autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Label Coating Detailer & Booster - Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

This question falls somewhat under the PBL line - in the Stingray article you mention about using the paint coating on all panels then wiping off later. I've used the Surface coating and wiped the panel or area when done - is the paint coating used differently?
    2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Crystal White Pearl, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Oxford White Clearcoat.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn View Post
    This question falls somewhat under the PBL line - in the Stingray article you mention about using the paint coating on all panels then wiping off later. I've used the Surface coating and wiped the panel or area when done - is the paint coating used differently?

No. With both the Black Label Diamond Paint Coating and Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, the technique is to apply to a single panel, work in till the majority of it has disappeared and then wipe any high spots off before moving onto the next panel.

The reason for this technique is two-fold,

1. You want to wipe off any high spots which in reality are excess product, before it fully dries otherwise it can be difficult to remove.

2. Directions for LSP, no matter what type are usually written to ensure success by people of all skill levels, that way anyone on the low end of the skill level range will be insured success.

For me, I prefer to apply to the entire car and then simply give the entire car a final wipe at one time. This approach requires a tick more skill, not a lot but more skill and more focus than working panel by panel.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post

Thanks for explaining this Mike, I was having trouble understanding the utility of these products based on their description alone.

I might give the coating booster a shot

This is an interesting product and I've used it a lot. Here's what I've seen...

After washing and drying, there are usually very tiny water marks or water spots left on the paint. The Booster wont' remove these. The Detailer will.

This tells me the products work as advertised as there's simply no "cleaning" ability in the Booster but there is in the Detailer as it should be.

So after washing and drying, if I want to apply the Booster or the Surface Coating I first have to use the detailer to remove any residual water marks as neither of the other two products will do this, they seal them in instead.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased the PBL surface coating, cleaner, and shampoo for my new 2016 Camaro SS (first car I've owned that gave me the detailing bug, lol) and have been searching for info

1. Does this coating 'ruin' microfibers like cquartz? Or can one do the APC bucket method

2. I don't have the ability to do detailing indoors. My driveway has Blue Oaks constantly dripping pollen/sap, bugshit/honeydew. I planned on coating a panel at a time while under a pop-up awning as best I can. Do I have to worry about contaminants during dry/cure?

3. I didn't realize the need for synergy with a coating, but understand it now. Can one interchange other companies coating specific products/shampoo/detail/booster/ect ( I am not opposed to sticking with the PBL line but I have seen similar looking products for nano coatings that might be synergistic, cheaper) Specifically a shampoo and drying aid/detailer are what I'm after.

Thanks much for the info
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Label Coating Detailer & Booster - Synergistic Chemical Compatibility-wp_20160425_17_54_41_pro-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanyonCarver View Post
    I just purchased the PBL surface coating, cleaner, and shampoo for my new 2016 Camaro SS (first car I've owned that gave me the detailing bug, lol) and have been searching for info

1. Does this coating 'ruin' microfibers like cquartz? Or can one do the APC bucket method

2. I don't have the ability to do detailing indoors. My driveway has Blue Oaks constantly dripping pollen/sap, bugshit/honeydew. I planned on coating a panel at a time while under a pop-up awning as best I can. Do I have to worry about contaminants during dry/cure?

3. I didn't realize the need for synergy with a coating, but understand it now. Can one interchange other companies coating specific products/shampoo/detail/booster/ect ( I am not opposed to sticking with the PBL line but I have seen similar looking products for nano coatings that might be synergistic, cheaper) Specifically a shampoo and drying aid/detailer are what I'm after.

Thanks much for the info
    1) I haven't had any issues washing my microfibers and reusing them after using them with PBL coating.

2) That's a tough situation. Ideally, you want a clean work environment, the constant tree sap might be an issue.

3) I like the PBL coating booster. I used the shampoo and while it worked well, I thought it was very high priced. I normally use citrus wash or Carpro Reset on coated cars. The both clean very well and leave nothing behind that will interfere with the coating.

Can't wait to see the Camaro once you're finished 8-)
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I too have not had problems washing PBL coating out of microfiber (i drop the towels into a wash bucket when done with them though). By contrast, you aren't going to be able to do that with CQuartz, Blackfire or Wolfgang coatings!

<TED>

Post Thanks / Like

Thats good to hear. Thanks much for the info. I think I might have to try the RESET.

I drive ALOT(12,000 miles- bought car march 10 with 6 miles) to commute to work and because the car is so much fun. Constant battle with bug catcher front end. I also am dealing with etched water spots from my OTC sealant getting dew on it the next few days after application. I didnt notice at the time so I've had to buy a polisher, lol.

Thanks to the wealth of info I have a gameplan now at least

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tedj101 View Post
    FWIW, I too have not had problems washing PBL coating out of microfiber (i drop the towels into a wash bucket when done with them though). By contrast, you aren't going to be able to do that with CQuartz, Blackfire or Wolfgang coatings!

<TED>
    I applied WG Uber Ceramic on 3 of our cars, washed towels in washing machine immediately afterward still use them, haven't scratched/swirled anything using them

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read the product info pages for both the booster and detailer, but i don't get the difference. Also how often can each one be used after applying a coating? Once per week, every other week, etc?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FLG37 View Post

I've read the product info pages for both the booster and detailer, but i don't get the difference.

Also how often can each one be used after applying a coating? Once per week, every other week, etc?

The difference is VERY apparent when you use them if you pay attention to the paint.

The Detailer is water based and as such will remove those tiny little water droplet marks leftover when you wash and dry a car as well as work like ANY OTHER SPRAY DETAILER in that it will remove

Light dust
    Fingerprints
    Smudges

The Booster is solvent based and it won't remove ANYTHING. It is for a perfectly clean car, for example a car that is coated and AFTER you use the Detailer. It "boosts" the coating and restore that freshly coated look and performance.

I use both of these products on my wife's Mercedes-Benz which I keep coated with the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating.

This is the same type of question people ask about spray detailers and spray waxes and the age-old answer to that question is a spray detailer is for light cleaning to remove,

Light dust
    Fingerprints
    Smudges

A spray wax is for use to restore the gloss and shine AFTER either washing the car or AFTER using a spray detailer.

A spray wax is not for remove dirt, dust fingerprints and smudges and neither is the PBL Booster.

Make sense?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast