bottles at Autogeek

Sad to say, sometime after I wrote this article to share the bottles with our forum community the bottles were removed from the store...

I'm sure similar bottles can be found elsewhere if a person looks....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
    Mike, do windshields have any sort of protective coating thats going to be removed and should be replaced? I'm thinking of headlights, where most have some sort of UV coating from the factory, and after polishing them you need to seal them to keep them from rapidly deteriorating again. Do windshields also need to be sealed like this?

I know there are various water repelling agents that can be applied (RainX, while a terrible quality product, comes to mind), but I would think of those as sort of optional enhancers, rather than something necessary. I'm about to polish my windshield (some wiper scratches and micro pits to remove) and have been wondering if I need to purchase a sealer.

Can anyone answer this question for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think on most cars - glass is glass. But, if your working on something very expensive, you may want to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Glass Polishing Water Spray Bottles at Autogeek

Sad to say, sometime after I wrote this article to share the bottles with our forum community the bottles were removed from the store...

I'm sure similar bottles can be found elsewhere if a person looks....

I was planning on using the spritz bottle my Detailer's Pro Series Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner sample came in. So not only do I get to try out a great product, but I can reuse the bottle for additional glass cleaning = Win-Win!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
    Can anyone answer this question for me?
    I've worked on windshields for 20 years, rock chip repair and some polishing too, and a coated windshield would be news to me. Mike was correct... no coating on windshields. Maybe there is some side/back glass out there with something but I've done plenty of polishing on those too, and never seen any coating on the exterior of the glass.

And I've never seen a coating that lasts forever either....factory/dealer applied or otherwise. So even if there is something that was coated, it's not permanent. Wiper blades will remove anything over time. Btw, I have the optimum glass coating and it's pretty good stuff if you want a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Good knowledge.

Obviously this is a source of revenue for detailers, being able to offer this as an upcharge/add on service. Any ideas on what one should charge for this service? And would it be better for the client to just replace the windshield?
    davinciautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    @ Mike

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index....&productId=988
    This kit comes with 2 x Felt Polishing Pads
    My question is can I use LC polishing pad with PC with this product ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast