autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to wet sand a car - video

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I personally think it came out really nice. For YEARS I've had people ask for a video on how to wetsand a car but no one is going to watch 12 hours of video.

LOL never say no one because I know I would watch a 12 hour video more than once .
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    LOL never say no one because I know I would watch a 12 hour video more than once .
    Same here,

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ken tuep View Post

Wow, you were hustling! A car that size would probably take me 20+ hours to cut and buff. Great job!
    All my life when I've detailed cars I pretty much start early and don't stop till the final wipe... It's not a great "style" but doing projects like this one takes both a lot of time and concentration and every minute you're goofing off, or getting a glass of water, there's work not being done.

Quote Originally Posted by ken tuep View Post

Were there any runs or other bad spots that required more sanding? Or just 3000 then 5000 to knock down the texture?
    There were two runs, one on the driver's side lower body panel and one on the passenger side lower door and I knocked these out after the fact using a Unigrit Block. Didn't what the "time" it took to interfere with the "big picture" of capturing the entire process from start to finish on video.

Post Thanks / Like

Subbed to watch the master over and over again!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I recently purchased the Flex PE14 rotary buffer and it came with the 6" flexible yellow backing plate. I noticed that you were using an extension on your Flex and what seemed to be a different type of backing plate. What exactly did you use and any particular reason?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a novice at detailing but I assume that wet sanding removes the clear coat and only the base coat remains. It must be more important that a good coat of wax/sealant be maintained on the base coat after wet sanding.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fosaladrigas View Post
    Mike,

I recently purchased the Flex PE14 rotary buffer and it came with the 6" flexible yellow backing plate. I noticed that you were using an extension on your Flex and what seemed to be a different type of backing plate. What exactly did you use and any particular reason?
    The extension you saw started out in the detailing world as an

Adapter

See this thread...

I use it as an extension to get get the body of the buffer away from the buffing pad so I can,

A: More easily see what I'm buffing.
    B: Get into tight, intricate areas.
    C: Clean pads easier when using a pad washer.

See these articles for very thorough and in-depth information on the above...

Trend: Backing Plate Extensions for Surgical Precision Buffing

Surgical Buffing

Video: Tip for cleaning pads in a pad washer

I took this picture some time ago to show how you can use an adapter or extension on a rotary buffer to make cleaning a pad easier when cleaning pads in a pad washer.

As for the white backing plate it offers a lot of flex or cushion so I prefer it for this reason. The yellow one you recieved is also a flexible backing plate just not as much cushion as the white one.

See this article...

Trend: Flexible Backing Plates for Rotary Buffers

Good questions and we'll be using a lot of these tools tonight when we sand and buff the 1928 Model A here at Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a novice at detailing but I assume that wet sanding removes the clear coat and only the base coat remains. It must be more important that a good coat of wax/sealant be maintained on the base coat after wet sanding.
    All of the clear coat is not removed. It is just the "peaks" of the orange peal that is removed to level down to the "valley's". At that point the clear coat is polished back to a brilliant shine. This all must be done delicately as the clear coat is SUPER thin.

Mike Phillips

I'm just a novice at detailing but I assume that wet sanding removes the clear coat and only the base coat remains.

It must be more important that a good coat of wax/sealant be maintained on the base coat after wet sanding.
    Good question Frank...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cullen View Post

All of the clear coat is not removed. It is just the "peaks" of the orange peal that is removed to level down to the "valley's".

At that point the clear coat is polished back to a brilliant shine. This all must be done delicately as the clear coat is SUPER thin.

Pefect answer Kevin...

By the way, Frank lives in South Florida and he joined us last Thursday night and has his first chance to see what wetsanding is all about...

Pictures: 1928 Model A - Wetsand, Cut and Buff at Autogeek

Frank's First Time
    Here's Frank learning all about how to wetsand, cut and buff fresh paint here at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

This was Frank's first visit to our Thursday night gigs and he picked an great night to join us as not only did he get to see the entire process from sanding, cutting, polishing and machine waxing a very cool traditional hot rod but he also was able to helps us restore the original paint on a 1956 Chevy Bel Air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    How to wet sand a car - Time Lapse Video

Back in March of this year, (2013), I did a complete wet sand, cut, polish and even machine waxed a 1964 Chevrolet Malibu and while doing this project, Yancy set the GoPro camera up to take a picture every minute.

It's been in queue for editing since then but I'm happy to announce it's now been edited and uploaded to our YouTube Channel.

How to wet sand a car

How to wet sand a car

Wow!! That no doubt is the Pinnacle of all time lapse sand, cut, polish, wax & detail videos.

As usual, you're setting and raising the bar.

Awesome video Mike!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast