autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

How to chemically strip paint for a ceramic paint coating

How to chemically strip paint for a ceramic paint coating

Chemically stripping the paint
    Assuming you have already reached the point where the paint is clean and smooth, now it's time to chemically strip the paint. What does this mean? In simple terms you're going to use a mild solvent to wipe the paint surface to remove any foreign substance. The best example for what this is all about is say for example as a part of the process of prepping the paint you used 2, 3, or 4 of the listed ways to prep paint above. A paint cleaner, polish or compound will tend to leave oily residues on the paint even after wiping with a microfiber towel. These oily residues will HINDER the coating from making a proper bond. So the idea behind chemically stripping the paint is to dissolve and remove any substance that could hinder the bonding of the coating to the paint.

This is the extra step that is required for use when installing coatings that is not required when using a traditional car wax or synthetic paint sealant.

Mike's Method --> Wet Wipe followed by the Insurance Wipe
    This is my method, you can come up with your own if you don't like mine. I wipe a car down twice.

First Wipe = the Wet Wipe
    The first pass is a very wet pass to remove 98% of any trace oils or other substances. This is called the Wet Wipe.
    You should spray enough that the product almost starts to run off like you see in the picture below. IF it's running off that's a tick too much, aim for just before running off.

You want spray down enough product so that it just starts to run or drizzle off the panel.

Second Wipe = the Insurance Wipe
    After wiping down the entire car I then wipe the car a second time only I dramatically reduce the amount of Prep I use, this is a moist paint I call the Insurance Wipe. This second pass insures I have thoroughly removed any and all trace residues.
    Fro the second wipe or the Insurance Pass, simply MIST some Prep onto a clean, folded Bald Wipe and use this slightly damped side of the towel to re-wipe a panel.

After wiping one panel, flip or fold to a clean side and repeat until you've made this second pass to the entire vehicle. Don't spray Prep directly onto the panel, you'll get overspray mist onto finished panels.

Remember to always inspect your towels before wiping paint with any product for any procedure. If you haven’t already, check out my article on this very important topic here,

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

2. Thanks _M_ thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, Bruno Soares, Breese147, The Guz, vobro and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to chemically strip paint for a ceramic paint coating

Great information I usually use IPA with a small bit of N-914 for the first “wet pass” to save some $ and then switch to the more expensive Prep wipe for the final wipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes DetailZeus liked this post