autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to wet sand a car - video

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Wow!! That no doubt is the Pinnacle of all time lapse sand, cut, polish, wax & detail videos.

As usual, you're setting and raising the bar.

Awesome video Mike!!

Thanks Dave...

Even though it was a ton of work especially since I was working as fast as would be "sane", it was still fun in only the way us car guys can appreciate.

I do think this is the first time a complete wetsand, cut and buff was captured on video. At least the only thing that comes close is the time lapse video we did of the 1969 AMX last year...

1969 AMX Wetsanding Videos - Nebraska Help in the Heartland Project

1969 AMX - Wetsanded, Cut and Polished by Team Autogeek

Here are all the videos shot from when Yancy and I were in Lincoln, Nebraska for the 1969 AMX Wetsanding, cutting and buffing project called, "Helping in the Heartland".

Gets some popcorn and a cold drink as these are a lot of fun to watch as well as educational...

1969 AMX - Wetsanding How To Video - Part 1 - 30 Minutes

Part 1: Summary
    Wes introduces the story behind the AMC AMX and then shares the story behind the LS1 engine going into it. Then I introduce Ben VanEperen, the painter who we refer to as Ben #1. Ben shares the process he used to paint the AMX. Next I introduce Ben #2 aka Wors on our forum. Then I introduce Paul aka Sailfish on our forum, Paul is a professional marine craft detailer. Next I introduce Bob Eichelberg, the President of Flex Tools North America.

After the introduction we do a "Test Spot" on the hood to dial-in and prove our sanding and buffing process to make sure it works and we're not going to run into any problems. This includes,

• Hand sanding with #1000 3M Wet/Dry sandpaper - D.O.I. is explained after sanding with #1000
    • Hand sanding with #1500 3M Wet/Dry sandpaper
    • Machine sanding with 3M Trizact #3000 - This is called dampsanding.
    • Machine sanding with 3M Trizact #5000
    • Machine compound with Menzerna FG 400 with a Lake Country Wool Cutting Pad on a Flex PE14 Rotary Buffer
    • Machine polishing with the Flex 3401 with a Lake Country Hybrid Polishing Pad and Menzerna SI 1500
    • Machine polishing with the Flex 3401 with a Lake Country Hybrid Finishing Pad with Menzerna SF 4000

After all of the above steps the crew inspects the results.

1969 AMX - Wetsanding How To Video - Part 2 - 15 minutes

1969 AMX - Wetsanding How To Video - Part 3 - 11 minutes

1969 AMX - Wetsanding How To Video - Part 4 - 11 minutes

1969 AMX - Wetsanding How To Video - Part 5 - 10 minutes

1969 AMX - Wetsanding How To Video - Part 6 - 11 minutes

1969 AMX - Wetsanding How To Video - Part 7 - 9 minutes

Just to note however, the above project was never taken all the way through the complete process.

The Malibu I sanded and buffed I took all the way to final polish and machine waxing.

When I was done... the car was done... all caught on camera.

A good one for the old portfolio...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Mike,
    Just FYI, and in case you haven't already been made aware of it, Wizards products makes a really flexible backing plate...one of the most flexible I've ever seen. It's not very thick though compared to the white backing plate you were using, but it's way more flexible. The Wizards backing plate is about $30 if I recall correctly.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

What ever happened to the AMX project? I thought it as supposed to get presented to the guys son.

You'll have to forgive me if I haven't seen a thread, or lots of other threads lately. Haven't been able to spend much time on the forums over the last several months.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    What ever happened to the AMX project? I thought it as supposed to get presented to the guys son.

You'll have to forgive me if I haven't seen a thread, or lots of other threads lately. Haven't been able to spend much time on the forums over the last several months.
    Yeah, I'd like to know more about it too!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

Wes texted me a few weeks ago, told me the car was all finished and he would get me a video.

He also updated the below thread, start reading at post #37

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...project-4.html

Kind of small pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to know about all the process.I am a mechanic by profession and know well about the wet sanding and done many times when modifying the cars.As you know after the whole process car look like a new one and shines very excellently.I see your pictures in the thread.Nice work done on the car.I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sitting here debating whether to paint my own car and this should help if I decide to go that route.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ghji222 View Post

Glad to know about all the process.

I am a mechanic by profession and know well about the wet sanding and done many times when modifying the cars. As you know after the whole process car look like a new one and shines very excellently. I see your pictures in the thread.

Nice work done on the car. I like it.

Thank you... I never recommend to anyone to try to sand, cut, polish and machine wax a car in 12 hours but that's all the time I could get away with.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post

I'm sitting here debating whether to paint my own car and this should help if I decide to go that route.
    If you have the desire and the resources, I'd say go for it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Removed all sanding marks.
    For this I used the new Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound with a LC Wool Cutting pad on the Flex PE14. At the time I did this project back in March of 2013 this compound had just been introduced to the market, so it was a new compound and I think this is the first car completely sanded and compounded and caught on video using M100 Pro Speed Compound. Speed on the Flex PE14 = 1000 RPM.

Removed any swirls left by the wool pad and the compounding step.
    For this I used Meguiar's M205, the follow-up polish for M100 with a 6.5" Lake Country Flat Foam Polishing Pad on the Flex PE14. Speed on the Flex PE14 = 1000 RPM

Finish Polished to maximize gloss and ensure no holograms
    After using the rotary buffer with the M205 I re-polished every square inch of paint using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with a 5.5" Lake Country Foam Flat Finishing Pad on the Porter Cable 7424XP on the 6.0 speed setting.
    Great thread and video!

Warning that I'm likely to expose just how much of a novice I am with my question!

Question about the RPMs indicated when using M100 and M205. Is 1000 RPM correct?

I was under the impression that for "corrections", you wanted a high speed? When I've looked up the specs to my Griot Garage, the RPM range is 2500-6800, and when I've been using UC and M205, I've been using settings 5-6 with good results. I couldn't even get to the 1000 (well, perhaps under load) on the lowest setting. Where am I going wrong in my thoughts?

Second question, when wet sanding I'm assuming you used a higher speed?

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by glennh View Post

Question about the RPMs indicated when using M100 and M205. Is 1000 RPM correct?
    Yes. Just because guys buffed at high RPMs in the old days doesn't mean we have to continue that practice now in the new days.

Plus M100 is formulated for low RPMs so you don't have to buff at 1500+ RPMs if you don't want to...

Remember, clear coat paints DON'T like heat.

Heat is an unwanted and unnecessary by-product of the buffing process when using quality product with a rotary buffer.

I was under the impression that for "corrections", you wanted a high speed?
    There's an old say, goes like this...

"That's the way it's always been done"

I do almost all my compounding at 900 RPM which is the 2 setting on the Flex PE14. Sometimes I'll bump up to 1500 RPM on a trashed gel-coat boat.

When I've looked up the specs to my Griot Garage, the RPM range is 2500-6800, and when I've been using UC and M205, I've been using settings 5-6 with good results. I couldn't even get to the 1000 (well, perhaps under load) on the lowest setting. Where am I going wrong in my thoughts?
    You're confusing RPMs with OPMs

You're confusing a direct drive tool that rotates a pad in a single direction with a tool that has a free floating spindle bearing drive mechanism that oscillates the pad in two direction.

Second question, when wet sanding I'm assuming you used a higher speed?

Thanks!
    Nope.... you only use enough speed to maintain pad rotation. You don't want to turn sanding into grinding which is what you do with high speeds.

Read through this...

Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Especially starting at post #5

And this...

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

What are you working on?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast