autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean an engine compartment

This was an excellent article. I never thought of using the foam gun to apply the degreaser. Great idea. I have one and will try using it next time. I am impressed with the results of the engine cleaning, and it didn't look too difficult.

Car Detailing Columbus, Ohio | Mobile Auto Detailing Columbus, Ohio | Auto Detail Doctor

Post Thanks / Like

Mike..I LOVE my Metro Sidekick as well!!!!!!
    Use it almost daily..blowing out engine bays, driveways, mirrors, door jams, interiors, and my German Shepherd! Cool tool to have powerfull and quiet.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Allerton View Post

This was an excellent article. I never thought of using the foam gun to apply the degreaser. Great idea.

I have one and will try using it next time. I am impressed with the results of the engine cleaning, and it didn't look too difficult.
    Definitely give it a try... one of the advantages of foam is it clings and dwells to surfaces better than a liquid which tends to just run off and onto the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer325! View Post

Mike..I LOVE my Metro Sidekick as well!!!!!!

One of my top 10 favorite tools....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    A product like 303 Aerospace Protectant, USED CORRECTLY is wiped to a hard dry finish, thus no oily residue on the surface.

See what I say about how to use it in this article in step #4

How To Restore and Protect a Vinyl Top using 303 Products

Mike, I discovered the protection benefits of Aerospace 303 Protectant 17 years ago while working in an RV Service center in Temecula, CA. We sold it by the gallons to a lot of the hard core over the road RV owners for their awnings, tires, outdoor furniture, and anything else vinyl, plastic, leather and even metal wiper arms. I've used on my own cars since then and my detailing clients too. I've never found anything better. My '98 Corvette looks better than new even w/ 90k miles on the clock now. I used on all the interior pieces as well as under the hood and tires. When I buy new tires, I apply a heavy wet coat of 303 on the total tire/everywhere the day before I have them mounted. I reapply as needed, normally for me 2-3 times a year for the Vette. I've converted a lot of car guys from using other products. I buy it locally at Ace Hardware stores.
    Keep the shiny side up!
    D. "Fix" Fixsen

1998 A4, F45, 3.15 gears, D&S rotors, Tinted glass, RMC Racing Twin Snorkle intake w/Performance bridge & coupler, A&A frame savers & rollers, Hypertech tune, ACI Splitter, Born 11/03/97

Post Thanks / Like

Hi mike,
    I got a question. What was the dilution ratio when you used ARO?
    Started back in 2006 reading Mike. P posts and lots of practices, ended up writing a book

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by irsankao View Post
    Hi mike,
    I got a question. What was the dilution ratio when you used ARO?

I think I was using straight out of the bottle. Really foamed up good.

Post Thanks / Like

With all that foam,the only thing missing is some loud techno & flashing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, it's finally time for me to do a deep clean on my engine bay. I don't have to daily drive her anymore so it's worth the extra effort (taping and sealing areas).

I can't decide on a product to try, so I thought I'd ask you guys. My concerns are gaskets, hoses, and aluminum. I want to make sure I choose something that isn't going to be too aggressive for these materials. Can anyone suggest a nice cleaner/degreaser? I have a garden hose variety foam gun from Adam's Polishes, so maybe I could use that, but I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks!

IG: @azurebluemach

Mike Phillips

That engine compartment looks fairly clean to start with.

Instead of spraying it all down with some type of cleaner maybe just so a cosmetic engine detail like this,

Review - NEW BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant

2012 Chevy Traverse - Cosmetic Engine Detailing

At our last detailing boot camp class we teach two types of engine detailing.

Full engine detailing - That's where you use an engine degreaser and actually wash out the engine bay using running water.

Cosmetic engine detailing - This is where you simply blow-out the engine compartment with air and then wipe the engine compartment down using some time of dressing.
    I let my class use the new NEW BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant to do cosmetic engine detailing to this 2012 Chevy Traverse.

Before

After

Before

After

It works GREAT for doing cosmetic engine detailing and the above took less than 15 minutes!

If you're simply working on your own cars you can include this as a part of your Saturday wash and wax and get it done fast.

If you're detailing for money, then adding cosmetic engine detailing as an upsell is a money maker.

Cleaner, safer, easier and faster.

Avoid the mess and the risk.

My favorite type of engine detailing for newer cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mike...if i had that engine i wouldn't really feel the need to deep clean it! If you must, i like the Amazing Roll Off product Mike used on his truck to start this thread.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast