autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean an engine compartment

Thanks Mike! That's pretty much what I've done to this point. Just haven't used any type of dressing. Where I need to get clean is down along the block sides and in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I agree with Mike...if i had that engine i wouldn't really feel the need to deep clean it! If you must, i like the Amazing Roll Off product Mike used on his truck to start this thread.

I think I may is what you suggest here and what Mike used - Amazing Roll Off. There is basically road crudd rather than grease from what it looks like. I think the assortment of brushes list in this thread might just do the trick. Thanks guys. I'll post up a before and after when I'm done.

IG: @azurebluemach

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just spray APC on the plastic bits of the engine bay, wipe with a damp rag then apply a protectant ? is it worth using a protectant ? whats a good cheap one ?

Post Thanks / Like

Last week I did a somewhat cosmetic detailing of my wife's 2013 Toyota Highlander. While it was mostly plastic and hoses, I did want to wash and apply cleaner wax to painted surfaces.
    As per Mike's great write up in the "Detailing Classes" section, I used DP Cleanse- All Exterior Cleaner (rather than a dedicated engine degreaser) as it wasn't that grimey and I wanted a product I could use on other areas (I'm a driveway newbie).
    I also used 303 Aerospace Protectant as preserving the rubber and plastic was more important than a "show car gloss."
    I don't have before and after pics as, although I worked with the engine bay in the shade of the garage entrance, the Florida sun washed out the photos.
    I was thrilled with the results!
    The big payoff was bringing my wife out to show her. She gazed into her transformed engine bay, paused then said... "Okay, what am I looking at?" I just said - see all the black stuff; it used to be gray.

One question: am I nuts or should I be concerned about wrapping tin foil around engine parts with all the electrical connections in there? I cut out plastic painter's floor covering and taped off with 3M tape instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
    ...One question: am I nuts or should I be concerned about wrapping tin foil around engine parts with all the electrical connections in there? I cut out plastic painter's floor covering and taped off with 3M tape instead.
    I avoid using foil at all costs.

It's just like waving a red towel in front of a bull...don't temp fate. One never knows if there may be just that on little spot that is open to arcing and sparking.

Yes to the plastic and taping, even some plastic food wrap works well also.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Been detailing for 23 years I've seen it all and done it all.

Mike has tremendous knowledge about detailing he is a good friend of mine we've done several project together.I would just add that always cover the mass air flow sensor if you get that wet just pick up and leave .

I never do engines for cars over 60 k mi . in fact I encourage the owner not to do it cause if u do and the cars is fine when you leave,expect the owner calling you 3 days later and asking you why his check engine light is on .

This always happens with imports .

Cadillac's are the worst .

FYI the the measly 50 dollars u get don't do it ,it's a crap shoot,now on carburetor cars is a difference u have yore standard spark plugs and distributor a lot of the cars from early 2000 have what is called coil packs so in essence beware of engine washing if the owner says to you that oh nothing will happen and insists that u do,better to tell him or in writing you're not responsible.

And those of you that wash engines all the time you're day will come and u will get burned especially if you are not insured.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just the opposite... probably the world's oldest rookie!
    I have the utmost respect for Mike's technique, tips and experience; it's just that tin foil seemed a bit risky for a newbie with less experience under the hood.
    Other than using plastic sheets only, I followed Mike's "How To" to the letter and I'm really happy with the results. No one will see it; but it felt great to step back and have a look for myself... and it was fun waiting for the PBMG box to be delivered!
    Now that the wife's car is looking new we'll see if I can get some time to clean my own car! (Florida heat is my biggest obstacle).

Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Definitely give it a try... one of the advantages of foam is it clings and dwells to surfaces better than a liquid which tends to just run off and onto the ground.
    wondering out loud if the foam you produced with the Tornador Air Foam gun is thicker than would be produced with a regular hose end foam gun?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KB in MD View Post
    wondering out loud if the foam you produced with the Tornador Air Foam gun is thicker than would be produced with a regular hose end foam gun?
    The tonador foam is much thicker. The foam guns tend to water it down to much IME. the tornador foam clings better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post
    The tonador foam is much thicker. The foam guns tend to water it down to much IME. the tornador foam clings better
    I though so but wanted someone the clarify in case anyone may have thought they produced the same amount of foam

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast