autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to wet sand a car - video

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

What are you working on?

Thanks much for the detailed answers--very helpful. I'll review those articles.

As far as what I'm working on, I'm just a DYI weekend guy sharpening skills and trying to learn. What I was currently researching was what process I wanted to use to clean up some headlights. This led to some of the sanding discussions. As I was making a list of sandpaper to purchase I ended up looking at some of the wet sanding articles and my thoughts were to make sure I was purchasing the right combination of different grit sandpaper to address any deep scratches I might have to tackle--at this time I don't have any needs/thoughts of totally wet sanding a vehicle. ...and the discussion of M100 caught my attention as well as I found myself feeling that I wasn't using M100 correctly when I was using it on some scratches that weren't coming out when using MUC or M205. So my questions were due to reviewing this thread rather than a specific situation at the moment.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by glennh View Post

at this time I don't have any needs/thoughts of totally wet sanding a vehicle. ...and the discussion of M100 caught my attention as well as I found myself feeling that I wasn't using M100 correctly when I was using it on some scratches that weren't coming out when using MUC or M205.

So my questions were due to reviewing this thread rather than a specific situation at the moment.

Sounds good... always a good idea to do research first and then sand... (or whatever).

Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound is formulated for use with wool pads on rotary buffers.

For dual action polishers mabye take a look at the M101 Foam-Cut Compound.

Also, check out this table discussion on Megs compounds....

Questions about Meguiar's M105, M101 and M100 Compounds? Watch this video!

Meguiar's M105, M101 and M100 Compounds Round Table Discussion at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Recently I had the opportunity to host a round table discussion here at Autogeek’s Show Car Garage with experts from Meguiar’s including,

Jason Rose – Technical Service Manager for Meguiar’s Professional Line.

Mike Pennington – Global Director of Training for Meguiar’s.

Steve Coronado – Marketing Product Manager for Meguiar’s Professional Line.

In this round table discussion the four of us go over the benefits, features and intended use for each of these incredibly popular cutting compounds in Meguiar's Professional Line. This includes,

M105 Ultra Cut Compound - M101 Foam Cut Compound - M100 Pro Speed Compound

The goal of this round table discussion is to hopefully remove some of the confusion surrounding the intended markets and uses for these compounds and to help you choose the right compound for your specific detailing projects.

When Meguiar’s introduced M105 it quickly set a new standard for both cut and finish quality for an aggressive compound. M105 is what is called a SMAT product, that is it uses Super Microscopic Abrasive Technology instead of old fashioned coarse “rocks in a bottle” abrasive technology or diminishing abrasive technology, (DAT).

Following the success of M105, Meguiar’s introduced M101 Foam Cut Compound in Europe where it quickly became the new hot product being talked about throughout all the popular Internet detailing discussion forums.

M101 was not originally sold in the U.S. market but due to super high customer demand Meguiar’s was prompted to introduce the popular M101 to the U. S. market.

Next Meguiar’s introduced M100 Pro Speed Compound, which like the M105 and the M101 quickly gained popularity in the refinishing industry, detailing industry and even the do-it-yourself market.

Jason, Mike, Steve and myself discuss all the differences and similarities between these three compounds as well as describe the variety of ways each compound was intended to be used along with successful non-intended ways these products are being used throughout the entire spectrum of the refinishing and reconditioning industries as well as the car hobby in general.

A lively and informative discussion that will clear up any confusing you might have as well as help you decide with compound will be the best choice for your specific paint correction and detailing needs.

Yancy Martinez, the Creative Director for Autogeek really does a spectacular job of directing and editing this video making it not only informative but simply put, fun to watch.

So grab a bowel of popcorn and your favorite cold beverage and get ready to learn more about Meguiar’s premium, top shelf compounds.

On Autogeek.net

M105 Ultra Cut Compound

M101 Foam Cut Compound

M100 Pro Speed Compound

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post

Can this wet sanding be done less aggressively by hand and still improve the look of factory paint?

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town and not much time to get online....

New Autogeek TV Commercial - Behind the scenes pictures!

The answer to your question is "yes".

Remember, sanding paint is the easy part... that's putting the scratches "in".

The tricky part is getting them 100% out.

What are you working on?

A: Daily driver with factory paint?

or

B: Custom car with custom paint?

Mike Phillips

Daily driver, 2014 accord with factory paint.
    Ive recently seen what a wet sanded and polished car looks like and ive decided my car needs to look like that. Im nee to all this but the obsession is setting in strong.

I'm kind of against the idea of sanding factory paint but it's really your choice.

Here's what I would recommend, get the 3M Trizact #3000 and #5000 6" sanding discs. You can use these by hand or machine but I HIGHLY recommend for what you want to do and with your experience level to use them by machine.

Get a Porter Cable 7424XP, a Meguiar's 6" interface pad and some clean water in a spray bottle with a few drops of car wash soap.

Then pick just ONE panel, I'd go with the trunk lid, machine sand with the #5000 disc and then remove your sanding marks.

This is about as safe as you can get and you can remove the sanding marks fairly easily.

Do this and see what you think of the wet sanding process and how you do. If you're liking it you can simply move around the car panel by panel. Maybe give the #3000 disc a try, follow it with the #5000 and so on and so on....

Mike Phillips

I just ordered a Flex 3401.
    Did you get a copy of my Flex 3401 How To Book?

I assume I could do this process with that?
    You mean,

Do you machine sand car paint and specifically factory original basecoat/clearcoats with a Flex 3401?

[/quote]

If that's what you meant, then the answer is "no". I explain why in my article here,

Can the Flex 3401 be used to wetsand?

Also, I would purchase a panel from a junkyard and practice on that before I would even consider putting sand paper to my car.
    That's actually the best way to learn sanding and buffing. Practice on something that's NOT important to you before you start working on something that is important to you.

Also check with your local body shops, often times they'll have hoods and trunk lids and you can probably get it for $25.00 or so and it's already going to have been removed from the car.

In order to get a hood or trunk lid from the salvage yard you have to pack in a tool bag, search through all the cars, unbolt the panel you want and then hulk it and your tool back back to the office to pay for it. Most salvage yards also have carts you can use to haul the panel back to the office.

Watch out for snakes and spiders and if it's hot outside, take a couple bottles of water with you. Been there, done this a few times in my life.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to wet sand with a rotary? Or is this not ideal?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by glisten View Post

Is it possible to wet sand with a rotary? Or is this not ideal?
    Well anything is possible in this world of you put your mind to it but that doesn't mean it's practical or a good idea.

If you were to attach a sanding disc to a rotary buffer and then try to use it - it wouldn't be called sanding it would be called grinding.

Mike Phillips

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234